The Student Room Group

Teaching maths future

I want to become a maths teacher and wanted to know if I can become a maths teacher for both secondry and higher school by doing the degree mathematics WITH secondary education QTS also would I have to do one years pgce or 2 years as idk how much of this course is purely maths and I heard for one year pgce you have to have a degree with 50 percent maths
Original post by socioeconomic-bi
I want to become a maths teacher and wanted to know if I can become a maths teacher for both secondry and higher school by doing the degree mathematics WITH secondary education QTS also would I have to do one years pgce or 2 years as idk how much of this course is purely maths and I heard for one year pgce you have to have a degree with 50 percent maths

Hi @socioeconomic-bi,
There are a few main pathways to becoming a maths teacher. If you do not yet have a degree, you can do a maths degree with QTS included. As this is an undergraduate degree, apply through UCAS. Alternatively, if you already have a maths degree, the most common route is then to do a PGCE with QTS. This takes one academic year. For people whose degree is not purely maths, they are still able to do a PGCE in secondary maths but they would have to demonstrate that their degree has elements of maths in it, or they have a solid maths A-level.
You did not state whether you have a degree yet or are currently studying for A-levels. Feel free to contact Get into Teaching for further free advice and we can point you in the right direction.
Good luck!
Tracy
Original post by socioeconomic-bi

This route is fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending