The Student Room Group

Change a Sixth Form subject already in progress.

I've already started Sixth Form with Maths, Chemistry and Spanish, but I'm thinking now about studying Medicine, can I later do Biology?
If I do Biology after finishing my Sixth Form, would I have any problems?
Can I then study Biology independently and take the test?
If I haven't previously taken the A-Lever Biology test, is it still considered a resit or retake?
Do I have to pay to study Biology later if I'm not 19 yet?
I found that without Biology my chances decrease considerably, what should I do?
Could anyone help me by guiding me what is best for me to do?
Reply 1
There are places you can do medicine without Biology, but you are correct it reduces your options.

You can do 3 A levels then one after in a different subject. But, different med schools have different policies on resits and when and how grades have to be achieved so this might limit your options.

The UCAT score you get will also limit your options.

It's clearly good to keep your options as wide as possible.

If you have just started sixth form in 2023 then would your school even allow you to change one to Biology?

Would they allow you to change it or perhaps to add it at AS level and see where it goes and then next year you could opt for the three that will def get you As as this is very important.

That said, better to get A in Chem, Maths, Spanish, than BBB in Biology, Chem and Maths.

If you are a Spanish national doing Spanish Alevel be aware that not all unis will count it.

If you started in Sept 2022 and you are on your application cycle for medicine now then stay the course.
Reply 2
NB, some schools have some flex on choices in the first few weeks of the year, see what they say if its even possible. You can only ask and make your decision later based on what they advise. If they say no that answers that.

Doing medicine with your current choices is not impossible, it just constrains you a fair bit. Goodnluck.
Reply 3
Original post by GGIN
There are places you can do medicine without Biology, but you are correct it reduces your options.

You can do 3 A levels then one after in a different subject. But, different med schools have different policies on resits and when and how grades have to be achieved so this might limit your options.

The UCAT score you get will also limit your options.

It's clearly good to keep your options as wide as possible.

If you have just started sixth form in 2023 then would your school even allow you to change one to Biology?

Would they allow you to change it or perhaps to add it at AS level and see where it goes and then next year you could opt for the three that will def get you As as this is very important.

That said, better to get A in Chem, Maths, Spanish, than BBB in Biology, Chem and Maths.

If you are a Spanish national doing Spanish Alevel be aware that not all unis will count it.

If you started in Sept 2022 and you are on your application cycle for medicine now then stay the course.

I chose Spanish as it is a guaranteed A*, as it was at GCSE. I'm not a Spanish native, I'm a Portuguese native, but I'm fluent in Spanish and studied this subject in secondary school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending