The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 1
I've just started that this year. Seems alright but I've only had one lecture so far so I'm probably not the best person to ask. Doesn't seem too difficult though.
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for replying, I know all about HTML/CSS and I am learning PHP and DB programming. I understand how internet/network protocols work, so I was planning to do this course just to get a degree to recognise that I know how to do these things.

Whats the time table like?
Thanks,
James.
Reply 3
Trust me you will turn upto some lectures, otherwise you won't pass, alot of work esp in the first year is just a generalised look at computers. Unless your a genius or something then its another story, but its a big jump from a-level orwhatever.
Reply 4
Yeh, i'll turn up for lectures. But I don't see the point in turning up to a lecture on the basics of HTML when I have known it for such a long time.

Whats the time table like?
How many hours a week does a computing student spend in lectures?
Reply 5
well at lvl 2 to I have *coughs* 10 hours a week

but a pretty hefty workload tbh

the first year if i remember is like err 13-18 i dunno something like that, it depends if you units are double or single in repsect of points. it gets complicated CAT's points I believe there called.

www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/chemistry/ug/courseinfo/cats/

should fill you in
Reply 6
some of the departments also hand out registers in the lectures to check on attendance. will add more to this post later but i need sleep. damn 4am's
Reply 7
The first year computing lectures are so far .......boring.

I have experience in everything im being taught already from work and my own studies. It means I can focus more on other things im not good at , like writing all those damm reports.

Like others have said thou , you probably have massive gaps in your knowledge which are covered in the first year which are fundamental to all computing related subjects.

It will get harder and im sure ill soon have to learn something new, untill then ill be at the back drawing castles and skyscrapers while thinking about what to download when I get home.............................
Reply 8
Thanks for the information.

What time do they last lectures usually end? 6PM? Because I am thinking on carrying on my evening job at Tescos, is it advisable to carry on working with the workload?
Infact, is there even a Tescos close to the university?

Thanks,
James.
Reply 9
the tesco is about 1 mile away from the uni, and it is people transferring in like you that stop us getting jobs :mad:

you're very lucky! :biggrin:

(or there's another one at the north-east side of town quite far away)
Reply 10
So is it worth working whilst at uni then?

How many hours a week should I work? I currently do about 16 hours.
Reply 11
You should work 0 hours a week , it WILL effect your work .

You have all the time in the world to earn money , be poor and like it !

I gave up a comfy job that paid really well to study at lincoln and I wont be working during my time there.
Reply 12
james88
Thanks for the information.

What time do they last lectures usually end? 6PM? Because I am thinking on carrying on my evening job at Tescos, is it advisable to carry on working with the workload?
Infact, is there even a Tescos close to the university?

Thanks,
James.

http://adb03.lincoln.ac.uk/V2/UL/Reports/StudentTT.asp?student=042486116

mine
Reply 13
umm chonk... when you get so much into your overdraft (after having been at uni for a year already sumwhere else)... it's kind of necessary to get a job! It can get to a point where you need a job, or that extra bit of money.... so a few hours if required will be undertaken.. simple as.
Blah!

I'm glad I have a job now, it means I can continue my shopping habits while everyone else barely has any beer money left!

I only miss friday and sat night, so it's not like I would be sat at home reading then anyway!

Latest