The Student Room Group

OCR B (Salters): How to use the book?

I have the Chemical Ideas AS&A2 book that's endorsed by OCR. At first I was a bit meh about it due to the length and zero-colour but after reading it it seems to be pretty good. Anyway, I wish they'd just have to separate books for AS and A2 because I don't know how to use this one.
Like where does the AS content stop and when does the A2 stuff begin? It's not in order either which is really confusing. Was gonna ask my teacher but I really want to start working this weekend so anybody who is accustomed to the book please reply!
Thanks ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OkashiAddict
I have the Chemical Ideas AS&A2 book that's endorsed by OCR. At first I was a bit meh about it due to the length and zero-colour but after reading it it seems to be pretty good. Anyway, I wish they'd just have to separate books for AS and A2 because I don't know how to use this one.
Like where does the AS content stop and when does the A2 stuff begin? It's not in order either which is really confusing. Was gonna ask my teacher but I really want to start working this weekend so anybody who is accustomed to the book please reply!
Thanks ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

you need to have an OCR B salters AS storyline that will guide you on what pages to read in the chemical ideas for that specific topic you are reading
Original post by Elhamm
you need to have an OCR B salters AS storyline that will guide you on what pages to read in the chemical ideas for that specific topic you are reading

Ah so that book is actually necessary? Is it any good? I thought my school was just blagging it lol
Thank you so much for the info!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did AS OCR Salters last year and I am currently doing A2s. But to differentiate between AS and A2, there are unit maps and student action plans, which tell you the chapters of each unit of both AS and A2. I have attached a website and it should help. And good luck ! :smile:

http://www.york.ac.uk/org/seg/test/ModuleMaps/ModuleMaps.htm
And Storylines is necessary especially for the Atmosphere module !
Original post by pinkgorilla

Ah okay! People keep telling me Salters is the hardest a level chem course whilst others say it's an easier one. So out of experience, what would you say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also did you use any other books or where these fine to get you through? ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OkashiAddict
Also did you use any other books or where these fine to get you through? ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, I have not really experienced other exam boards but this exam board requires knowledge of a lot of content compared to other exam boards but not in as much detail. It was quite tough and demanding and I think we are the only exam board to have a prereleased material which wasnt too bad.

I also used the CGP Revision Guide and the Heinemann Revision Guide, the one from Salters :biggrin:
Hmm, I have not really experienced other exam boards but this exam board requires knowledge of a lot of content compared to other exam boards but not in as much detail. It was quite tough and demanding and I think we are the only exam board to have a prereleased material which wasnt too bad.

I also used the CGP Revision Guide and the Heinemann Revision Guide, the one from Salters :biggrin:

Ah I see, well that sounds promising. Also, what do you mean by the "pre released material"? Sorry, I'm new to all of this 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh btw, I just looked at that module map you linked so when I'm studying should I just go in that order when using the chemical ideas book. For instance, the first map goes in order of 2.1, 2.2, then jumps straight to 6.1... Is that correct? So should I do that? Ahh why does it have to be so all over the place! *sigh*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh btw, I just looked at that module map you linked so when I'm studying should I just go in that order when using the chemical ideas book. For instance, the first map goes in order of 2.1, 2.2, then jumps straight to 6.1... Is that correct? So should I do that? Ahh why does it have to be so all over the place! *sigh*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, that's fine.

Quick Reply

Latest