The Student Room Group

Urgent clearing advice

I contacted Medway school of pharmacy 2 days ago and they offered me an offer and an email confirmation regarding that offer. I called them up today and they said the offer still stands. So I rejected my firm choice and then added Medway as a clearing choice a few hours ago.

I keep hearing things about clearing number but idk what that is. All I did was decline my firm and then apply by adding a choice in clearing. Medway sent me an email with my offer details and they just said to add it as a choice
Original post by StonePone
I contacted Medway school of pharmacy 2 days ago and they offered me an offer and an email confirmation regarding that offer. I called them up today and they said the offer still stands. So I rejected my firm choice and then added Medway as a clearing choice a few hours ago.

I keep hearing things about clearing number but idk what that is. All I did was decline my firm and then apply by adding a choice in clearing. Medway sent me an email with my offer details and they just said to add it as a choice

You've done everything right (especially calling-up and checking that the offer still stands before declining your firm place).

If you're actually in Clearing (i.e. are holding no offer and no place) then UCAS will allocate you a Clearing number. Some universities will ask you for this when you ask about a place in Clearing. I guess it's a way of them confirming that you're genuinely in Clearing. However, so many candidates look for options in Clearing these days whilst still holding an offer or a place that it's become less important, it seems.

Now that you've formally applied for Meday through Clearing via UCAS Hub, they should be able to confirm that place once they're in again. That probably won't be until Monday now.

BTW, your Clearing number should be displayed as below, not that you actually need it now.

Application Status - In Clearing - Red Box.jpg
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You've done everything right (especially calling-up and checking that the offer still stands before declining your firm place).

If you're actually in Clearing (i.e. are holding no offer and no place) then UCAS will allocate you a Clearing number. Some universities will ask you for this when you ask about a place in Clearing. I guess it's a way of them confirming that you're genuinely in Clearing. However, so many candidates look for options in Clearing these days whilst still holding an offer or a place that it's become less important, it seems.

Now that you've formally applied for Meday through Clearing via UCAS Hub, they should be able to confirm that place once they're in again. That probably won't be until Monday now.

BTW, your Clearing number should be displayed as below, not that you actually need it now.

Application Status - In Clearing - Red Box.jpg

thanks for your reply. Yesterday some lady on the line told me my offer stands for 24 hours but the offer letter does not mention this at all. And I called again today to confirm and they said that I have the offer and they have to accept me regardless and they cannot retract it. What are the odds they reject me if they run out of space, this is my only concern since I rejected UCL biomed for this (due to lack of career prospects)
thanks for your reply. Yesterday some lady on the line told me my offer stands for 24 hours but the offer letter does not mention this at all. And I called again today to confirm and they said that I have the offer and they have to accept me regardless and they cannot retract it. What are the odds they reject me if they run out of space, this is my only concern since I rejected UCL biomed for this (due to lack of career prospects)

Well, different unis handle the Clearing process differently. Some will encourage lots of people to formally apply for the course via Clearing, spend a few days deciding which of those candidates they prefer, and then reject the rest. It's an awful way to behave, but some universities do it.

Most, however, take the approach that it sounds like Medway are taking, whereby if they make you a verbal offer, then they'll stand-by that offer as long as you formally apply via UCAS Hub within a given time window (e.g. 24 hours). It sounds like the odds that they'll now reject you are pretty slim.
I agree, I think you’re pretty safe as you’ve referred your app to them within the timescales given.
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
Well, different unis handle the Clearing process differently. Some will encourage lots of people to formally apply for the course via Clearing, spend a few days deciding which of those candidates they prefer, and then reject the rest. It's an awful way to behave, but some universities do it.

Most, however, take the approach that it sounds like Medway are taking, whereby if they make you a verbal offer, then they'll stand-by that offer as long as you formally apply via UCAS Hub within a given time window (e.g. 24 hours). It sounds like the odds that they'll now reject you are pretty slim.

Yh when the lady said I have 24 hours to apply it was already a day gone and I only formally applied today after 2 days. But I ensured to call up just to see if they will accept me. Plus my offer letter had no time frame limit
Yh when the lady said I have 24 hours to apply it was already a day gone and I only formally applied today after 2 days. But I ensured to call up just to see if they will accept me. Plus my offer letter had no time frame limit

Well, there will be a time limit. Suppose you waited until the day before the course began before formally applying via UCAS Hub. Too late, right?

The very reason the course is in Clearing is that they're trying to fill it. The last thing they want is for them to have set aside spaces to particular students, and then start turning away other students, only to have the original students not formally apply and go elsewhere. Hence the time limit.

The fact that you called-up just before should mean you have no issue here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending