The Student Room Group

Preparing for the UKMT Senior Maths Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
i go to a crap school. Just practice hard and understand solutions. Just buy a pack of past papers and thats it. BMO preperation is much more though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are some good books for Olympiad preparation?
Original post by FaZe temperrrrrr
Forget that man, only beta phaggots would pay to get in or they may have missed test date idk. Not doing that.

I have partaked in a team challenge but again that is not at all similar..

So you are just good at maths and did no prep for it.

Manz is disappointing as he chits himself if not fully prepped for test :/

There are past papers with solutions on there is that it. Or do you mean specific papers?

I would like to think that I am good at maths, but I think it's more of a frame of mind which is needed rather than pure mathematical skill.
Original post by Principia
I would like to think that I am good at maths, but I think it's more of a frame of mind which is needed rather than pure mathematical skill.

Thank you :biggrin:

Which uni are you at now?
Ive got to BMO1 and qualified and did BMO2 (top 100 just saying :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yo :smile: I'm interested to know what level of rigour your proofs were at for the BMO1, since, and I know it sounds arrogant, I cannot understand how I got such a low mark (2) when I answered 3 or 4 questions to what I thought was either fully correct or mostly there.

Thank you :biggrin:

Which uni are you at now?

I haven't matriculated yet, but in a week or so, Cambridge.
Original post by cheeriosarenice
Is the senior maths challnege based only on GCSE stuff, or does it include anything extra, or any AS/ A level?

All gcse although ive used double angle formulas before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yo :smile: I'm interested to know what level of rigour your proofs were at for the BMO1, since, and I know it sounds arrogant, I cannot understand how I got such a low mark (2) when I answered 3 or 4 questions to what I thought was either fully correct or mostly there.

I haven't matriculated yet, but in a week or so, Cambridge.

are you talking about BMO1 2013? I pretty muh proved everything. Your proofs have to be like you would in a STEP paper. I even proved the circle theorems for q3. You should learn like statements where the proof wouldnt work ie clear all assumptions and everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cheeriosarenice
What are some good books for Olympiad preparation?

intro Number theory. Plane euclidean geometry theory and problems. Inequalties one is good. And matgematical primer. All from ukmt website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am confused http://www.ukmt.org.uk/publications/index.php?type=PastPaper

those papers are available for free.

I want to do olympiad but if I can't get past first stage there is no point.

Last question.

How do you do the hard questions on BMO1, the ones with complex circle theorem and stuff which is not in a level maths.

Its not complex circle theorems. Its just contruction of more triangles and circles. Most alternate segment theorems etc. For example to prove something is parralel. they will both have the same angle between the horizontal. So all you have to do is that. All it takes is construction and a lot of practice. Buy the euclidean geometry books for help. Sin 2r rule needs to be learnt aswell as cauchy schwartz inequality for BMO2. There is a specification in Ukmt website on what you need to know and what you dont.

Posted from TSR Mobile
are you talking about BMO1 2013? I pretty muh proved everything. Your proofs have to be like you would in a STEP paper. I even proved the circle theorems for q3. You should learn like statements where the proof wouldnt work ie clear all assumptions and everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. Lol I don't think my proofs were less valid than my step ones, and I passed those but failed the BMO :colondollar: Haha yeah I remember proving those, was that the right-angles in a kite one?
Yeah. Lol I don't think my proofs were less valid than my step ones, and I passed those but failed the BMO :colondollar: Haha yeah I remember proving those, was that the right-angles in a kite one?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1411857879.918049.jpg
yep this one

Posted from TSR Mobile
i lost marks on this one definately. It was so ck fusing as i got one part of my diagram wrong in the real thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldve been angry if i was you as there isnt a way of remarks of some
sort either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i hope i qualify for BmO2 this year. i got like 4 this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha that brings back memories... that and Isaac's watersports holiday :colone:

I wouldve been angry if i was you as there isnt a way of remarks of some
sort either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah well I wasn't angry as such, just bemused since I had interviews to worry about.
(edited 9 years ago)
Haha that brings back memories... that and Isaac's watersports holiday :colone:

Haha yeah well I wasn't angry as such, just bemused since I had interviews to worry about.

lol yh isaac. I remember that one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is it racist.

Go take a look at the names of the people in every single International Olympiad team, brah.

All chinese.

kthnxbye

Please tell me of these skills. I am prepared to do anything to get into BMO1, did you have tutors/use any prep books/go to private school?

Wrong. If everyone on the IMO were Chinese, then wouldn't everyone in the world just be Chinese? And that means including you.

Also, look:
http://www.imo-official.org/hall.aspx
Not everyone there is Chinese either... #pointproven

*rolls eyes*

And do you seriously have nothing better to do than obsess over Maths Challenges and Chinese people? :wink:
Original post by strawberrysnow
Wrong. If everyone on the IMO were Chinese, then wouldn't everyone in the world just be Chinese? And that means including you.

Also, look:
http://www.imo-official.org/hall.aspx
Not everyone there is Chinese either... #pointproven

*rolls eyes*

And do you seriously have nothing better to do than obsess over Maths Challenges and Chinese people? :wink:

Sorry to butt in. But he is right. Nearly all the teams are made up of people from china or chinese people. Nearly all the teams are like this except for like russia and india etc. USA and canada teams are pretty mch all chinese as well as the uk team.

Posted from TSR Mobile
no it wouldnt mean everyone is chinese. It just means the top percentage of gifted mathematicians in the world are mostly chinese.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to butt in. But he is right. Nearly all the teams are made up of people from china or chinese people. Nearly all the teams are like this except for like russia and india etc. USA and canada teams are pretty mch all chinese as well as the uk team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I understand where you're coming from. I do realise that a few people even on the British/Canadian/USA etc teams are Chinese, but he said that everyone on the IMO was Chinese, which is obviously not true... :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest