The Student Room Group

Should I get a remark for a paper I got well in?

For the recent GCSES, my lowest grade, a 7, was in history and it's also one of my a-levels, and so it's quite important for me. Overall, I initially got 83 marks which put me 3 marks below the boundary for an 8 (86), and having submitted a remark request for my two lowest papers, I've now gotten it back with an extra 2 marks, putting me just one mark below an 8. However, I still have one paper in which I got 27/32 that I could potentially remark, and if it comes back with an extra mark, I will secure a grade 8. Should I do it? A remark comes at around a hefty £40, which my parents don't mind paying as long as it's really worth doing. Thanks.
Reply 1
1 mark and your parents don't mind £40? I don't see what's stopping you. The worst that could happen is that you stay at a 7... not like you'll drop to a 6.

Also, I don't think it's that important that you got a 7 in History if you're doing it for A-Level, but it probably matters for you. What universities truly care about when it comes to GCSEs is your grade profile, or your average grade across all the subjects you did. If your lowest grade is a 7, then you definitely have at least 7.0 grade profile, which is good to say the least.
Original post by Fring
1 mark and your parents don't mind £40? I don't see what's stopping you. The worst that could happen is that you stay at a 7... not like you'll drop to a 6.

Also, I don't think it's that important that you got a 7 in History if you're doing it for A-Level, but it probably matters for you. What universities truly care about when it comes to GCSEs is your grade profile, or your average grade across all the subjects you did. If your lowest grade is a 7, then you definitely have at least 7.0 grade profile, which is good to say the least.

The rest of my GCSES were 8s and 9s so I'm not worried about the overall grade profile, but surely unis would look at history specifically considering it's one of my a-levels? At this point I don't even know if I care enough to get a remark but it's so frustrating being just one mark under
Reply 3
Original post by waterenjoyer
The rest of my GCSES were 8s and 9s so I'm not worried about the overall grade profile, but surely unis would look at history specifically considering it's one of my a-levels? At this point I don't even know if I care enough to get a remark but it's so frustrating being just one mark under

Honestly, if your parents truly don't mind parting with the cash, go for it. All 9s and 8s would be dope.
sent in the remark request today. all 8s and 9s here i come

Original post by Fring
Honestly, if your parents truly don't mind parting with the cash, go for it. All 9s and 8s would be dope.
For the recent GCSES, my lowest grade, a 7, was in history and it's also one of my a-levels, and so it's quite important for me. Overall, I initially got 83 marks which put me 3 marks below the boundary for an 8 (86), and having submitted a remark request for my two lowest papers, I've now gotten it back with an extra 2 marks, putting me just one mark below an 8. However, I still have one paper in which I got 27/32 that I could potentially remark, and if it comes back with an extra mark, I will secure a grade 8. Should I do it? A remark comes at around a hefty £40, which my parents don't mind paying as long as it's really worth doing. Thanks.

Heya!
Unis (e.g. Cambridge) typically doesn't look too much into GCSEs and only needs a specific mark on maths and English. However, if you are looking to apply to unis such as Oxford, then they do typically consider GCSEs and having a grade of 8 would help you out in this case, but 7 is very good too! If your parents are willing to pay for the remark then sure! :h: Good luck, I hope you get that 8!

Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 6
sent in the remark request today. all 8s and 9s here i come

Did you get it

Quick Reply

Latest