The Student Room Group

Best device for Mechanical Engineering

I got my place at Oxford brookes for Automotive Engineering. It is essentially a mechanical engineering degree but with the focus on Automotive aspects and so on. Anyway, now I have my place, I have no idea what device to get. I’m assuming a laptop is probably better than a tablet, but at the same time, would I need a 2 in 1 laptop for the mathematical side? I’m really lost right now. Budget is about £1400. Thank you
Original post by kieranh1102
I got my place at Oxford brookes for Automotive Engineering. It is essentially a mechanical engineering degree but with the focus on Automotive aspects and so on. Anyway, now I have my place, I have no idea what device to get. I’m assuming a laptop is probably better than a tablet, but at the same time, would I need a 2 in 1 laptop for the mathematical side? I’m really lost right now. Budget is about £1400. Thank you

Hello,

I am a mechanical engineering student. You would need a laptop to work on your assignments and to use any Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) softwares such as CAD. This is if you chose to use the softwares on your PC, you would have the option of working on the softwares on uni PCs anyway. A tablet would be an added plus for stuff such as note taking during lectures, and for revision, but not a requirement in my opinion.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Definitely don’t get a tablet unless this is purely supplemental to existing devices. A laptop is probably the route to go, a good desktop will perform much better running certain cae software (in a £ for £ basis relative to a laptop) but most students benefit from the mobility of a laptop & use university PCs when they have to use engineering related software.
Original post by kieranh1102

Hi @kieranh1102,

Thank you for your message and congratulations on confirming your place! It looks as though you've already got some decent advice on what sort of device to get, however, it might be worth getting in touch with our faculty to see if they can give any further recommendations. If you already have a contact within faculty, you could contact them directly. Otherwise, you can email your query to [email protected] and ask us to pass it on to faculty. I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,
Daniel

Admissions Office
Oxford Brookes University

Quick Reply

Latest