The Student Room Group

Lonely at university

I’m a first year international student at LSE. I happen to stay at the largest hall which is supposed to be the ‘most social’. Didn’t realize however that social life is basically synonymous with clubbing and as a person not into drinking, I found it difficult to connect with people most of which go out every single night (for some reason there can’t be any non-alcoholic nights out).

Unlike the smaller and more tight-knit halls, there isn’t any sense of communal living here. Other than the hour-long dinner every night, people just go about in their own lives separately, visit their family and friends from other unis on weekends and don’t meet up at all except for clubbing. Even for the departmental welcome events, people just go straight back home afterwards.

I guess I just finally understand why people hate LSE so much. The atmosphere isn’t conducive to making friends at all really. The only ‘friends’ you’ll make are the ones whom you’ll say hi on the corridor, probably bump into during dinner then forget their names an hour later. It’s only freshers week and despite having met loads of people, I honestly can’t foresee having deeper and lasting friendships with any of them. Everyone is busy meeting their ‘friends from other unis’ and family and there is no intention to get together at all. I’ve been plagued with this persisting of loneliness since the ******* beginning and now I just can’t wait to leave :frown: anyone feeling the same way?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m a first year international student at LSE. I happen to stay at the largest hall which is supposed to be the ‘most social’. Didn’t realize however that social life is basically synonymous with clubbing and as a person not into drinking, I found it difficult to connect with people most of which go out every single night (for some reason there can’t be any non-alcoholic nights out).

Unlike the smaller and more tight-knit halls, there isn’t any sense of communal living here. Other than the hour-long dinner every night, people just go about in their own lives separately, visit their family and friends from other unis on weekends and don’t meet up at all except for clubbing. Even for the departmental welcome events, people just go straight back home afterwards.

I guess I just finally understand why people hate LSE so much. The atmosphere isn’t conducive to making friends at all really. The only ‘friends’ you’ll make are the ones whom you’ll say hi on the corridor, probably bump into during dinner then forget their names an hour later. It’s only freshers week and despite having met loads of people, I honestly can’t foresee having deeper and lasting friendships with any of them. Everyone is busy meeting their ‘friends from other unis’ and family and there is no intention to get together at all. I’ve been plagued with this persisting of loneliness since the ******* beginning and now I just can’t wait to leave :frown: anyone feeling the same way?

Sorry to hear things are not great yet, but don’t over think this, building a new social life and finding your people can take a bit of time, it’s unrealistic to expect it all to come together in the 1st week. The frantic clubbing thing tends to burn itself out after the first few weeks as workload ramps up and people realise how expensive this gets. You do need to put some leg work in, joint some clubs and societies to broaden the number and range of people you are meeting, suggest “non clubbing” meet ups with people you vaguely know from lectures or welcome events, e.g. lunch / coffee after lectures, a bit of exploring London at weekends etc. See if people from your tutor group want to meet up to discuss problem sheets or just chill.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

Hey. I'm so sorry your experience so far hasn't been the best :hugs:

I'm not in uni but I'm in a pre-uni college between MMU and UoM so I've had a similar experience. The welcome events didn't do much. Everybody seems to have come here with a group that they stick to. My flatmates are nice but they're party-goers and I'm more of a stay-in. My class is mainly dudes who tend to stick together. I would say you should try to find one or two clubs with ideologies you like. Club events are a nice way to meet people on a regular basis and develop potential friendships.

Also, don't give up so soon. Don't retreat into a shell. You're in a new environment. There are many people who are feeling the way you're feeling. It's a new and daunting experience. Give yourself time to get into a regular routine and assess the people around you. Friends will definitely come along.
(edited 1 year ago)
Just go with it. I mean I was at UCL and I hated it because of that. It's just like that, especially in London. Once things get going and you get into your course you'll meet some people and you'll be alright. Joining clubs or societies can also be good, most people are there to make friends. Whatever you do just chill out and relax and I can guarantee if you breeze along with it and take it all as it comes you will have people wanting to hang out with you.
Original post by Anonymous #1

I’m at LSE too - I feel the same way as you. Maybe we could hang out?
Original post by Anonymous #3
I’m at LSE too - I feel the same way as you. Maybe we could hang out?

This person was from last year but I’m at Lse first year let’s hang out
Reply 6
Hey, as a fellow non drinker, I am in your boat. But ! Rejoice! We have our health,time and money to our side. You have chosen well. Dont worry about others. They walk to their tune and you walk to yours. After a few years, the toll of drinking and partying will take its toll onthose who chose that path. In addition to this, they would have been content with shallow,superficial ecerebrate, empty small talk kind of conversations with nothing to enrich their minds. Trust me, you have chosen a good path! Stay on it and stay safe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending