The Student Room Group

Edexcel UMS to raw marks

I got 415 UMS in Edexcel Biology and I am 5 UMS away from the next grade. I am getting a few papers back because I am considering getting one remarked and would like to know how many raw marks 5 UMS is. I've tried Edexcel's converter and done some research but I can't find anything useful. The deadline for the papers back is tomorrow so I would really appreciate any help. Thank you!
Usually around about 3 but don't quote me :colondollar:
Reply 2
Original post by zetamcfc
Usually around about 3 but don't quote me :colondollar:

I was thinking the same, but I'm not 100% sure because I know it can be anything. Thanks though!
Reply 3
UMS per raw marks differs per unit... find out which exam you got lowest UMS on and see if your UMS reflects what you think you should have got.

Science exams often stick to strict mark schemes so it's unlikely they'll change by much - but it's definitely worth a shot. I would say that your final remark counts, but unless you lose like 75 UMS you're not gonna get downgraded.

Example. 100 raw mark paper has 140 UMS

UMS = 140/100 (1.4 per raw mark)

50 raw mark paper has 60

UMS = 60/50 (1.2 per raw mark)

To find out what UMS is equal to 1 raw mark, do the calculation MAXIMUM UMS/MAXIMUM RAW
Reply 4
Original post by Dylann
UMS per raw marks differs per unit... find out which exam you got lowest UMS on and see if your UMS reflects what you think you should have got.

Science exams often stick to strict mark schemes so it's unlikely they'll change by much - but it's definitely worth a shot. I would say that your final remark counts, but unless you lose like 75 UMS you're not gonna get downgraded.

Example. 100 raw mark paper has 140 UMS

UMS = 140/100 (1.4 per raw mark)

50 raw mark paper has 60

UMS = 60/50 (1.2 per raw mark)

To find out what UMS is equal to 1 raw mark, do the calculation MAXIMUM UMS/MAXIMUM RAW

Thank you :smile: Yeah i'd have to go down by 55 UMS to go down a grade, so hopefully that won't happen!!

And isn't the maximum UMS and maximum raw mark the same each year?
Reply 5
Original post by haniie219
Thank you :smile: Yeah i'd have to go down by 55 UMS to go down a grade, so hopefully that won't happen!!

And isn't the maximum UMS and maximum raw mark the same each year?

Uhh yeah good point. Convert 80% UMS into raw then do 80% UMS/80% RAW...but it probably won't change too much
Reply 6
Original post by Dylann
Uhh yeah good point. Convert 80% UMS into raw then do 80% UMS/80% RAW...but it probably won't change too much

Haha, thanks though!
Oh wow, all this maths is hurting my head. I gave it a go but had no idea what I was doing...
Thanks for your help. It'd be a lot easier if Edexcel just had a better conversion calculator :frown:
Reply 7
Bump

Quick Reply

Latest