The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

I wish I was going to QMUL. GUTTED.

I got BCC. I was predicted ABB - missed out on my offer due to personal issues, so I have a place at Hull. But I was so determined to get a place at QMUL, I am actually really gutted. I thought about retaking, but I don't know if I could go through A level pain again, it was just too much! Plus, I don't think I could increase the grades I even got without a teacher! Lol.

Guess I am just venting, haha.
Original post by Utterly-confused
I got BCC. I was predicted ABB - missed out on my offer due to personal issues, so I have a place at Hull. But I was so determined to get a place at QMUL, I am actually really gutted. I thought about retaking, but I don't know if I could go through A level pain again, it was just too much! Plus, I don't think I could increase the grades I even got without a teacher! Lol.

Yep, you are venting. Either retake, reapply or go to Hull; you seem aware of your options. You could still get into a London uni with those grades or maybe you could do a foundation year at QMUL?
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Which course was that? I was asked for ABB but got D*BCC though I was still given a place for Physics.

You'll probably be happy at Hull and really apart from the location it's still going to be all the same stuff anyway; there'll still be the student life and the course will be the same (if you applied for the same course) so unless there's something particular about QMUL I don't think you'll be too bothered once you're at Hull.

BTW isn't it a bit late to be deciding this stuff!?

EDIT: I just realised I received BBC; not BCC.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bownessie
Yep, you are venting. Either retake, reapply or go to Hull; you seem aware of your options. You could still get into a London uni with those grades or maybe you could do a foundation year at QMUL?

No college would take me on as a retake! They said my grades are good enough for Uni. I like Hull's course, but I had my heart set on living in London.. Oh well. I can't re-apply, grades aren't good enough, and the other London unis didn't have as good course for English and History.
Original post by Charlular
Which course was that? I was asked for ABB but got D*BCC though I was still given a place for Physics.

You'll probably be happy at Hull and really apart from the location it's still going to be all the same stuff anyway; there'll still be the student life and the course will be the same (if you applied for the same course) so unless there's something particular about QMUL I don't think you'll be too bothered once you're at Hull.

BTW isn't it a bit late to be deciding this stuff!?

To be fair, I haven't even got my accommodation! I am still waiting on it, so if I don't get it, I will have to defer a year. It's just got me thinking!

It was English and History joint honours. They said I could come in if I had ABC, but I got BCC. :frown:

I hope so! I just wish I was in London! It's closer to home too, so that helps.
No college would take me on as a retake! They said my grades are good enough for Uni. I like Hull's course, but I had my heart set on living in London.. Oh well. I can't re-apply, grades aren't good enough, and the other London unis didn't have as good course for English and History.

Have you checked if it's possible to do a foundation year at another uni (such as Hull) and then transfer to QMUL for the full course or even if it's possible to do the foundation year at QMUL?

Same here!! Had my heart set on QM, missed my ABB offer and have a place at City. Still gutted i didn't get in :frown:
Have you checked if it's possible to do a foundation year at another uni (such as Hull) and then transfer to QMUL for the full course or even if it's possible to do the foundation year at QMUL?

I don't really want to do that, I wanted to get into uni and get out. Otherwise uni will drag onto 5 years in total, as I want to do PGCE. Thanks for the help.
To be fair, I haven't even got my accommodation! I am still waiting on it, so if I don't get it, I will have to defer a year. It's just got me thinking!

It was English and History joint honours. They said I could come in if I had ABC, but I got BCC. :frown:

I hope so! I just wish I was in London! It's closer to home too, so that helps.

There's always private accommodation, QMUL wouldn't give me accommodation because it was my insurance choice (yet the give some to those going through clearing, wtf?) so I'm paying £189 per week for somewhere that's not even super close to the uni (at least I might get a good walk a couple of times per day). Maybe you should look at this as an opportunity anyway, I wanted to be far away from home to actually become independent (microwave meals are about the best I can do regarding food).

As long as you stick with it and make the most of it then you'll love it anyway.
Original post by Psyc_Girl
Same here!! Had my heart set on QM, missed my ABB offer and have a place at City. Still gutted i didn't get in :frown:

I know how it feels! What did you get, mind me asking? Did you call them up and ask to let you in still? Mine said I needed 300, rather than the 340, but I still didn't get that, haha.
I know how it feels! What did you get, mind me asking? Did you call them up and ask to let you in still? Mine said I needed 300, rather than the 340, but I still didn't get that, haha.

Overall I finished with BBCac, rang them up they said nothing they can do for me unless I have ABB :frown: ahwell, hopefully I'll be happy a at City.
There's always private accommodation, QMUL wouldn't give me accommodation because it was my insurance choice (yet the give some to those going through clearing, wtf?) so I'm paying £189 per week for somewhere that's not even super close to the uni (at least I might get a good walk a couple of times per day). Maybe you should look at this as an opportunity anyway, I wanted to be far away from home to actually become independent (microwave meals are about the best I can do regarding food).

As long as you stick with it and make the most of it then you'll love it anyway.

I live in Birmingham, so London would only be two hours, whereas Hull is 3-6 depending on the sea tide. Haha. My mum's pregnant, so I wanted to see my little sister here and there. Ah well.

How did you find your accommodation? Oooooh, that's expensive! Mine is no more than £130 for an ensuite! I still need to find out what's happening with my place! I wanted to live on campus, just because it's safer, especially as I have never been to the city! I can't cook either, guess I will lose weight. :biggrin:

I am so undecided, I am having doubts with the course too!
if the course is the same everywhere and youre doing it just for the sake of london i wouldnt bother im on a retake gap year and its a really bad feeling and 1 year behind in your life too.
Original post by Psyc_Girl
Overall I finished with BBCac, rang them up they said nothing they can do for me unless I have ABB :frown: ahwell, hopefully I'll be happy a at City.

You did well! I was offered a space at Essex. But I turned it down because the course didn't look as good! I am not even sure if this is the course for me. My god.
Original post by nmjasdk
if the course is the same everywhere and youre doing it just for the sake of london i wouldnt bother im on a retake gap year and its a really bad feeling and 1 year behind in your life too.

True that.

Cheers. :smile:
You did well! I was offered a space at Essex. But I turned it down because the course didn't look as good! I am not even sure if this is the course for me. My god.

Meh, doesn't feel like it :frown:. Oh right, it might just be nerves! You'll probably get there and love it! Try and think positive, that's what I'm doing :tongue:
I live in Birmingham, so London would only be two hours, whereas Hull is 3-6 depending on the sea tide. Haha. My mum's pregnant, so I wanted to see my little sister here and there. Ah well.

How did you find your accommodation? Oooooh, that's expensive! Mine is no more than £130 for an ensuite! I still need to find out what's happening with my place! I wanted to live on campus, just because it's safer, especially as I have never been to the city! I can't cook either, guess I will lose weight. :biggrin:

I am so undecided, I am having doubts with the course too!

Well I live in Staffordshire so it's about three hours for me too, I really wanted to be far away but it's not like you're abandoning your family; you get plenty of holidays and you'd be able to get home by train quite easily I assumes, rail operators will give super cheap tickets for bookings far in advance, I think I can get a two way ticket from Stafford to London for £6 so you really shouldn't worry about not seeing your little sister. By the way you'll gain weight instead :tongue:

If you'd really consider doing your A-levels again then have you thought about doing a gap year and then paying to resit the exams at a nearby college or something?
I'm not sure if this'll make you feel better but I have a friend who transferred to second year from Swansea to QM. They had really good 1st year module marks and they had to retake a couple of A-level exams to get in though (they had ABC needed AAB).

I also had to go through clearing after I missed both my firms and QM offers .. I just really wanted to live in London too.
Hull is actually quite a nice uni, i prefer the university area to mile end any day, and this is coming from a Londoner,
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending