The Student Room Group

Which tablet to use for Uni?

I'm going into my first year at Durham University this year to study English Literature and am planning on using a tablet/iPad to make lecture notes on. Which tablets/iPad are the best for Uni students? Does anyone know if Microsoft Surface tablets are good?
Original post by ellie_steele
I'm going into my first year at Durham University this year to study English Literature and am planning on using a tablet/iPad to make lecture notes on. Which tablets/iPad are the best for Uni students? Does anyone know if Microsoft Surface tablets are good?

Hey @ellie_steele

Congratulations on your place at university!!

I'm not sure about what would be best for English Lit specifically, but a lot of people on my course do use Microsoft Surface tablets. I personally prefer just to use a digital pen on a lenovo flex 5 because it means that I don't have to carry around an ipad and a laptop, but some people also prefer to leave their laptop at home and just take a tablet to lectures.

To be honest, my advice would be to research a few options over the holidays but stick to pen and paper for the first couple of weeks. Then you can see what others are using, and order an ipad/tablet to the porters lodge based on what you think will work for you.

I hope you have the best time at uni!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey @ellie_steele

I'm not sure about what would be best for English Lit specifically, but a lot of people on my course do use Microsoft Surface tablets. I personally prefer just to use a digital pen on a lenovo flex 5 because it means that I don't have to carry around an ipad and a laptop, but some people also prefer to leave their laptop at home and just take a tablet to lectures.

To be honest, my advice would be to research a few options over the holidays but stick to pen and paper for the first couple of weeks. Then you can see what others are using, and order an ipad/tablet to the porters lodge based on what you think will work for you.

What is a porters lodge?
Original post by Clivierx
What is a porters lodge?

Hi @Clivierx

Most universities, especially those with a collegiate system, will have porters. The porter's lodge is a bit like their office, where students can pop in to pick up their post, ask questions, or just for a chat and there will usually be someone on shift 24/7. The porters do a range jobs around college and are amazing at providing the students with support when they need it!

Nellie
Reply 4
Ahh okay, thank you so much!!
Reply 5
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey @ellie_steele

Thanks so much, that's really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending