The Student Room Group

How many hours per day should children spend at school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Beth.e
I strongly believe that school hours should be kept the same. This is because if the hours of study was to increase the child wouldn't be spending enough time with their parents/ carers which is vital as the parents play a massive part in a child's development on a daily basis.

Not only this but it would put a massive Strain on teachers as they spend a good deal of time preparing lesson plans and if the school day lasted longer the teacher wouldn't have enough time to produce these plans to the best of thier ability which would effect the child's performance.

So why not reduce school hours? :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by llys
So why not reduce school hours? :smile:

i do believe that we should leave the school hours as they are as I belive that it is beneficial for the child's development.

I believe that the child should have a substantial amount of time away from the parent or carer so that the child is able to form bonds with other children and learn Important life skills which you would find difficult to form in the home setting.
For Nursery school if you have it 3 hours a day ( 3 and 4 year olds) this would be twice a week. For the 4 year olds to 8 year old would attend school for 4 hours 6 days a week. For the year 3's and year 4's would attend school for 6 hours a day 6 hours a 6 days week.The year 5's and year 6's would attend school for 8 hours including on hour for lunch 6 days a week. The Years 7 to 11 would attend for school 6 hours and six days a week. The Sixth formers would attend for 4 1/2 hours for Saturday to Friday 5 days a week.
Reply 43
Original post by kpusa1981
For Nursery school if you have it 3 hours a day ( 3 and 4 year olds) this would be twice a week. For the 4 year olds to 8 year old would attend school for 4 hours 6 days a week. For the year 3's and year 4's would attend school for 6 hours a day 6 hours a 6 days week.The year 5's and year 6's would attend school for 8 hours including on hour for lunch 6 days a week. The Years 7 to 11 would attend for school 6 hours and six days a week. The Sixth formers would attend for 4 1/2 hours for Saturday to Friday 5 days a week.

I like how you've considered the age differences of the children/students, a lot of people on here haven't specified or I assume must otherwise think that all ages require the same.

Where I disagree is spreading it over 6 days for the majority although I hear that they do this in some countries. I think only leaving one free day reduces the opportunity for families to do activities together or go away and visit family, friends, places of interest.
That's more than half a day, are you insane? How would that work out? 3am-3pm? 4am-4pm? 5am-5pm? If you can work that long, then sure, make your child suffer the same. Children have very low attention spans

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending