The Student Room Group

Should I quit my job for the next academic year?

Hi guys,

I work at spoons and have done for all of my first year at uni (two days a week but 10 hour shifts, russel group uni so very demanding).
I was just having an honest chat with my manager who told me his advice would be to quit my job before the new academic year, because he failed second year and dropped out because he was working in this very pub.
I know I would theoretically be able to survive without the job as I have like 5k savings and almost max loan next year, but I don't like the idea of having to watch every penny I spend as money hasn't been a worry this year. Equally at times, my job has reflected badly in my academic performance (it's not just the time you spend at work, but the time you spend recovering too, but my poor time management is probably also to blame) meaning it has made me a lot more stressed than needed, and I have ended the year with very few friends as my social life has been impacted.
What would you guys do? And does anyone else work whilst studying / how do you manage it?
Reply 1
Hey there! I'm sorry to hear that your job has been causing you stress and negatively impacting your academic performance and social life. It's essential to prioritize your mental health and well-being, especially during such a demanding time. Ultimately, the decision to quit your job or not is a personal one only you can make. However, it may be worth considering reducing your hours or finding a job with more flexible scheduling to balance work and school better. Many students work while studying, and it can be a challenge to manage both successfully. Some tips that may help include creating a schedule to prioritize work and school, seeking support from friends, family, or a therapist, and practising self-care—best of luck with your decision and future endeavours.
Reply 2
What are you studying?

Realistically, university is a bubble - you think you are under a lot of stress, and you find that really starts when you graduate and have a job, family, house, bills, health issues, children, pets etc. There is no reason you cannot get good grades and work 20 hours per week - it's about time management. I think you are better keeping the job and managing your time better - you will come out of this better prepared for life later.
Original post by spicyoo
Hi guys,

I work at spoons and have done for all of my first year at uni (two days a week but 10 hour shifts, russel group uni so very demanding).
I was just having an honest chat with my manager who told me his advice would be to quit my job before the new academic year, because he failed second year and dropped out because he was working in this very pub.
I know I would theoretically be able to survive without the job as I have like 5k savings and almost max loan next year, but I don't like the idea of having to watch every penny I spend as money hasn't been a worry this year. Equally at times, my job has reflected badly in my academic performance (it's not just the time you spend at work, but the time you spend recovering too, but my poor time management is probably also to blame) meaning it has made me a lot more stressed than needed, and I have ended the year with very few friends as my social life has been impacted.
What would you guys do? And does anyone else work whilst studying / how do you manage it?

Getting a good grade in your degree should be more important than the job, and your marks in your second year will go towards your final result. If money is not an issue, then it would be beneficial to quit your job. Consider joining a club or society to help improve your social life, or get a job requiring fewer hours of work (and shorter shifts) to give you a bit of extra cash. Ask your uni if it has any jobs going - working on open/offer holder days, on-campus bar/food outlet work, or even their TSR rep. The average working week is 35-40 hours in the UK so 20 hours (plus recovery time) is a lot to manage with your studies.
Original post by spicyoo
Hi guys,

Could you reduce your hours at your job?
That way you could still keep your job but it wont have such an impact on uni work.
Hi, I began my course working a part-time job in year one. I found it ok at first and as I went further into the course I began to struggle with both working and studying as both were demanding. I realised that my degree is important to me and that is the reason I am at university for my future career. I found a solution where my university offers temporary work through ARU temps agency. I can pick up work that suits my busy and quieter periods. I have done different roles such as a student ambassador which I have loved and also felt part of the university. It will also help for my future CV. Allow yourself time to focus on your studies, year two can be quite demanding and you need time to complete your reading and plan any assignments without feeling rushed and last minute. Be kind to yourself also and make sure you are seeing friends and family also.

Good luck

ARU Dee
Student Digital Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending