The Student Room Group

PGCE doubts and IBS stress

Advice needed. I am about to start a PGCE in secondary teaching. I have been unsure if it’s the right decision for a few reasons, but the main is that I suffer from IBS.

Does anyone else have the same scenario? I know that the course and place is meant to accommodate you but i am also aware of the reality that in a short staffed over stretched school this won’t always be possible.

With the PGCE is there much time / scope to excuse yourself if need be?

Be interesting to hear how people got on. Probably not the best career to live with this.

I have been questioning if teaching is the right option for me and just can’t decide.
Reply 1
In my experience, teachers rely on colleagues to cover for them if they really need to leave - whatever the reason may be. But you're right. It's not always possible.

In the worst cases, teachers might even find their next class is waiting outside as they dismiss the current one. And that's assuming their lesson timings have gone to plan. As a result, some days can cut into your breaks and feel really unforgiving.

That being said, the last team I worked with were incredibly supportive. We communicated our needs, and covered for each other when we needed it most. And had it not been for a tempting job prospect in publishing, I'd have stayed put.

Trust your instincts. Whatever you decide to do, it sounds like a really tough decision. And I wish you all the best with it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Solent Student
Advice needed. I am about to start a PGCE in secondary teaching. I have been unsure if it’s the right decision for a few reasons, but the main is that I suffer from IBS.

Does anyone else have the same scenario? I know that the course and place is meant to accommodate you but i am also aware of the reality that in a short staffed over stretched school this won’t always be possible.

With the PGCE is there much time / scope to excuse yourself if need be?

Be interesting to hear how people got on. Probably not the best career to live with this.

I have been questioning if teaching is the right option for me and just can’t decide.

Is your IBS under control? That seems to be the issue that needs sorting rather than worrying if your life can be accommodated around it. PGCEs are hard work and can be stressful depending on your personality. But teaching as a general thing doesn't need to be stressful. Yes, you hear of the horror stories but not everywhere is like that. I certainly don't find teaching stressful any more and do just enough to get by which is pretty much the best anyone can hope for.:smile:

Get your IBS sorted and then you can do anything you want in life. Hint - contact GP. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending