The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

University of Aberdeen Non-Drinkers Freshers 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Za.Ke
so do they really just sit around and drink tea and eat cake?

Yeah, they just hang out really, it's a new society, not sure what their plans for this year are. Sounds like a pretty chill society though, I'm probably going to join haha.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 41
Original post by GoingToBurst
Yeah, they just hang out really, it's a new society, not sure what their plans for this year are. Sounds like a pretty chill society though, I'm probably going to join haha.

Haha yeah it does sounds pretty cool. Sounds better than going out drinking anyway.
Original post by Za.Ke
Haha yeah it does sounds pretty cool. Sounds better than going out drinking anyway.

Yeah, I'm kind of over my heavy drinking days. When I do drink, I'd much rather go to a cocktail bar for a few or something. There's something about a 2 day hangover from getting pissed that just doesn't sound like a way to unwind anymore hahaha.
Reply 43
Yeah, I'm kind of over my heavy drinking days. When I do drink, I'd much rather go to a cocktail bar for a few or something. There's something about a 2 day hangover from getting pissed that just doesn't sound like a way to unwind anymore hahaha.

I'm exactly the same. Getting drunk to the point you can't remember anything isn't my idea of fun anymore. Plus I like to be able to hear what people are saying, 9 times out of 10 bars are too noisy! I must be getting old!
Original post by Za.Ke
I'm exactly the same. Getting drunk to the point you can't remember anything isn't my idea of fun anymore. Plus I like to be able to hear what people are saying, 9 times out of 10 bars are too noisy! I must be getting old!

Hahaha if you are younger than me I will be super offended :P

But no really, I'm the exact same way hahaha. My priorities have changed haha, priorities in my 17/18/19s involved all the nights out I was ever invited to. I was scared to miss anything. Then I realised that I didn't need to be clubbing 4 nights per week because I was always either drunk or hungover, skint and no one remembered the night anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered if I missed it hahaha. Plus I couldn't be productive in that state. And I like holidays more than clubbing, so I want to keep my money for that.
Reply 45
Hahaha if you are younger than me I will be super offended :P

But no really, I'm the exact same way hahaha. My priorities have changed haha, priorities in my 17/18/19s involved all the nights out I was ever invited to. I was scared to miss anything. Then I realised that I didn't need to be clubbing 4 nights per week because I was always either drunk or hungover, skint and no one remembered the night anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered if I missed it hahaha. Plus I couldn't be productive in that state. And I like holidays more than clubbing, so I want to keep my money for that.

Haha yes I do enjoy a nice holiday! I definitely can't cope with a hang over anymore, just the thought of it is enough to make me not want to drink. I have a feeling that I may be older than you for some reason... I'm 23.
Original post by Za.Ke
Haha yes I do enjoy a nice holiday! I definitely can't cope with a hang over anymore, just the thought of it is enough to make me not want to drink. I have a feeling that I may be older than you for some reason... I'm 23.

Not much older! I'm 21 :smile:.
Hahaha that's exactly like me though, I'm always first to stop drinking now because the thought of the hangover freaks me out. A few glasses of wine is enough for me. I run, swim and go spinning first thing in the mornings anyway, so hangovers don't fit in with that schedule hahaha.

What are you going to be studying?
Reply 47
Not much older! I'm 21 :smile:.
Hahaha that's exactly like me though, I'm always first to stop drinking now because the thought of the hangover freaks me out. A few glasses of wine is enough for me. I run, swim and go spinning first thing in the mornings anyway, so hangovers don't fit in with that schedule hahaha.

What are you going to be studying?

I just start to get sleepy, usually around 10 I have to go home to my bed, I'm like a pensioner!

I'm going to study sociology, what about you?
Original post by Za.Ke
I just start to get sleepy, usually around 10 I have to go home to my bed, I'm like a pensioner!

I'm going to study sociology, what about you?

Hahahaha oh man tell me about it! I'm up at 6am and on the go until I finish work at 9pm, so I want nothing more than to go home and watch netflix in bed.

I'm going into my second year of accountancy and finance. Have you had a look at the other courses you might want to take alongside your compulsory ones?
Reply 49
Hahahaha oh man tell me about it! I'm up at 6am and on the go until I finish work at 9pm, so I want nothing more than to go home and watch netflix in bed.

I'm going into my second year of accountancy and finance. Have you had a look at the other courses you might want to take alongside your compulsory ones?

That's a long day. Iv spent the last 4 years working nightshift so if I'm not working I'm sleeping.
I have had a look at the courses, I have a few that I'm willing to take. It's pretty hard, seeing as I'm not really interested in other subjects.
Original post by Za.Ke
That's a long day. Iv spent the last 4 years working nightshift so if I'm not working I'm sleeping.
I have had a look at the courses, I have a few that I'm willing to take. It's pretty hard, seeing as I'm not really interested in other subjects.

Eeek, I don't envy you! I worked a few nightshifts when I worked in retail and hated it.

Yeah, it's so difficult to choose when you aren't interested in the other subjects, I was the same way when I started. Luckily, the new students this year are being left to choose their own extra courses rather than being heavily influenced by their adviser.
Reply 51
Eeek, I don't envy you! I worked a few nightshifts when I worked in retail and hated it.

Yeah, it's so difficult to choose when you aren't interested in the other subjects, I was the same way when I started. Luckily, the new students this year are being left to choose their own extra courses rather than being heavily influenced by their adviser.

That is good I suppose, much prefer to do what I want not what I'm told to do. I think they could have given slightly more help though, it took me ages to figure everything out.
Original post by Za.Ke
That is good I suppose, much prefer to do what I want not what I'm told to do. I think they could have given slightly more help though, it took me ages to figure everything out.

Have you got everything figured out now? I'm working at registration week so I'm happy to help you out with everything if you want?

They really have been a bit of a shambles though, they've made a big fuss over the whole online course selector and scrapping advisers meetings for the past year, only to tell returning students at the start of this week that actually, most students still don't get to do it online and everyone has to go to a meeting anyway.
Reply 53
Have you got everything figured out now? I'm working at registration week so I'm happy to help you out with everything if you want?

They really have been a bit of a shambles though, they've made a big fuss over the whole online course selector and scrapping advisers meetings for the past year, only to tell returning students at the start of this week that actually, most students still don't get to do it online and everyone has to go to a meeting anyway.

Haha I suppose there's always problems when they try something new.
One thing I was wondering was that I was thinking of doing Swedish but when I put it in course clasher thing it doesn't appear. Do does that mean the course isn't running or is the course clasher not being updated?
Original post by Za.Ke
One thing I was wondering was that I was thinking of doing Swedish but when I put it in course clasher thing it doesn't appear. Do does that mean the course isn't running or is the course clasher not being updated?

Oh man, now that's a question I'll need to learn the answer to before the week starts. We've had plenty training and faq sessions etc, but that hasn't actually come up at all.
Generally if a course isn't running, it will specifically say on the course catalogue that it isn't running that academic year, so I'll contact the guy in charge of it all and ask him for you, as he's the one with all of the answers. I'll let you know the answer when he replies :smile:. I know for certain that the deadline for course co-ordinators to get their timetables back to the registry was the 26th of August so that the clasher could be updated, but it may very well be that they've missed those out or something. I'll be in touch with the answer though :smile:.
Reply 55
Oh man, now that's a question I'll need to learn the answer to before the week starts. We've had plenty training and faq sessions etc, but that hasn't actually come up at all.
Generally if a course isn't running, it will specifically say on the course catalogue that it isn't running that academic year, so I'll contact the guy in charge of it all and ask him for you, as he's the one with all of the answers. I'll let you know the answer when he replies :smile:. I know for certain that the deadline for course co-ordinators to get their timetables back to the registry was the 26th of August so that the clasher could be updated, but it may very well be that they've missed those out or something. I'll be in touch with the answer though :smile:.

Ah ok that's great thank you. I was just going to go to the registration session and hope it was running and if not I had a back up plan :smile:.
Original post by Za.Ke
Ah ok that's great thank you. I was just going to go to the registration session and hope it was running and if not I had a back up plan :smile:.

Yeah a back up plan is always a good idea, but I'll find out for sure for you so that it's a bit easier and you know what you're doing in advance :smile:.
Reply 57
Yeah a back up plan is always a good idea, but I'll find out for sure for you so that it's a bit easier and you know what you're doing in advance :smile:.

That would be a great help, thank you.
Original post by Za.Ke
That would be a great help, thank you.

You're welcome :smile:.
Original post by Za.Ke

I was wondering the same thing, I hope it's running.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending