OCR B (Salters): How to use the book? Watch

OkashiAddict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have the Chemical Ideas AS&A2 book that's endorsed by OCR. At first I was a bit meh about it due to the length and zero-colour but after reading it it seems to be pretty good. Anyway, I wish they'd just have to separate books for AS and A2 because I don't know how to use this one.
Like where does the AS content stop and when does the A2 stuff begin? It's not in order either which is really confusing. Was gonna ask my teacher but I really want to start working this weekend so anybody who is accustomed to the book please reply!
Thanks ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
FemaleBo55
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by OkashiAddict)
I have the Chemical Ideas AS&A2 book that's endorsed by OCR. At first I was a bit meh about it due to the length and zero-colour but after reading it it seems to be pretty good. Anyway, I wish they'd just have to separate books for AS and A2 because I don't know how to use this one.
Like where does the AS content stop and when does the A2 stuff begin? It's not in order either which is really confusing. Was gonna ask my teacher but I really want to start working this weekend so anybody who is accustomed to the book please reply!
Thanks ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
you need to have an OCR B salters AS storyline that will guide you on what pages to read in the chemical ideas for that specific topic you are reading
OkashiAddict
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elhamm)
you need to have an OCR B salters AS storyline that will guide you on what pages to read in the chemical ideas for that specific topic you are reading
Ah so that book is actually necessary? Is it any good? I thought my school was just blagging it lol
Thank you so much for the info!

Posted from TSR Mobile
pinkgorilla
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did AS OCR Salters last year and I am currently doing A2s. But to differentiate between AS and A2, there are unit maps and student action plans, which tell you the chapters of each unit of both AS and A2. I have attached a website and it should help. And good luck !

http://www.york.ac.uk/org/seg/test/M...ModuleMaps.htm
pinkgorilla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And Storylines is necessary especially for the Atmosphere module !
OkashiAddict
Rep:
?
(Original post by pinkgorilla)
Ah okay! People keep telling me Salters is the hardest a level chem course whilst others say it's an easier one. So out of experience, what would you say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
OkashiAddict
Rep:
?
Also did you use any other books or where these fine to get you through? ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
pinkgorilla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by OkashiAddict)
Also did you use any other books or where these fine to get you through? ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm, I have not really experienced other exam boards but this exam board requires knowledge of a lot of content compared to other exam boards but not in as much detail. It was quite tough and demanding and I think we are the only exam board to have a prereleased material which wasnt too bad.

I also used the CGP Revision Guide and the Heinemann Revision Guide, the one from Salters
OkashiAddict
Rep:
?
Hmm, I have not really experienced other exam boards but this exam board requires knowledge of a lot of content compared to other exam boards but not in as much detail. It was quite tough and demanding and I think we are the only exam board to have a prereleased material which wasnt too bad.

I also used the CGP Revision Guide and the Heinemann Revision Guide, the one from Salters
Ah I see, well that sounds promising. Also, what do you mean by the "pre released material"? Sorry, I'm new to all of this 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
OkashiAddict
Rep:
?

Ooh btw, I just looked at that module map you linked so when I'm studying should I just go in that order when using the chemical ideas book. For instance, the first map goes in order of 2.1, 2.2, then jumps straight to 6.1... Is that correct? So should I do that? Ahh why does it have to be so all over the place! *sigh*

Posted from TSR Mobile
OkashiAddict
Rep:
?

Ooh btw, I just looked at that module map you linked so when I'm studying should I just go in that order when using the chemical ideas book. For instance, the first map goes in order of 2.1, 2.2, then jumps straight to 6.1... Is that correct? So should I do that? Ahh why does it have to be so all over the place! *sigh*

Posted from TSR Mobile
pinkgorilla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, that's fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.73%
The paper was reasonable (1173)
54.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (467)
21.61%
It was TERRIBLE (181)
8.38%

Watched Threads