The Student Room Group

AS biology or spanish??

I have just received my GCSE results, and i am now a bit stuck as to which option i should pick for my fourth AS level! I originally picked Spanish, but am now thinking of changing to biology as i feel i will find easier than spanish (as i know from friends AS spanish steps up a whole new level). Although i achieved an A in my spanish GCSE, i feel like that was by pure luck as since that exam i was preparing to look at a D when i opened my results. In general, throughout year 11 i was getting a higher percentage of consistent A grades in biology compared to C's and B's in spanish. I was a few UMS points from an overall A in biology but i just found that paper particulary hard in comparison to other mock papers! Speech therapy is a possible career path i want to take in the future, but i need some advice on what option would maybe be best. Thankyou!! :smile:
Original post by alex_1998
I have just received my GCSE results, and i am now a bit stuck as to which option i should pick for my fourth AS level! I originally picked Spanish, but am now thinking of changing to biology as i feel i will find easier than spanish (as i know from friends AS spanish steps up a whole new level). Although i achieved an A in my spanish GCSE, i feel like that was by pure luck as since that exam i was preparing to look at a D when i opened my results. In general, throughout year 11 i was getting a higher percentage of consistent A grades in biology compared to C's and B's in spanish. I was a few UMS points from an overall A in biology but i just found that paper particulary hard in comparison to other mock papers! Speech therapy is a possible career path i want to take in the future, but i need some advice on what option would maybe be best. Thankyou!! :smile:

First of all, speech and language therapy looks like an amazing career path :smile: ( I considered it) Biology would be really useful if this is something you know you want to do. If you're prone to changing your career choice (like me) Spanish would be a great fourth AS level as it doesn't really limit you and employers like people with language skills. I was stuck between German and Biology. I'm glad that I took German as it compliments my French. I won't lie it is hard. I got A D in my mock exam and I was really worried, I ended up with a B at AS. I'm going to resit my exam but with another year of German I am confident that I am capable of an A, languages are different from other subjects. You build on what you know. Its your choice and both are useful.
Reply 2
Original post by JamesJones777
First of all, speech and language therapy looks like an amazing career path :smile: ( I considered it) Biology would be really useful if this is something you know you want to do. If you're prone to changing your career choice (like me) Spanish would be a great fourth AS level as it doesn't really limit you and employers like people with language skills. I was stuck between German and Biology. I'm glad that I took German as it compliments my French. I won't lie it is hard. I got A D in my mock exam and I was really worried, I ended up with a B at AS. I'm going to resit my exam but with another year of German I am confident that I am capable of an A, languages are different from other subjects. You build on what you know. Its your choice and both are useful.

Thank you very much for your reply! It's good to hear feedback from someone else! I need to let my school know by sunday so i will have to do a lot of thinking about what i will choose :smile:
Reply 3

I did Spanish and Biology at AS and A2. Spanish was BRUTAL! The step up is insane! I got full UMS is Spanish GCSE but got a C in AS and A2 Spanish. GCSE is easy because you mainly need vocabulary, at A-level there is so much grammar to learn. At A2 it is basically like doing an English A-level but in Spanish (you have to study and film and a book).

Biology was also a big step up because there is so much content. If you are a hard worker then Biology should be fine, you will need to spend a lot of time revising though.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Adam'
I did Spanish and Biology at AS and A2. Spanish was BRUTAL! The step up is insane! I got full UMS is Spanish GCSE but got a C in AS and A2 Spanish. GCSE is easy because you mainly need vocabulary, at A-level there is so much grammar to learn. At A2 it is basically like doing an English A-level but in Spanish (you have to study and film and a book).

Biology was also a big step up because there is so much content. If you are a hard worker then Biology should be fine, you will need to spend a lot of time revising though.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Thank you for your reply- thats really useful to know! In general, seeing as I am a B/C in Spanish I think it might be the best option to go for Biology despite the miraculous A i got yesterday...! I am a very hard worker when it comes to revision and have a good memory so hopefully i should be ok on the AS course. Do you think my B at GCSE will mean i struggle or is Bio really about the amount of work you put in from the start?? (i feel I could have done a bit more revision for GCSE)
Thank you for your reply- thats really useful to know! In general, seeing as I am a B/C in Spanish I think it might be the best option to go for Biology despite the miraculous A i got yesterday...! I am a very hard worker when it comes to revision and have a good memory so hopefully i should be ok on the AS course. Do you think my B at GCSE will mean i struggle or is Bio really about the amount of work you put in from the start?? (i feel I could have done a bit more revision for GCSE)

My school doesn't allow people to study the sciences at A-level without an A or A* GCSE grade, because they are less likely to do well. However, if your GCSE B was caused by a lack of effort and revision then if you work extremely hard this year you may be able to get a good grade. There's still a big step up for Biology with lots of memorisation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by LeFailFish
My school doesn't allow people to study the sciences at A-level without an A or A* GCSE grade, because they are less likely to do well. However, if your GCSE B was caused by a lack of effort and revision then if you work extremely hard this year you may be able to get a good grade. There's still a big step up for Biology with lots of memorisation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes- my school says they will accept a B and above. I worked hard but not as hard as i know as i could as i was focusing on my 3 other AS options! I was about 4/5 UMS marks away from an A overall in Bio so I think that should show my teachers I'm capable of doing well! Thank you!
Reply 7

The B won't mean you struggle. It is definitely the amount of work you put in from the start. Keep ahead of what you do in school because I can almost guarantee you that you will not finish the course at school. Both years my school has told us to teach ourselves the last half-module to ourselves over study leave (and I went to a very good grammar school).

Quick Reply

Latest