The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Does the LSE allow their student to take 2 years off?

As I am a South Korean male, I will have to serve my national service of being in the military.

At the moment, I am planning on joining the military after my first year of uni.

Does the LSE allow their student to take 2 years off if given with exceptional circumstance like this?
Yep, don't worry about it. I know a ton of Singaporean guys who were in the same situation, and started LSE when they were 20 instead. It's still worth emailing admissions to ask how you should put this across in your application.
(edited 9 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Blueconstellation is giving you very bad advice. That was pretty careless even if they are trying to help It could have been disastrous.

You CANNOT interrupt LSE for 2 years for military service like this.

If you do not believe me write to LSE Admissions. In fact, why did you not just do that too. It is pretty silly just to ask here.

Siingaporeans males do indeed do 2 years of military service FIRST. Then they come to LSE and stay all the way thropugh without interruption

Koreans or anyone who has compulsory military service can do that -- do the service first. They can apply to LSE after their first year of military service and ask to defer one year to start after their service completion date. They will have an unconditional offer by then since their A level or IB grades will be known. They can come at 20 and that is really great.

Or they can wait until after LSE

What no one, no one, can do, iis to take a 2-year interruption from LSE for military service.

So yws2012 you had better not do what you are suggesting. If you ask other Koreans at LSE you will learn quickly that after a few exceptions were made, most of which turned out badly, it is years now since this was allowed. You will get the same answer if you ask LSE Admissions, which is the smart thing. TSR is great for the student view, but not for hard facts like this.
Reply 3
[h="2"]The guy above is correct; LSE will not consider national service. From the LSE website:[/h][h="2"]Deferred entry[/h]Most LSE departments welcome applications from people who plan to gain some work or service experience or to travel extensively between leaving school and starting a degree. You can apply a year in advance, so as to secure your place on a programme.
If you are offered a place at LSE and subsequently decide to defer your entry to the next year, you should write to the Undergraduate Admissions Office stating your Personal ID number, name and programme, and also your reasons for deferring. The academic department will consider your request appropriately and UCAS will be informed of any arrangement that is agreed between you and the School. Two year requests for deferral due to compulsory national service will not be considered. Such candidates should apply nearer their intended start date.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending