The Student Room Group

AQA Maths A-Level (URGENT)

Hi,
How many exams are there for A Level AQA Maths? (i'm a first year student studying A Levels next year)

What are the topics for each exam?

useful revision tips/ websites?
Is A Level Maths very hard?/ Which module did you find the hardest?

Many thanks in advance :smile:
Yeah and how is this urgent?

Original post by pink.elephant
Hi,
How many exams are there for A Level AQA Maths? (i'm a first year student studying A Levels next year)

What are the topics for each exam?

useful revision tips/ websites?
Is A Level Maths very hard?/ Which module did you find the hardest?

uh well you have to do core 1 and 2 in AS followed by an applied module, normally statistics 1 or mechanics 1 depending on your school. In A2 you do core 3 and 4, with again, an applied module. In total there are six modules over the two years.
Core 1 is mainly an extension of what you learnt in GCSE whereas in core 2 it is an extension of core 1 with additional stuff like logarithms, introduction of radians within trigonometry and a few sequences.
In terms of difficulty, it is subjective, so far it has been pretty easy and enjoyable, but im weird like that cuz i love it! If you got an A* or A at GCSE or predicted, then the jump shouldn't be too large. Id say core 3 is difficult, just because there are so many new things, but it is pretty fun. You may find the applied modules like mechanics 1 difficult or easy depending on if you like physics, statistics 1 has generally been viewed as the easy module, which i would agree with. Buts it's very boring (IMO).

Revision tips, i would say just brush up some difficult maths stuff from GCSE to ease the transition, and actually revise each day so that any new stuff learnt stays stuck in your head (unlike some deadbeat students in my class who complain day and night that they cant do the maths questions, claiming that they have never heard of 'x' formula/method, revise you fool and actually listen in class geez.......)

Hope you enjoy maths A level!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheMan100
Yeah and how is this urgent?

LOL, BUSTED! :colondollar: Haha.
Actually, i've been planning to revise this holiday but i kept on delaying. . .
I'm going on a holiday next week and returning just before college opens. SO i URGENTLY need to start revising these few days before i go. . .

Any help?
Original post by ZeroSuitJawa
uh well you have to do core 1 and 2 in AS followed by an applied module, normally statistics 1 or mechanics 1 depending on your school. In A2 you do core 3 and 4, with again, an applied module. In total there are six modules over the two years.
Core 1 is mainly an extension of what you learnt in GCSE whereas in core 2 it is an extension of core 1 with additional stuff like logarithms, introduction of radians within trigonometry and a few sequences.
In terms of difficulty, it is subjective, so far it has been pretty easy and enjoyable, but im weird like that cuz i love it! If you got an A* or A at GCSE or predicted, then the jump shouldn't be too large. Id say core 3 is difficult, just because there are so many new things, but it is pretty fun. You may find the applied modules like mechanics 1 difficult or easy depending on if you like physics, statistics 1 has generally been viewed as the easy module, which i would agree with. Buts it's very boring (IMO).

Revision tips, i would say just brush up some difficult maths stuff from GCSE to ease the transition, and actually revise each day so that any new stuff learnt stays stuck in your head (unlike some deadbeat students in my class who complain day and night that they cant do the maths questions, claiming that they have never heard of 'x' formula/method, revise you fool and actually listen in class geez.......)

Hope you enjoy maths A level!

Thank you so much!
:wink:
is there any useful websites that you know of?
A level maths isn't hard providing you put the hours in. I got a B at gcse but at a level I put effort in so found it doable. To do maths you need to do questions the more you do the better

Useful resources are YouTube channels such as ukmathsteacher and exam solutions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pink.elephant
Thank you so much!
:wink:
is there any useful websites that you know of?

As mentioned, use ukmathsteacher and exam solutions for maths videos on youtube.

I use mymaths as my main revision website, nice and clear but perhaps bit basic, supposed to be used to help refresh your memory on the topic or as a supplement when teaching.

Quick Reply

Latest