The Student Room Group

Choosing A-level courses

I want to study veterinary medicine, and to get that you would need A*AA, two in biology and chemistry. I’m finding it hard to choose the third subject, I want to study something that will be easy to maintain so i can focus on Biology and Chemistry. I’m thinking about studying Spanish, Business or Psychology and was wondering what these subjects entail and the amount of work needed for them as I am finding it hard to make a decision. Thank you
Original post by sophiemacw
I want to study veterinary medicine, and to get that you would need A*AA, two in biology and chemistry. I’m finding it hard to choose the third subject, I want to study something that will be easy to maintain so i can focus on Biology and Chemistry. I’m thinking about studying Spanish, Business or Psychology and was wondering what these subjects entail and the amount of work needed for them as I am finding it hard to make a decision. Thank you

All A level subjects will have a similar workload so choose a subject that interests you and you will enjoy studying. My daughter chose psychology and found it very interesting and the concepts easy to grasp.

The best option would be a subject you enjoy. If you aren't sure of that, then choose psychology, it may help you when you deal with the owners of the pets and it may show you that there are other fields that you may enjoy; Bio, Chem & Psych are a great combination for a medical degree. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Do the subject you enjoy the most - because that's where you are most likely to get the highest grade.
It doesnt have to be 'relevant' to Vet. Spanish, Latin, PE, Art, Drama, Textiles whatever, would be fine.

Hi there

I would suggest taking the subject that you either enjoy the most, or the one that you have gotten the best grades. Hopefully this would give you an advantage.

Hope this helps
Chloe

I can give you insight for Business and Psychology.

For Spanish, you should probably ask someone who did it or speak to someone who is a fluent Spanish bilingual.

Business:
This is mostly essays with a few arithmetic calculations here and there. A lot of this requires you to learn how to apply business theory/tools to business scenarios and be able to think critically. The material is easy to pick up, but there's a lot to remember (not sure how much it compares to biology). The emphasis is on application over straight memorisation.

Psychology:
A lot of this requires you to memorise and fully understand psychological studies and the research methods. There is usually more emphasis on critically analysing the research methods over the psychological theory (which is probably what most people study the subject for). You would require to carry out your own mini psychological study as part of your study.
In terms of how well this complements your other subjects, people who pick biology have a tendency to pick psychology as well and they tend to utilise the same skills set.

If you're looking for the more academic subject, Spanish would probably be the better choice. If you want something that better suit your other subjects, psychology would probably be the better choice (assuming your uni isn't that picky). Business is an OK subject if your uni don't mind which subject you pick (be it academic or not).

Out of the 3- which do you think you will enjoy the most and get the best grade in? You need to get good grades so it makes sense to pick the one you will get the grades in.

Quick Reply

Latest