The Student Room Group

IGCSEs... how many?

Hi everyone
I am currently an A level student in Jordan and am willing to study medicine in England.
I took seven IGCSEs (international gcse) last year, getting a stars in all seven of them.
My question is: are seven a stars at igcse level enough to get me medicine in a top university such as the Imperial college? or do i have to take more?
I think that most colleges view igcses as equivalent to gcses, so tell me if seven gcses is enough.

Another thing i would like to know is if top universities accept Edexcel A level.
Thanks.
Original post by moh luther
Hi everyone
I am currently an A level student in Jordan and am willing to study medicine in England.
I took seven IGCSEs (international gcse) last year, getting a stars in all seven of them.
My question is: are seven a stars at igcse level enough to get me medicine in a top university such as the Imperial college? or do i have to take more?
I think that most colleges view igcses as equivalent to gcses, so tell me if seven gcses is enough.

Another thing i would like to know is if top universities accept Edexcel A level.
Thanks.

7a* is very good, congrats:smile: those doing igcses outside the uk usually don't take as many subjects as those in the uk, because you are limited by the school. 7 should be ok but medical applicants will usually have around 9-10. Hopefully someone can set me straight on this
Edexcel is definitely accepted by uk boards but honestly if you have the option of cie I would recommend that. Exams are slightly easier and marking is a lot more standardised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
what are the differences between igcse and gcse? or are you from outside uk but the educatin system is the same as uk?...sorry but i'm curious
Original post by Yux
what are the differences between igcse and gcse? or are you from outside uk but the educatin system is the same as uk?...sorry but i'm curious

I'm from outside the uk but went to an intl school. Igcses are completely linear and generally have no coursework while gcses are modular and have coursework.

Posted from TSR Mobile
7 isn't enough. All applicants will have between 9-11. Try and take a few more igcses, as 7 is honestly too low.

Also, yes, edexcel a level is accepted just as any other exam board is.
Original post by moh luther
Hi everyone

Thanks.

I spent quite a bit of time checking this out for my home studies in England. I spoke to Cambridge, Oxford and LSE and they all told me that IGCSEs are viewed in EXACTLY the same way as 'normal' GCSEs. They are just as valuable.

I was also unsure on how many to do. I settled on ten in the end, but none of the admission advisers said it makes that much difference, as long as you are not doing three or something. I certainly wouldn't do less than seven, and maybe even one or two more, but I would imagine you will be fine with what you have.

It's kind of frustrating with admissions advisers because they will never tell you you have no chance with only seven (for example), and its hard for them to actually quantify any difference the amount you take could possible make anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest