The Student Room Group

Will I have time for IB if I have a job?

Hiya,

In September I'm starting the IB, doing HL Chemistry, Biology, English and SL Spanish, Maths, Philosophy.

I applied for a job at Waitrose about a month ago, it was advertised as being Thursday evenings and Saturdays. I had an interview on Friday where the lady told me there were a 'variety of roles' and yesterday I got a phone call saying I'd got a job. I accepted her verbal offer. But the hours are 5-9 pm on Wednesdays and Fridays (I get home at 4.45 from school), as well as 2-9pm on Sundays. I also go to the gym and am planning on doing voluntary work one afternoon a week in a care home as I want to apply for medicine. My contract with Waitrose is a 6 week 'trial' one, but she told me it is likely it will be extended and could even be made permanent.

So my question is, will I be able to do the IB, with its 6 subjects +TOK +CAS, as well as the voluntary work which I NEED to do for my personal statement, and still work two evenings a week plus practically all of Saturday?

Thank you in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by izzygrace
Hiya,

In September I'm starting the IB, doing HL Chemistry, Biology, English and SL Spanish, Maths, Philosophy.

I applied for a job at Waitrose about a month ago, it was advertised as being Thursday evenings and Saturdays. I had an interview on Friday where the lady told me there were a 'variety of roles' and yesterday I got a phone call saying I'd got a job. I accepted her verbal offer. But the hours are 5-9 pm on Wednesdays and Fridays (I get home at 4.45 from school), as well as 2-9pm on Sundays. I also go to the gym and am planning on doing voluntary work one afternoon a week in a care home as I want to apply for medicine. My contract with Waitrose is a 6 week 'trial' one, but she told me it is likely it will be extended and could even be made permanent.

So my question is, will I be able to do the IB, with its 6 subjects +TOK +CAS, as well as the voluntary work which I NEED to do for my personal statement, and still work two evenings a week plus practically all of Saturday?

Thank you in advance!

Although this is possible, I would not recommend it at all. I take similar subjects to you and am applying this year to study medicine. Doing the IB, you will have long days (at my school we start at 8:15 and last year I finished at 4:15 or 5:05 every day), lots of work and study to do at home, and your CAS coordinator will constantly be on your back about doing CAS each week. The work load will be fine at the beginning and will get more intense as the course progresses, so it might be a good idea to do the trial period and see how you get on. If you are extremely conscientious and don't procrastinate at all, you may be able to pull it off, but I know I definitely wouldn't be able to without going insane :P
Original post by Neverme
Although this is possible, I would not recommend it at all. I take similar subjects to you and am applying this year to study medicine. Doing the IB, you will have long days (at my school we start at 8:15 and last year I finished at 4:15 or 5:05 every day), lots of work and study to do at home, and your CAS coordinator will constantly be on your back about doing CAS each week. The work load will be fine at the beginning and will get more intense as the course progresses, so it might be a good idea to do the trial period and see how you get on. If you are extremely conscientious and don't procrastinate at all, you may be able to pull it off, but I know I definitely wouldn't be able to without going insane :P

How much do you need to study each day?
Reply 3
Original post by cheeriosarenice
How much do you need to study each day?

It really varies depending on which subjects you take, how much time you have in school to do work, and how much of a perfectionist you are. I'd say anywhere between nothing to a few hours.
Mostly seconding Neverme's response. Personally, I have a Saturday job where I work 8 hours; so far that's worked fine, because I'm able to do homework, study etc in the evenings and on Sundays. However, with the amount of hours your job's given you, and your voluntary work, it might be best to either do as Neverme suggested and see how you get on with the trial period, or ask your employer if you can do fewer hours/all of your hours on the same day so it doesn't take up as much of the week.
Reply 5
I actually have a job and balance it pretty easily! You just have to have good time management!

Check out my IB blog for more advice!

ibinib.blogspot.ca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending