The Student Room Group

Could it be possible that you are everyone that has ever lived, and that will live

At the moment as you're reading this, you know that you are you and no one else, right?
But could it be possible that before you were born, your exact same consciousness that you're experiencing right now was in a different body such as your parents or friends for example. Meaning that we could all have one consciousness simultaneously but can only experience them individually?

Extra: If this idea was true and we were able to scientifically prove that it was true, do you think that everyone would be extremely kind to each other, and violence would immediately stop since people know that 'If I punch you or bomb you then I will inevitably be on the receiving end of it one day'. And 'If I give this homeless man £10k to help him out, then that would be me directly helping myself out in another lifetime"

Scroll to see replies

How high are you currently? Call me stupid, but I am a bit lost :tongue:
Reply 2
Do you mean like reincarnation? So every time you (or me, since we're the same person :tongue:) die you get reborn as someone else?
Original post by cant_think_of_name
How high are you currently? Call me stupid, but I am a bit lost :tongue:

It's always been at the back of my mind, don't you ever look at someone and think "Am .. am I you but in a different lifetime"

Original post by Jonny360
Do you mean like reincarnation? So every time you (or me, since we're the same person :tongue:) die you get reborn as someone else?

Yes kind of like reincarnation, but my idea focuses a lot more on the consciousness aspect of it. Because when you see someone, the thing that separates both of you is not the space between you, but instead the idea that you have different consciousness.
My question is that could the consciousness they're feeling be the exact same consciousness that you're feeling, and that you're both the exact same person but just in a different time looking at each other from a different perspective
Reply 4
There's some people I would rather die permanently than ever have to be TBH.
Reply 5
You'd also never have sex then.

*Redlight* :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
It's always been at the back of my mind, don't you ever look at someone and think "Am .. am I you but in a different lifetime"

Yes kind of like reincarnation, but my idea focuses a lot more on the consciousness aspect of it. Because when you see someone, the thing that separates both of you is not the space between you, but instead the idea that you have different consciousness.
My question is that could the consciousness they're feeling be the exact same consciousness that you're feeling, and that you're both the exact same person but just in a different time looking at each other from a different perspective

Not really, because your thoughts come from your brain, and everyone's brain is unique so we cannot be one consciousness. There is an idea called 'solipism' which says that only your mind is real and everyone else may not exist outside it which is quite interesting and worth a read.
Not really, because your thoughts come from your brain, and everyone's brain is unique so we cannot be one consciousness. There is an idea called 'solipsism' which says that only your mind is real and everyone else may not exist outside it which is quite interesting and worth a read.

Lol I've always had that solipsism idea ever since I was a kid and only found out recently that it was a huge philosophical idea.
But this idea is easy to disprove since you(Jonny) have to exist in order to tell me about this idea of others not existing, meaning that me and you both exist in order to acknowledge that idea

Spoiler

Reply 8
Lol I've always had that solipsism idea ever since I was a kid and only found out recently that it was a huge philosophical idea.
But this idea is easy to disprove since you(Jonny) have to exist in order to tell me about this idea of others not existing, meaning that me and you both exist in order to acknowledge that idea

Spoiler

What if the idea is in your subconscious and it manifests itself in the form of my post on TSR, when in fact I do not exist outside of your head :biggrin:
What if the idea is in your subconscious and it manifests itself in the form of my post on TSR, when in fact I do not exist outside of your head :biggrin:

haha good point, but I would live a much happier life pretending that everyone around me is actually real rather having the idea that they're all dead zombies with no consciousness
Reply 10
haha good point, but I would live a much happier life pretending that everyone around me is actually real rather having the idea that they're all dead zombies with no consciousness

Hahaha solipsism is pretty interesting but it's kinda scary to think it could be true and you'd have no idea since you don't know that anything outside of your mind (including your senses) exist.
It's a VERY VERY slim possibility but I'd never rule it out.
Reply 12
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
It's a VERY VERY slim possibility but I'd never rule it out.

Is it slim though? :smile:. Your mind could be a computer simulation that thinks it's a person. A computer that has created a whole world full of 'people' that only exist in its own consciousness!
Is it slim though? :smile:. Your mind could be a computer simulation that thinks it's a person. A computer that has created a whole world full of 'people' that only exist in its own consciousness!

Do you have any reason to think that other than: 'it is plausible'?
Reply 14
Original post by Are you Shaw?
Do you have any reason to think that other than: 'it is plausible'?

There isn't an exact percentage which we can give it happening, but if humans exist for several thousand more years, we are going to have more and more advanced computers and I'd think it's very likely we'll create one with a consciousness. And for I know, my consciousness could just be created by some advanced civilisation in a computer. Whether or not that's true, I have no idea, and will not ever know.
Reply 15
Not really, because your thoughts come from your brain, and everyone's brain is unique so we cannot be one consciousness. There is an idea called 'solipism' which says that only your mind is real and everyone else may not exist outside it which is quite interesting and worth a read.

iv always wondered if this was true then where would your brain be would everyones be together somewhere

i have also wondered i dont know if this is a theory or just me but do you think everyone experiences colour the same ? blue to me could be red to you and how would we know as you cant really describe colour , anyone else wondered this?
Reply 16
Original post by usernme_
iv always wondered if this was true then where would your brain be would everyones be together somewhere

i have also wondered i dont know if this is a theory or just me but do you think everyone experiences colour the same ? blue to me could be red to you and how would we know as you cant really describe colour , anyone else wondered this?

Hahaha I wondered that! There's a guy on YouTube called Vsauce and he did a video on that. I love his channel, here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evQsOFQju08

It's kind of long but I found it interesting!

We get colour from the different rods or cones in our eyes, and since everyone is slightly different I think we would see colours slightly differently but it wouldn't be like my red being your green :smile:
Original post by usernme_

This is extremely likely to be true since colour can only be described through language, and if you've always seen red to be blue then everything else associated with red such as blood would be blue to you, and there's no way you can explain that colour to anyone else.

But it makes sense though, maybe it could even explain why some people are generally feel more down since they might see the sky as a depressing dark purple instead of a beautiful bright blue one. You never know :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Hahaha I wondered that! There's a guy on YouTube called Vsauce and he did a video on that. I love his channel, here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evQsOFQju08

It's kind of long but I found it interesting!

We get colour from the different rods or cones in our eyes, and since everyone is slightly different I think we would see colours slightly differently but it wouldn't be like my red being your green :smile:

ah , ok ill watch that thanks :smile:
Reply 19
There was an interesting short story based in this concept that i read once;

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending