The Student Room Group

Mathematics refreshers ahead of looking at a masters

I'm considering going back to Uni part time for my masters in Mathematics, maybe pure or applied. I'd be looking to enter in the 2025 intake, so I have a bit of time to figure out if I really want this.

I graduated 8 years ago with a 2:1 in Mathematical Sciences, but I was in a different place mentally and am confident in my ability to give the time and attention and dedication to the studies now.

My intention would be Imperial, for either Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics. I have no career desires from this, I am already sorted for my career; this is purely for my own personal growth and interests.

Sadly, I don't have access to my course notes or books from my bachelors.
Does anyone have any recommendations for refresher courses or books so I might get a feel for it all again and see how I get on?
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Its Phil
I'm considering going back to Uni part time for my masters in Mathematics, maybe pure or applied. I'd be looking to enter in the 2025 intake, so I have a bit of time to figure out if I really want this.

I graduated 8 years ago with a low 2:1 in Mathematical Sciences, but I was in a different place mentally and am confident in my ability to give the time and attention and dedication to the studies now.

My intention would be Imperial, for either Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics. I have no career desires from this, I am already sorted for my career; this is purely for my own personal growth and interests.

Does anyone have any recommendations for refresher courses or books so I might get a feel for it all again and see how I get on?

Hi there,

I'm currently in my fourth year of an integrated masters in Mathematics and Statistics. Some universities post certain course notes online (may be be reduced versions) that could be of interest to you. For example, my dissertation supervisor teaches a module on R programming which you can find the notes to here:
Teaching - Gaetano Romano (lancaster.ac.uk)

Alternatively, the open university have a number of free maths courses online which could give you a feel for reading maths again to see if you would enjoy it:
Free online Mathematics courses | OpenLearn - Open University

Good luck with your decision!

Amy 🙂 (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I'm currently in my fourth year of an integrated masters in Mathematics and Statistics. Some universities post certain course notes online (may be be reduced versions) that could be of interest to you. For example, my dissertation supervisor teaches a module on R programming which you can find the notes to here:
Teaching - Gaetano Romano (lancaster.ac.uk)

Alternatively, the open university have a number of free maths courses online which could give you a feel for reading maths again to see if you would enjoy it:
Free online Mathematics courses | OpenLearn - Open University

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks Amy, that's really helpful.

Any idea how I would go about finding notes from other Lancaster lecturers?
I note eg in your link it's suffix ~romano - but the same does not apply for the first 5 names on
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/maths/people/

I'll definitely look around for something similar though, didn't realize places did this. Thank you

I graduated 8 years ago with a low 2:1 in Mathematical Sciences, but I was in a different place mentally and am confident in my ability to give the time and attention and dedication to the studies now.

With a low 2.1 and an 8 year gap, aiming for Imperial, you might find they want evidence of current mathematical ability through something like an OU module - it might be worth contacting them to find out. They might have a different view if your day to day work is highly mathematical.
Reply 4
Thanks @threeportdrift
I've reached out to them separately asking exactly that. I had considered an OU module or two, but perhaps they'll come back with specifics on what would be best.
Thanks Amy, that's really helpful.

Any idea how I would go about finding notes from other Lancaster lecturers?
I note eg in your link it's suffix ~romano - but the same does not apply for the first 5 names on
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/maths/people/

I'll definitely look around for something similar though, didn't realize places did this. Thank you

Hi there,

I'm not sure about finding others as it is up to the individual to decide their link and whether they post them or not. I have seen Oxford/ Cambridge lecture notes posted online before as well so they may be good to look into.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending