The Student Room Group

Best laptop/tablet for uni?

So if my results go well, I will be getting a bit of money from my parents to buy a laptop or tablet to take with me to uni. Microsoft word is essential for work:smile: Any recommendations?

Thanks!:crossedf:
Reply 1
Macbook Pro 13 inch retina.

End of thread.
Reply 2
Windows 95 has a stable word processor.

I'd go with that if you only need MS Word.

You can find it for a few pence in car boot sales.
Reply 3
Original post by godd

End of thread.

Basically what he said.
I bought one a two months ago for my birthday and its great, so quid and efficient i also bought the Microsoft office student pack which comes with Microsoft world, powerpoint, outlook and Excel.
Original post by godd

End of thread.

Hmm. I'm currently using a macbook, not sure the name but its that not so recent white one. Do you think word works well on mac's?

Would it be worth upgrading? :smile:
Reply 5
I'm more of a Sony fan boy

Quite like the Vaio:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-15-5-inch-Touchscreen-Laptop-Black/dp/B00D080SZG/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1407772064&sr=8-13&keywords=sony+vaio

Although the only thing I could do without is the touchscreen... I see no need for one on a laptop! It is just draining perfectly good battery!
Original post by theycallmecurly
Hmm. I'm currently using a macbook, not sure the name but its that not so recent white one. Do you think word works well on mac's?

If your current model still works fine then probably not, they're well built and do last for a while. If it's a 2009 model you can upgrade to the latest OS X in autumn too. Microsoft Word works fine on OS X, as do many alternatives, like Pages and Open Office. In fact now you can get Word online through OneDrive, or similar tools from Google Drive, in any browser, reducing the need for any office software.

You can get a a MS Word for Mac and it works very well.

TBH before I bought a MBP this was one of my worries as I have plenty of documents in MS Word and Excel, thus far not had any issues.

I doubt there is a need to upgrade if it still works though if it is reaching 5 years it might be worthwhile to get something new just so you don't need to get one later when it is a more crucial time.
Depends, how much battery life do you need and what are you going to use it for?
In all likelihood, the "best" would be a fairly standard run of the mill £500 Toshiba :tongue:
Surface Pro 3, from what I've seen. The active digitizer makes it a treat to write on and replaces paper. Small and quick too. Also powerful. Tablet and Laptop.
Especially considering you got a Macbook already.
Reply 10
Original post by toxiictests
Surface Pro 3, from what I've seen. The active digitizer makes it a treat to write on and replaces paper. Small and quick too. Also powerful. Tablet and Laptop.
Especially considering you got a Macbook already.

I agree. I am going to be getting a Surface Pro 3 when it's released, although it is quite pricey.
Original post by meurge
I agree. I am going to be getting a Surface Pro 3 when it's released, although it is quite pricey.

Yep that's true, I am going for the 128gb one and I am going to buy it from amazon and I think I may go for the red keyboard. It looks nice :smile:
So if my results go well, I will be getting a bit of money from my parents to buy a laptop or tablet to take with me to uni. Microsoft word is essential for work:smile: Any recommendations?

Thanks!:crossedf:

Depends on budget and usage?
Also you'll have to buy word separately and install it
Reply 13
I have already pre-ordered the Surface Pro 3, with educational discount (MS Website). Will be great for uni with full windows and a great digitizer (pen).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending