The Student Room Group

SFE definition of part-time

Hi, I'm presently studying for a science degree as a second degree on a part time basis and am receiving funding from SFE. Please can you advise what the SFE definition of part time is in this context? I have made enquiries with another university to potentially transfer onto the second year of their science degree in September 2024 and they would allow me to spread each year of the course over two academic years by studying the first semester, then waiting and studying the second semester but in the following academic year. I would then sit the exams for the modules studied in both semesters at the end of the second academic year. Would splitting each course year across two academic years like this satisfy the SFE definition of part time, as I would only be paying 50% of the tuition fee each academic year?
Essentially the course needs to be on their database of part-time courses. This is important because SFE makes a distinction between full-time courses studied in part-time mode (i.e. a course that is normally just offered as full-time, but that the uni can make arrangements for a student to study part-time due to e.g. extenuating circumstances etc) and a course formally defined as part-time which is studied in part-time mode (which will normally be available as part-time and will be on this separate database of courses).

Provided the course is on the part-time courses database for SFE though then the exact format of how and when the course is taught and examined shouldn't make a difference - some part-time courses are routinely taught through "block release" in a similar fashion (albeit mainly at postgrad level). It sounds like this course may not be a proper part-time course and may just be a full-time course offered in part-time mode to me though - I would recommend getting in touch with the uni to confirm that.
Reply 2
Many thanks for your reply. The course I'm looking to study in that format is at Lancaster University, either Physics with Astrophysics BSc Hons (UCAS Code F3FM) or Physics with Astrophysics MPhys (UCAS Code F3F5). Is there anyone from SFE on here who could confirm whether studying either of those courses by spreading the two semesters over two academic years would qualify as part-time study for the purpose of SFE funding for a second degree?
Original post by iad84
Many thanks for your reply. The course I'm looking to study in that format is at Lancaster University, either Physics with Astrophysics BSc Hons (UCAS Code F3FM) or Physics with Astrophysics MPhys (UCAS Code F3F5). Is there anyone from SFE on here who could confirm whether studying either of those courses by spreading the two semesters over two academic years would qualify as part-time study for the purpose of SFE funding for a second degree?

Hi there,

There are not any part time versions of those courses funded by SFE unfortunately.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

There are not any part time versions of those courses funded by SFE unfortunately.

Thanks, Clare

Hi Clare, many thanks for your reply. Does that mean I would not be eligible for SFE funding, even if the course is actually studied part-time by taking half of the modules in each academic year (e.g. half of the first year modules in the first academic year, and the remaining first year modules in the second academic year)? If this form of part-time study is not eligible for SFE funding, please can you direct me to the relevant terms or guidelines as to what is eligible and what is not? There appears to be very limited information available on the www.gov.uk website, and it seems odd that students would be expected to apply for and accept places on courses without knowing whether or not they will be eligible for SFE funding until a subsequent funding application is made.
Original post by iad84
Hi Clare, many thanks for your reply. Does that mean I would not be eligible for SFE funding, even if the course is actually studied part-time by taking half of the modules in each academic year (e.g. half of the first year modules in the first academic year, and the remaining first year modules in the second academic year)? If this form of part-time study is not eligible for SFE funding, please can you direct me to the relevant terms or guidelines as to what is eligible and what is not? There appears to be very limited information available on the www.gov.uk website, and it seems odd that students would be expected to apply for and accept places on courses without knowing whether or not they will be eligible for SFE funding until a subsequent funding application is made.

Hi there,

I have enclosed a link confirming qualifications for eligibility https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Thanks, Jason
Original post by iad84

Hi there,

There is no part time version of this course that we provide funding for unfortunately. You may be best speaking with the financial department at the university to confirm which funding type this course attracts.

Thanks, Clare
Original post by iad84

Note that you can usually contact universities in advance to confirm if their course is on the SFE part-time courses database, as the unis themselves will be the ones submitting the courses to it. If they say no then it wouldn't normally be eligible under the part-time funding model as I understand.

It's a somewhat subtle distinction a lot of students/applicants don't know about (I only found out the other year!) but unis should be familiar with the concept and what you mean by asking (or at least, someone within the university should).

Anecdotally the only physics courses I recall seeing that seemed normally available as part-time were at UCLan and the OU. The OU also have their OpenPlus scheme, but the final year(s) of the degree in that scheme would be funded under the full-time funding model I believe as you will have transferred to the full time course at a brick university.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending