The Student Room Group

Undergraduate - quantum numbers

The electron configuration of titanium is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d2 4s2

How many electrons have ms =+1/2

Can someone talk baby language on how to do this. Have no clue and don't know what is ms
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Blade
The electron configuration of titanium is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d2 4s2

How many electrons have ms =+1/2

Can someone talk baby language on how to do this. Have no clue and don't know what is ms
Posted from TSR Mobile

It is a bit vague as the spin quantum number is 's' and the magnetic quantum number symbol is 'm'.

There are four quantum number numbers (n,l,m,s) - you seem to be asked about the spin states of the electrons.

n = main energy shell or level (values 1,2,3 ..etc.)
l = type of sub-shell (values 0 ... n-1)
m = orbital within sub-shell (values -l,...0... +l)
s = spin state (plus/minus one half)

No two electrons can have all four quantum numbers the same.

Paired electrons have plus and minus one half. Single electrons have plus one half.
If you draw the electron configuration in boxes like this:

Then one of each of the paired electrons is +1/2 and the unpaired ones are +1/2. So for N there are 5 electrons which are +1/2
Original post by charco
It is a bit vague as the spin quantum number is 's' and the magnetic quantum number symbol is 'm'.

There are four quantum number numbers (n,l,m,s) - you seem to be asked about the spin states of the electrons.

n = main energy shell or level (values 1,2,3 ..etc.)
l = type of sub-shell (values 0 ... n-1)
m = orbital within sub-shell (values -l,...0... +l)
s = spin state (plus/minus one half)

No two electrons can have all four quantum numbers the same.

Paired electrons have plus and minus one half. Single electrons have plus one half.

I believe that m is sometimes known as m(little l) and s is m(little s).... hence the ms the OP refers to is simply s
Original post by JMaydom
I believe that m is sometimes known as m(little l) and s is m(little s).... hence the ms the OP refers to is simply s

:eek:
Reply 5
Original post by Madasahatter
If you draw the electron configuration in boxes like this:

Then one of each of the paired electrons is +1/2 and the unpaired ones are +1/2. So for N there are 5 electrons which are +1/2

both paired AND unpaired +1/2??
Reply 6
this is the ans but still dont get it

Every filled orbital has 1e with ms = and 1e with ms = -½. Up to the 3p level, therefore, half of the electrons (9) have ms = +½. In the 4s orbital there is another electron with ms = +½. The d shell is not full, and again we cannot know whether the two electrons have ms = or ms = -½. We do know that they will both be the same (Pauli principle). So there may be either 10 or 12 electrons with ms = +½.
this is the ans but still dont get it

Every filled orbital has 1e with ms = and 1e with ms = -½. Up to the 3p level, therefore, half of the electrons (9) have ms = +½. In the 4s orbital there is another electron with ms = +½. The d shell is not full, and again we cannot know whether the two electrons have ms = or ms = -½. We do know that they will both be the same (Pauli principle). So there may be either 10 or 12 electrons with ms = +½.

In every orbital the electrons are paired.

The electrons in the pair are assigned spin states of or

Hence in a paired orbital there is one of each.

In degenerate orbitals the unpaired electrons have to have the same spin. Hence you dont know if they are or -½.

It's actually bollox. The spin states are assigned artificially anyway.
both paired AND unpaired +1/2??

Yes. I have always considered the unpaired electrons to be assigned +1/2 the second electron in the orbital is assigned -1/2
Reply 9
ok guys ive sat there on my chair and researched for about 1hr straight. and im stil unclear

1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d2 4s2

how many e- that have ms=+1/2

if there are 22 e- in total surely half of then have ms=+1/2 and other half ms= -1/2

so why isnt the ans 11??

ans is 10 or 12...
ok guys ive sat there on my chair and researched for about 1hr straight. and im stil unclear

1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d2 4s2

how many e- that have ms=+1/2

if there are 22 e- in total surely half of then have ms=+1/2 and other half ms= -1/2

so why isnt the ans 11??

ans is 10 or 12...

Half the paired electrons are +1/2. These are 1 in 1s, 1 in 2s, 3 in 2p, 1 in 3s, 3 in 3p, 1 in 4s. The 2 electrons in 3d are unpaired.

I always considered unpaired electrons as +1/2.

I make that 12.
Reply 11
Half the paired electrons are +1/2. These are 1 in 1s, 1 in 2s, 3 in 2p, 1 in 3s, 3 in 3p, 1 in 4s. The 2 electrons in 3d are unpaired.

I make that 12.

how do you know the 2 e in 3d are unpaired?
Hund's rule

It's like seats on the bus. Everyone takes a single seat until there are no more and then they are forced to pair up.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13

I make that 12.

This quote was very useful. Its in my notes now. Thank you sir! how do you know about quantum numbers btw? this is my first undergraduate post.
This quote was very useful. Its in my notes now. Thank you sir! how do you know about quantum numbers btw? this is my first undergraduate post.

You just pick it up when you study chemistry! :smile:
Reply 15
You just pick it up when you study chemistry! :smile:

You study chemistry at degree level? 1st year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You study chemistry at degree level? 1st year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Graduate. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest