The Student Room Group

Really bad stomach issues

For the past year I've had chronic stomach issues. When I go to defecate, the stools are loose, very runny, and explosive. It's like a combination of diarrohea but also constipation because it is often difficult to come out. I have cramps and aches. The bouts are usually brought on after eating lunch. I'm not sure what exactly would cause it, it cant be wheat as i have shredded wheat for breakfast every day and its usually fine after that. My stomach is like this when I go to the toilet like 75-80% of the time. It's so bad I even lost my job partly because of it, because I was in the toilet for prolonged periods of time trying to go, and then having to clean up after which was quite embarassing because of how bad it was. I also have excessive flactuence and its very hard to hold it in.

Been to the doctors and they've sent me for blood tests for coeliac etc and its all clear. My mum was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis aged 25, and her father died of bowel cancer. The doctors just say its "IBS" but aren't offering anything to actually help me with it. It's impacting my life in quite a large way, its makijng me even more anxious in social situations because I know there's a very good chance I will fart at least twice.

Can someone please enlighten me, I am going back to the docs with my mother this time to try and convince them that this isn't just IBS. my diet is absolutely fine and it hasn't changed one bit. I exercise 4-5 tiomes a week( a lot of the time the farting is in the gym and its unstoppable), I thought it might be the SSRIs i was on causing them but i changed and tis still the same.

Scroll to see replies

Why do you think it can't be IBS? IBS can be very debilitating. The treatment for IBS is changing your diet so I would look into that.
Original post by Anonymous
For the past year I've had chronic stomach issues. When I go to defecate, the stools are loose, very runny, and explosive. It's like a combination of diarrohea but also constipation because it is often difficult to come out. I have cramps and aches. The bouts are usually brought on after eating lunch. I'm not sure what exactly would cause it, it cant be wheat as i have shredded wheat for breakfast every day and its usually fine after that. My stomach is like this when I go to the toilet like 75-80% of the time. It's so bad I even lost my job partly because of it, because I was in the toilet for prolonged periods of time trying to go, and then having to clean up after which was quite embarassing because of how bad it was. I also have excessive flactuence and its very hard to hold it in.

Been to the doctors and they've sent me for blood tests for coeliac etc and its all clear. My mum was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis aged 25, and her father died of bowel cancer. The doctors just say its "IBS" but aren't offering anything to actually help me with it. It's impacting my life in quite a large way, its makijng me even more anxious in social situations because I know there's a very good chance I will fart at least twice.

Can someone please enlighten me, I am going back to the docs with my mother this time to try and convince them that this isn't just IBS. my diet is absolutely fine and it hasn't changed one bit. I exercise 4-5 tiomes a week( a lot of the time the farting is in the gym and its unstoppable), I thought it might be the SSRIs i was on causing them but i changed and tis still the same.

So sorry to hear SSRI can affect your bowel but if your doctor says its IBS than it probably is.

Have you thought about any lifestyle changes?
It sounds serious, good on you for getting it checked out :smile: hope your condition can be treated soon
One thing I’d recommend before anything else is trying probiotics. If it works and you start feeling better, forget everything else relating to your diet. You could try yoghurt, yoghurt drinks, kefir, fermented products or a brand. (I’d recommend Bio-Kult, as it’s gentle and has multiple strains.) I’ve actually had similar problems to you, so I’m speaking from experience.

If you eat the same lunch or there is a common ingredient, stop eating it and see if symptoms improve. If you have shredded wheat for breakfast daily, have something else and see if the same thing happens a few hours later. It’s difficult figuring out what you react to, but when you get rid of it, life is so much better. You could also look up the low-FODMAP diet and try it for a couple of weeks.

For flatulence, you can purchase Shreddies. (I’m not joking.) It’s carbon-fibre underwear that is expensive but stops the smell of flatulence and anything, really. The anxiety is something I empathise with, but it likely makes things worse. The best times I have are when I forget about it. Things that reduce stress (yoga, meditation) on top of your regular exercise might help. You could also try peppermint or ginger to see if it soothes your intestines.

Another thing: it could just be IBS. It could be something else. This can happen out of nowhere, and it frequently does if there’s a history of digestive problems in the family. Once GPs say you have something, they don’t care anymore unless you come with new problems. Do as much as you can by yourself, and if that doesn’t work, ask for medicines from your GP.

Edit: You can also PM me for any extra advice, as I’ve been dealing with my problems for about a year and a half and I’m coming out on the other side now. This does not have to be for forever. There is hope. You are not alone in this, even if you feel like you are in person.

Wishing you all the best.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by _Rusty_
So sorry to hear SSRI can affect your bowel but if your doctor says its IBS than it probably is.

Have you thought about any lifestyle changes?

I don't know what "lifestyle changes" I need.
Like I say I exercise most days, and eat well
Original post by black tea
Why do you think it can't be IBS? IBS can be very debilitating. The treatment for IBS is changing your diet so I would look into that.

Because of the history of bowel cancer and colitis in the family.
I also feel it could be coeliac or something like that because my bowels seem to be worse when I eat gluten
Original post by SagaciousSag
For flatulence, you can purchase Shreddies. (I’m not joking.) It’s carbon-fibre underwear that is expensive but stops the smell of flatulence and anything, really. The anxiety is something I empathise with, but it likely makes things worse. The best times I have are when I forget about it. Things that reduce stress (yoga, meditation) on top of your regular exercise might help. You could also try peppermint or ginger to see if it soothes your intestines.

should own brand work?
Original post by SagaciousSag
One thing I’d recommend before anything else is trying probiotics. If it works and you start feeling better, forget everything else relating to your diet. You could try yoghurt, yoghurt drinks, kefir, fermented products or a brand. (I’d recommend Bio-Kult, as it’s gentle and has multiple strains.) I’ve actually had similar problems to you, so I’m speaking from experience.

If you eat the same lunch or there is a common ingredient, stop eating it and see if symptoms improve. If you have shredded wheat for breakfast daily, have something else and see if the same thing happens a few hours later. It’s difficult figuring out what you react to, but when you get rid of it, life is so much better. You could also look up the low-FODMAP diet and try it for a couple of weeks.

Another thing: it could just be IBS. It could be something else. This can happen out of nowhere, and it frequently does if there’s a history of digestive problems in the family. Once GPs say you have something, they don’t care anymore unless you come with new problems. Do as much as you can by yourself, and if that doesn’t work, ask for medicines from your GP.

Edit: You can also PM me for any extra advice, as I’ve been dealing with my problems for about a year and a half and I’m coming out on the other side now. This does not have to be for forever. There is hope. You are not alone in this, even if you feel like you are in person.

Wishing you all the best.

That's exactly the thing. I don't trust NHS doctors, they do literally the bare minimum and will diagnose you with something where they don't actively have to treat you so they can save money, that or they leave it until its way too late to treat efectively.

It does seem to be after I've eaten things like bread, cakes pasta, so gluten etc but according to the doctors I don't have coeliac. However the hospital lab was recently found that they weren't doing blood tests correctly so again, I don't trust them.
I don't know what "lifestyle changes" I need.
Like I say I exercise most days, and eat well

Eating well is different for different people, have you spoken to a nutritionist?
Original post by _Rusty_
Eating well is different for different people, have you spoken to a nutritionist?

This is the thing. It's all very well the NHS telling me I have IBS but they don't seem to be doing anything to help me which is why I suspect it's not a proper diagnosis. I mean IBS is literally only diagnosed through ruling other conditions out. They haven't said anything about a nutritionist. I will press them on this tommorow. Like I said though my diet is pretty good
This is the thing. It's all very well the NHS telling me I have IBS but they don't seem to be doing anything to help me which is why I suspect it's not a proper diagnosis. I mean IBS is literally only diagnosed through ruling other conditions out. They haven't said anything about a nutritionist. I will press them on this tommorow. Like I said though my diet is pretty good

If they believe its IBS then its probably IBS. I've been under gastro for 12 yeqars and IBS has never been mentioned because they don't believe my condition is that.

Yes press for advice, its the only way to help yourself:smile:
I also feel it could be coeliac or something like that because my bowels seem to be worse when I eat gluten

They would have tested you for colitis and coeliac with the blood tests. IBS can definitely be made worse by gluten even if you don't have coeliac disease.

Try cutting out wheat altogether - e.g bread, cakes and look carefully at ingredients on everything.
Original post by _Rusty_
If they believe its IBS then its probably IBS. I've been under gastro for 12 yeqars and IBS has never been mentioned because they don't believe my condition is that.

Yes press for advice, its the only way to help yourself:smile:

Surely there is a reason for something like IBS to occur tjough, nothing happened a year ago that could have caused it
Surely there is a reason for something like IBS to occur tjough, nothing happened a year ago that could have caused it

IBS is a symptom and doesn't specify a cause
This isnt a stonach issue. This is a digestive issue. I ve had issues last year too and I still have them but what I find helpful is pure ginger juice, lots of water and cobra pose during exercising ie lying on your stomach and pulling your upprr body upwards.

Lots of water will ensure your bowels aren't getting dry and hard that makes the stool difficult to pass. Also ginger juice really helps the gut.
check for IBS and IBD or other bowel etc problems, see ur GP to be referred please
Original post by Muttley79
Try cutting out wheat altogether - e.g bread, cakes and look carefully at ingredients on everything.

It can't be wheat though; I have shredded wheat every morning and am absolutely fine, which makes it weird
It can't be wheat though; I have shredded wheat every morning and am absolutely fine, which makes it weird

You said you aren't fine though - it doesn't affect you immediately.

Quick Reply

Latest