The Student Room Group

Teaching yourself pure mathematics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by davros
Bostock and Chandler are brilliant books to cover the Pure content of the A level and FM syllabi, but they do assume that you have covered things like algebra and trigonometry (the level taught at GCSE should be sufficient for this, although even the best GCSE students seem to forget these topics over the summer after their GCSE exams which is the biggest challenge when they come to do A Level!).

As I said earlier, don't try to jump ahead yet. Have a look at some GCSE papers and make sure that you are comfortable with the topics examined. Once you're confident in answering questions at that level, then you can start on B&C :smile:

Do you know any textbooks that follow the old O level content? I heard that the IGCSE mathematics textbooks do this, is that true?

Also, what content was covered before the O levels - was it just arithmetic?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lockie123
Do you know any textbooks that follow the old O level content? I heard that the IGCSE mathematics textbooks do this, is that true?

If you want a GCSE course in smallish chunks with exams for each stage you could try these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/278-9530322-0096559?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ocr%20gcse%20maths%20graduated%20assessment

The course goes from absolute basics to A*.

If you prefer one or two books that cover GCSE maths I think these are quite good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intermediate-GCSE-Mathematics-Revision-Practice/dp/0199147892/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414048945&sr=1-12&keywords=gcse+maths+rayner

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Higher-GCSE-Mathematics-Revision-Practice/dp/0199147914/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414048998&sr=1-10&keywords=gcse+maths+rayner
Reply 22

Do you know any mathematics textbooks from the old UK system's O level that start from the absolute basics?

IGCSE CIE Maths is the most similar to O levels I believe.

However, don't be fooled by CIE's IGCSE Additional Maths. I did this, and found out it was actually almost equivalent in level to AS-level maths.
Reply 24
Original post by Wissenschaft
IGCSE CIE Maths is the most similar to O levels I believe.

However, don't be fooled by CIE's IGCSE Additional Maths. I did this, and found out it was actually almost equivalent in level to AS-level maths.

So I'll do IGCSE -> AS/A-Levels using Bostock/Chandler.

However I noticed that the IGCSE mathematics textbook assumes some knowledge as well...what textbook should I use to cover that assumed knowledge? In other words, what comes before the IGCSE? (And, what came before the old UK system's O-levels?)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
So I'll do IGCSE -> AS/A-Levels using Bostock/Chandler.

However I noticed that the IGCSE mathematics textbook assumes some knowledge as well...what textbook should I use to cover that assumed knowledge? In other words, what comes before the IGCSE? (And, what came before the old UK system's O-levels?)

Like yourself I'm not a recent student, but the school curriculum pre-GCSE is divided into a number of "Key Stages" - KS1, KS2 etc (I think it stops at KS4 before GCSEs but I'm an O level sort of person so I don't understand all this modern nonsense!)

Anyway, head down to your local WHSmith (or other well-known bookstore), locate the academic books, and browse through some of the Key Stage books. Identify whichever one doesn't seem to assume more than you already know, then start from there and work upwards!
Reply 26
Original post by davros
Like yourself I'm not a recent student, but the school curriculum pre-GCSE is divided into a number of "Key Stages" - KS1, KS2 etc (I think it stops at KS4 before GCSEs but I'm an O level sort of person so I don't understand all this modern nonsense!)

Anyway, head down to your local WHSmith (or other well-known bookstore), locate the academic books, and browse through some of the Key Stage books. Identify whichever one doesn't seem to assume more than you already know, then start from there and work upwards!

Do you think I should start with a basic arithmetic textbook, then move on to an IGCSE textbook, followed by Bostock/Chandler? Should I be prepared for first year university mathematics after doing all of that?

Do you have any recommendations for a basic arithmetic textbook?
Reply 27
Do you think I should start with a basic arithmetic textbook, then move on to an IGCSE textbook, followed by Bostock/Chandler? Should I be prepared for first year university mathematics after doing all of that?

Do you have any recommendations for a basic arithmetic textbook?

I don't, I'm afraid - it's so long since I last studied it!

Before you buy anything it might be worth a trip to your local library just to check out things like adult numeracy textbooks to see if the material looks familiar to you. Without knowing you personally or how quickly you pick things up it's very difficult to give specific recommendations on books or how fast to take things!

Out of interest, what sort of degree course are you doing? If they require Further Maths level of knowledge I'm surprised they don't ask for some form of exam certificate to prove it.
Reply 28
Original post by davros
I don't, I'm afraid - it's so long since I last studied it!

Before you buy anything it might be worth a trip to your local library just to check out things like adult numeracy textbooks to see if the material looks familiar to you. Without knowing you personally or how quickly you pick things up it's very difficult to give specific recommendations on books or how fast to take things!

Out of interest, what sort of degree course are you doing? If they require Further Maths level of knowledge I'm surprised they don't ask for some form of exam certificate to prove it.

An engineering degree.
Reply 29
A-Level Maths. Everything that you need to fill the gap is in there.

As for books (I understand that you are looking for rigourous, yet comprehensive materials), you need to get two different kinds. You will need the A-Level books that are released by the examining board you go with without a doubt. These books are full of questions of varying difficulty, and adhere exactly to the current specification which will give you an idea of what to expect on the exam papers. However, these books are quite bad at actually explaining to you how Mathematics works - for this, you need a more old-fashioned set of textbooks. My recommendation is Pure Mathematics 1 and 2 by Backhouse and Houldsworth. These books are brilliant at teaching you the subject in a plain, but thoughtful fashion and contain some questions that are much harder than those on today's papers. Because of their age, they don't quite cover everything in the modern syllabus - perhaps 90% of it, which is why you need a combination of the two

I used this combination of books and received AA in Maths and Further Maths this year, all done in one year, and this combination of books really helped me along.
Reply 30
I'm unsure if this is the right place to be asking this question but I will try! As some of you may know from my other thread, I am learning mathematics from the ground up.

I found a website called "www.glad2teach.co.uk" and it says that I can purchase 30 videos that go through fast arithmetic and 26 videos that go through fast algebra. But is the website legitimate?
I'm unsure if this is the right place to be asking this question but I will try! As some of you may know from my other thread, I am learning mathematics from the ground up.

I found a website called "www.glad2teach.co.uk" and it says that I can purchase 30 videos that go through fast arithmetic and 26 videos that go through fast algebra. But is the website legitimate?

This does not seem at all legit to me.

Have you asked in the maths forum? There are loads of people there who can recommend learning tools for you, and also help you with any problems you get stuck with. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
This does not seem at all legit to me.

Have you asked in the maths forum? There are loads of people there who can recommend learning tools for you, and also help you with any problems you get stuck with. :smile:

Thank you for telling me, as you can tell, I'm terrible when it comes to using technology! I have made a thread in the maths forum but am completely lost as I need to start from the absolute basics and I need textbooks that will really explain how maths works as I haven't touched a maths textbook for 2 decades!

However it's difficult because apparently only the older textbooks really explain how maths works. Also, I'm having trouble working out what I should be doing and in what order. I think I should be doing arithmetic first (but I can't find a textbook for that), followed by the GCSE/IGCSE and concluded by the AS/A-Levels. I'm all over the place though and can't wait until I can get some assistance!
Reply 33
Original post by VannR
A-Level Maths. Everything that you need to fill the gap is in there.

As for books (I understand that you are looking for rigourous, yet comprehensive materials), you need to get two different kinds. You will need the A-Level books that are released by the examining board you go with without a doubt. These books are full of questions of varying difficulty, and adhere exactly to the current specification which will give you an idea of what to expect on the exam papers. However, these books are quite bad at actually explaining to you how Mathematics works - for this, you need a more old-fashioned set of textbooks. My recommendation is Pure Mathematics 1 and 2 by Backhouse and Houldsworth. These books are brilliant at teaching you the subject in a plain, but thoughtful fashion and contain some questions that are much harder than those on today's papers. Because of their age, they don't quite cover everything in the modern syllabus - perhaps 90% of it, which is why you need a combination of the two

I used this combination of books and received AA in Maths and Further Maths this year, all done in one year, and this combination of books really helped me along.

It is great to hear that you succeeded by using older textbooks. I'm starting from the absolute basics so if I were to start with basic arithmetic (addition, subtracting, multiplying, division, fractions, decimals, etc), would I be able to move on to GCSE/IGCSE content, and do the AS/A-Levels after that?

Do you have any old mathematics textbook recommendations for arithmetic or GCSE/IGCSE (or O levels as it was back in the day)?

Also, what do you think about Bostock/Chandler for AS/A-Levels? I'm more familiar with the authors' names.
@OP Have you tried this site?
http://examsolutions.net/
(edited 9 years ago)
It is great to hear that you succeeded by using older textbooks. I'm starting from the absolute basics so if I were to start with basic arithmetic (addition, subtracting, multiplying, division, fractions, decimals, etc), would I be able to move on to GCSE/IGCSE content, and do the AS/A-Levels after that?

Do you have any old mathematics textbook recommendations for arithmetic or GCSE/IGCSE (or O levels as it was back in the day)?

Also, what do you think about Bostock/Chandler for AS/A-Levels? I'm more familiar with the authors' names.

For the more basic topics I don't think that you'd necessarily need an older book. Although I do think it's helpful when you get to GCSE/O-Level to A-Level for continuity purposes. Right now just find a book that explains it to you best. Look on Amazon and see what books seem good, then get them from the library and go through them. If they are particularly useful it may help to buy a few.
Reply 36

I think it is a bit excessive having to pay for resources these days.

there are a lot of good places around. Most students here "go on about" a site called exam solutions.

speak to students before you spend unless you are rich!
Check out Khan Academy
Reply 38
Original post by Skill Twix
@OP Have you tried this site?
http://examsolutions.net/

I'll take a look at it but I do prefer textbooks :smile:
I'll take a look at it but I do prefer textbooks :smile:

To be honest,this guy is much better than textbooks.Explains everything.But you've got to do questions after watching the tutorials!Plus,it's free!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest