The Student Room Group

Formal definition of limits

Hi, so I'm just a little confused about how "using the formal definition of limits" proves anything.

For example, consider the limit as n tends to infinity of 1/n
Of course this is 0.
And the method I understand to prove this goes as follows:

Suppose N > 1 / E
Then E > 1 / N

For any n >= N

1/n =< 1/N =< E

For any E, there exists N in the set of natural numbers such that for all n >= N, |1/n| < E

Therefore, the limit of 1/n as n tends to infinity is 0

I just don't understand how we've proven anything... Didn't we choose E assuming that the limit is 0???? Couldn't we produce a near identical proof to show that the limit (n-> infinity) of 1/n is 1??

For example:

Suppose N > 1 / (E + 1)
Then (E + 1) > 1 / N

For any n >= N

1/n =< 1/N =< (E + 1)

1/n - 1 =< 1/N - 1 =< E

For any E, there exists N in the set of natural numbers such that for all n >= N, |1/n - 1|< E

Therefore, the limit of 1/n as n tends to infinity is 1

I know that the second "proof" is false. My question is, where in it is the error? Where is the mistake? I assume I have misunderstood the method, so any help would be hugely appreciated. Thank you :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TeslaCoil

1/n =< 1/N =< (E + 1)

1/n - 1 =< 1/N - 1 =< E

Here is a flaw.

If I have a sequence ana_n, and it converges to a limit aa then

ε>0,εRN(ε)N:nN(ε):ana<ε\forall \varepsilon >0 ,\varepsilon \in \mathbb{R} \quad \exists N(\varepsilon) \in \mathbb{N} : \forall n \geq N(\varepsilon) : |a_{n}-a| < \varepsilon

Note the absolute values.

Now you

have that if 1/n1/N(E+1)1/n \leq 1/N \leq (E + 1) then (1/n)1(1/N)1E(1/n) -1 \leq (1/N) -1 \leq E

We've just subtracted 1 so its still ok.

But it does not then follow that (1/n)1<E\mid (1/n) -1 \mid< E

For example 8<1-8 < 1 but 8>1\mid-8\mid >1

So you cannot conclude the proof.
Reply 2
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
Here is a flaw.

If I have a sequence ana_n, and it converges to a limit aa then

ε>0,εRN(ε)N:nN(ε):ana<ε\forall \varepsilon >0 ,\varepsilon \in \mathbb{R} \quad \exists N(\varepsilon) \in \mathbb{N} : \forall n \geq N(\varepsilon) : |a_{n}-a| < \varepsilon

Note the absolute values.

Now you

have that if 1/n1/N(E+1)1/n \leq 1/N \leq (E + 1) then (1/n)1(1/N)1E(1/n) -1 \leq (1/N) -1 \leq E

We've just subtracted 1 so its still ok.

But it does not then follow that (1/n)1<E\mid (1/n) -1 \mid< E

For example 8<1-8 < 1 but 8>1\mid-8\mid >1

So you cannot conclude the proof.

Thank you very much for replying! But I'm still a little confused. How come we have no problem in the first example?

I said there that 1/n =< 1/N =< E

And then I said that

|1/N| < E

How come it follows here that |1/N| < E ??

I know that in this example it is obvious that the limit is 0 and I can see now why my alternative proof was wrong. But how do I know that the first proof is correct. It seems to me that I am making the assumption that the limit is 0 from the start.

Like, how would you have approached this proof if you didn't know the limit beforehand? How would you decide what N is?

And (sorry for all the questions) how is the first proof proving anything????

Edit: ok, I see now why we can go from 1/N to |1/N| but why in this case is it bad to go from 1/N - 1 to |1/N - 1| And when would it be ok to do this?
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you very much for replying! But I'm still a little confused. How come we have no problem in the first example?

I said there that 1/n =< 1/N =< E

And then I said that

|1/N| < E

How come it follows here that |1/N| < E ??

The reason why it follows is that 1/n1/n is always positive. You had 1/n<E1/n < E. It then follows that 1/n<E\mid 1/n \mid <E as they are both positive.

But in the second example, it is not always true that (1/n)1(1/n) - 1 is positive. Remember in my example, it was the minus that meant we could not preserve the inequality.

I know that in this example it is obvious that the limit is 0 and I can see now why my alternative proof was wrong. But how do I know that the first proof is correct. It seems to me that I am making the assumption that the limit is 0 from the start.

Like, how would you have approached this proof if you didn't know the limit beforehand? How would you decide what N is?

And (sorry for all the questions) how is the first proof proving anything????

Well let us note a few things to clear some confusion:

1 - This method of proving the convergence of a sequence needs a candidate for the limit. So to find a candidate for the limit we use our intuition and (sometimes) some unrigorous mathematics.

2 - Just take a moment to look at what the definition says without the epsilons and Ns. It says that if I have a sequence that converges to a limit, then I can go far enough down the sequence (or take enough terms, whichever you prefer) such that the distance between my limit and the sequence is some fixed positive number (we are only interested in small epsilons for the sake of convergence)

3 - If I didn't know the limit beforehand, well that depends. If I could work out the limit using intuition or some estimation, then you could attempt to prove it like this. Otherwise, there are other methods of proof. For example, Cauchy's General Principle of Convergence can be used to show the convergence of a sequence without finding the limit.

4 - Bear in mind too, it is not necessary to find N. The proof does not require it. All that is required is for you to demonstrate the existence of 1 such N that works
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
The reason why it follows is that 1/n1/n is always positive. You had 1/n<E1/n < E. It then follows that 1/n<E\mid 1/n \mid <E as they are both positive.

But in the second example, it is not always true that (1/n)1(1/n) - 1 is positive. Remember in my example, it was the minus that meant we could not preserve the inequality.

Well let us note a few things to clear some confusion:

1 - This method of proving the convergence of a sequence needs a candidate for the limit. So to find a candidate for the limit we use our intuition and (sometimes) some unrigorous mathematics.

2 - Just take a moment to look at what the definition says without the epsilons and Ns. It says that if I have a sequence that converges to a limit, then I can go far enough down the sequence (or take enough terms, whichever you prefer) such that the distance between my limit and the sequence is some fixed positive number (we are only interested in small epsilons for the sake of convergence)

3 - If I didn't know the limit beforehand, well that depends. If I could work out the limit using intuition or some estimation, then you could attempt to prove it like this. Otherwise, there are other methods of proof. For example, Cauchy's General Principle of Convergence can be used to show the convergence of a sequence without finding the limit.

4 - Bear in mind too, it is not necessary to find N. The proof does not require it. All that is required is for you to demonstrate the existence of 1 such N that works

Thank you so much, this has cleared everything up for me!!!
Thank you so much, this has cleared everything up for me!!!

That's no problem. If I could give you one more piece of advice.

The best way to avoid making any error like this is to simply apply modulus signs to begin with.

For example, if I had a sequence xnx_n and I thought it converged to xx, then the first thing you should start off with is xnx\mid x_{n} - x\mid. Then do your calculations to find an N. That way you don't have to worry about what could be negative etc. The modulus signs are your friend! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest