The Student Room Group

Which medical schools like excellent gcse's / excellent A2 predictions??

Hey,

I will be applying for medicine next month.

I got 9A*s at GCSE and 4 A's at AS level with A2 predictions of A*A*A*

My personal statement will be good but not great, and I am gonna be sitting the UKCAT soon.

Any advice on where to apply? I am gonna apply to birmingham but wherelse?

Rep for good answers :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by bd fan1
Hey,

I will be applying for medicine next month.

I got 9A*s at GCSE and 4 A's at AS level with A2 predictions of A*A*A*

My personal statement will be good but not great, and I am gonna be sitting the UKCAT soon.

Any advice on where to apply? I am gonna apply to birmingham but wherelse?

Rep for good answers :biggrin:
Howdy!

Here's a couple I know off the top of my head.

Birmingham - Streams applications for interview via number of GCSE's at A*
Cardiff - Uses Academics to select, only uses ukcat in tie break situations
Dundee - Places a 60% academic weighing 40% ukcat weighting for interview selection.
Queen's Belfast - For interview is based on a point system of gcse's and ukcat. With your gcse's and predicted ukcat you can get an interview.
Oxbridge - Like their grades, but also like a strong BMAT.
Barts - Use UCAS tariff points and ukcat selection for interview, need to be careful here, but your strong A-level predictions means you have a good lot of UCAS points.
Imperial - Need a strong bmat, but your academics are sound for applying here.
UCL - Same as Imperial.

With your UKCAT prediction, I would stay away from Kings, Newcastle, Durham, Exeter, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Nottingham. I would also be careful of places such as Bristol and Liverpool, that place a lot on the personal statement if you don't think yours will be terribly brilliant.

You never know though! You may do a lot better in the ukcat than you expect!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks a lot man! gave u rep!

Out of Imperial/UCL which one would I have a better chance at?

And with Barts, if I don't drop my fourth AS then I will have 4A* predictions but is it worth applying? I thought for Barts you should only apply if you've done 5 or more AS's or if you have ucas points from musical instruments, drama qualifications etc.
Original post by bd fan1

Depends how well you do on the BMAT.

And with Barts, if I don't drop my fourth AS then I will have 4A* predictions but is it worth applying? I thought for Barts you should only apply if you've done 5 or more AS's or if you have ucas points from musical instruments, drama qualifications etc.

1.Find last years UCAS tariff cut off for barts
2. Calculate your own UCAS tariff
3. Be aware that the cut-off does tend to get higher for each year and determine if you have a high enough score to make choosing barts a worthy choice

Can't do it all for you!
Reply 4
Lol cheers man, I will research it now.
Reply 5
Original post by bd fan1

If you get a UKCAT in the seven hundreds, I would maybe consider applying to Barts. You have a good deal of ucas points from your predictions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending