The Student Room Group

clearing if you haven't applied for university

Hi, my sister hasn't applied for uni this year however she is now considering going through clearing to get onto a course. Does she have to complete an application first and does she need her college reference still? Or can she just call up clearing lines and just go from there? Thank you
Reply 1
I mean, it's really not something I'd recommend... You're only eligible for student finance once in your life, you'll probably have a significant amount for it coming out of your pay for the rest of your life, it'll likely significantly determine what career you'll be doing for the next 60 years, etc.

It can wait a year. A year is nothing in the scheme of 40-50-60 years of employment. Jeff Bezos was in his 30s before he founded Amazon. These decisions shouldn't be rushed.
Reply 2
Original post by JoeTSR
I mean, it's really not something I'd recommend... You're only eligible for student finance once in your life, you'll probably have a significant amount for it coming out of your pay for the rest of your life, it'll likely significantly determine what career you'll be doing for the next 60 years, etc.

It can wait a year. A year is nothing in the scheme of 40-50-60 years of employment. Jeff Bezos was in his 30s before he founded Amazon. These decisions shouldn't be rushed.

This didn't answer my question at all???
Reply 3
Original post by dadadeedadada
This didn't answer my question at all???

I wish we still had the neg rep button.
Reply 4
Original post by JoeTSR
I wish we still had the neg rep button.

wdym. I asked a question, you didn't answer it and instead started giving me a lecture which i definitely didn't ask for. If you don't know the answer, then just don't answer??
Original post by JoeTSR

“Significant amount”.

I can say if you’re earning around £2k per month (take home), you’ll only pay back £20 per month (I was earning this in my first job, so I can say this as fact).

In all honesty, I wouldn’t do it this year though, you would be rushing into a course essentially and have issues finding one which you could be happy with and not full at this stage as you’ll need to wait for the UCAS application to go through and then have to go through clearing should you not like the result.

I would strongly advice applying for next year at this stage and possibly looking into getting a job this year to help with the finances. Yes you can get a student loan but you don’t have much to play with tbh. It would also strengthen your application if in the field you wish to go into.

But that’s my opinion. 🙂
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi, my sister hasn't applied for uni this year however she is now considering going through clearing to get onto a course. Does she have to complete an application first and does she need her college reference still? Or can she just call up clearing lines and just go from there? Thank you

Clearing is part of the UCAS scheme. All clearing applications have to go through ucas eventually - either by the applicant submitting a ucas application or by the university submitting an application on their behalf.

Only a small number of (usually desperate) universities will be willing to submit an application on behalf of an applicant (called an RPA) - if you rely on this method it will limit your choices significantly.

I would strongly recommend your sister submits a UCAS application today if possible. I would say submit without a reference for speed purposes and ask her teachers for an academic reference on pdf emailed to her tomorrow when she collects her results so she can send it to universities directly if they require it.

Your sister will need to add a University to UCAS so usually you won't be able to bypass that.

In terms of making an application, in short no there won't need to be one in the same form as those who applied in Jan/Feb for example. It's worth seeing if her chosen University has phone lines open day to have an initial discussion as to what their processes are as it can differ.

Universities can also make an informal offer, with the condition being grades are met, before tomorrow as well. You would then send your confirmed grades to them to receive the formal offer but this can help you get a little head start before tomorrow.
Original post by JoeTSR
I mean that you sound entitled as ****. Other people aren't your lackeys.

Just giving a little advice to avoid her taking on £60k of debt that she's likely to regret in a few years.

You're not obligated to give an answer if you don't want to...
Reply 9
Original post by vapordave
You're not obligated to give an answer if you don't want to...

I'm happy to give answers. Not happy to get attitude from entitled teenagers. Removing this thread from my watchlist now, I cba.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by JoeTSR
I'm happy to give answers. Not happy to get attitude from entitled teenagers. Removing this thread from my watchlist now, I cba.

This isn't an airport, no need to announce your departure.
Original post by vapordave
This isn't an airport, no need to announce your departure.

lol

Hello,

Clearing gives you the opportunity to find a place at university even if you haven't previously applied.

Here are some of our top tips on preparing for Clearing that might be helpful 👉 https://www.derby.ac.uk/blog/clearing-top-tips-to-get-your-university-place/

Best of luck! 😊
Original post by PQ
Only a small number of (usually desperate) universities will be willing to submit an application on behalf of an applicant (called an RPA) - if you rely on this method it will limit your choices significantly.

As evidenced by some of the replies from universities on this thread.

Some universities will push potential applicants towards the RPA route specifically because they know it limits their options and makes them more likely to recruit the applicant. It’s them acting in their own interests and not in the best interests of applicants.
Original post by PQ
As evidenced by some of the replies from universities on this thread.

Some universities will push potential applicants towards the RPA route specifically because they know it limits their options and makes them more likely to recruit the applicant. It’s them acting in their own interests and not in the best interests of applicants.

As it's just Derby university and us who have commented, I'm not sure where either of us have pushed anyone towards the RPA route? It would be great to get some clarity on the wording which made it sound like this is a route on offer? As if it's something in our post it did not mean to come across that way and the RPA route is not something we would offer unless there was absolutely no alternatives, due to the reasons you have mentioned above.

- LT
Original post by CCCUOfficial
As it's just Derby university and us who have commented, I'm not sure where either of us have pushed anyone towards the RPA route? It would be great to get some clarity on the wording which made it sound like this is a route on offer? As if it's something in our post it did not mean to come across that way and the RPA route is not something we would offer unless there was absolutely no alternatives, due to the reasons you have mentioned above.

- LT

this read to me like you were encouraging an RPA route “Universities can also make an informal offer, with the condition being grades are met, before tomorrow as well. You would then send your confirmed grades to them to receive the formal offer”
it’s probably just imprecise wording to promote the option of provisional clearing offers but it isn’t necessarily helpful - especially when the OP hasn’t actually said anything about his sister waiting for results.

Apologies for jumping on it and assuming the worst - it’s something I’ve seen some less responsible reps encourage on TSR in the past when applicants ask about clearing “outside” UCAS so it’s something I like to put applicants on guard for.

Thanks for clarifying that you wouldn’t offer (or push) RPA under normal circumstances :smile: it’s good to know. RPAs do have their uses but there’s definitely some sharks out there that use them to an applicant’s disadvantage.
Original post by University of Derby
Hello,

Clearing gives you the opportunity to find a place at university even if you haven't previously applied.

Here are some of our top tips on preparing for Clearing that might be helpful 👉 https://www.derby.ac.uk/blog/clearing-top-tips-to-get-your-university-place/

Best of luck! 😊

Original post by CCCUOfficial

- LT

Original post by PQ
this read to me like you were encouraging an RPA route “Universities can also make an informal offer, with the condition being grades are met, before tomorrow as well. You would then send your confirmed grades to them to receive the formal offer”
it’s probably just imprecise wording to promote the option of provisional clearing offers but it isn’t necessarily helpful - especially when the OP hasn’t actually said anything about his sister waiting for results.

Apologies for jumping on it and assuming the worst - it’s something I’ve seen some less responsible reps encourage on TSR in the past when applicants ask about clearing “outside” UCAS so it’s something I like to put applicants on guard for.

Thanks for clarifying that you wouldn’t offer (or push) RPA under normal circumstances :smile: it’s good to know. RPAs do have their uses but there’s definitely some sharks out there that use them to an applicant’s disadvantage.

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending