The Student Room Group

What's happened?! Should I get a remark?

Hi everyone, today I got my results and was very pleased except in one subject. I was predicted an A/A* in Geography, yet today I got a B. Whilst it's still a good grade, my results seem like something is up with one of my units. I got:

86/100 (A) in Unit 1
82/100 (A) in Unit 2
108/120 (A*) in Unit 3
30/80 (U) in Unit 4

I sat all of the units this summer, along with another essay based subject which I got an A in. I didn't find Unit 4 any more difficult than any of the other units and actually thought I did well in it after the exam. I was getting A/A* grades in all if the Unit 4 past papers which my teacher marked for me, so getting a U shocked me and was really disheartening - I've never got a U before!

Should I get the paper remarked by OCR? I know it'd be rare for them to make such a mistake that they give a U instead of an A, but something really doesn't feel right here. I'd go up to an A overall if my raw mark increased from 29/60 to 36/60, an A* if it went up to 50/60 and I'd only go down to a C if it went to 3/60.

If I do get it remarked is there a chance my grade would go up to an A or possibly an A*

My exam board is OCR.

Thank you for any replies!
Reply 1
I think you should most definitely get it remarked because it does seem pretty strange that you have achieved A's in the rest of the units and you get a U in the last unit. Plus it is not like you can get any lower in that unit so you might as well try to get it remarked. Also do you know by any chance when the final date for remarks are and how are you getting it remarked.
Reply 2
Get a remark. As Chat Gris says you are not taking a risk and it looks very odd. If you have to pay (rather than the school) I believe you get a refund if the grade is changed.
Original post by Chat Gris
I think you should most definitely get it remarked because it does seem pretty strange that you have achieved A's in the rest of the units and you get a U in the last unit. Plus it is not like you can get any lower in that unit so you might as well try to get it remarked. Also do you know by any chance when the final date for remarks are and how are you getting it remarked.

I didn't need Geography for my uni offer so there's no urgency for a priority remark but I think I'll put in for one anyway tomorrow. It just seems so strange that it'd be a U!
Reply 4
Get it remarked for your peace of mind - but remember you've got into uni now, which is what it was all for really!
Reply 5
I agree you should get it remarked, but you can be marked down, and that will still affect your overall UMS score which can drop you a grade, However as you got A's in the rest of the units, it prob wouldnt be enough to drop you a grade
Reply 6
can you request a remark for AS unit 3 (chemistry and Biology ISA). I was sure i did very well in the practical so really surprised to have got grade E in that unit. Any advice?

Quick Reply

Latest