The Student Room Group

AQA Business Research Theme- UK Manufacturing- June 2015 (BUSS4)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
my advice to everybody is to research JLR, Tesco, Greggs, Dyson and Starbucks. At the moment we are going over these businesses in class and there are so many great examples on how they are moving location from China to UK because UK manufacturing is starting to pick up.

There are loads of examples in your AQA textbook, look there :smile:
Reply 41
More information on JLR :smile:
[h="2"]JLR: Jaguar Land Rover[/h]

All cars are designed and engineered in Britain

Land rover hold over 50% of the premium SUV industry and jaguar are one of the fastest growing premium brands with a four-fold increase in sales in2013. By joining they get the premium image of jag with the vast market share of Land Rover and eliminate a competitor (mergers and acquisition)

Biggest investor in research and development in manufacturing sector

Just started construction of the £750m production facility in brazil and plans to build an overseas education in business programme (CSR) brazil is one of their top ten markets so they can cater to them and save on import costs (globalisation/ emerging markets)

opened a factory in china last year to manufacture the Range Rover Evoke, the biggest selling model in china (1 in 5 evokes are sold to china) where they have committed to training 2,000 people in health and safety and problem solving regardless of the rising wage à in the last year china was JLR’S single biggest market selling over 100,000 models (globalisation/ location/ opps and threats/ CSR/ unemployment)

Opened up a production facility to manufacture engines

Original post by aoibhs
More information on JLR :smile:
JLR: Jaguar Land Rover

All cars are designed and engineered in Britain

Land rover hold over 50% of the premium SUV industry and jaguar are one of the fastest growing premium brands with a four-fold increase in sales in2013. By joining they get the premium image of jag with the vast market share of Land Rover and eliminate a competitor (mergers and acquisition)

Biggest investor in research and development in manufacturing sector

Just started construction of the £750m production facility in brazil and plans to build an overseas education in business programme (CSR) brazil is one of their top ten markets so they can cater to them and save on import costs (globalisation/ emerging markets)

opened a factory in china last year to manufacture the Range Rover Evoke, the biggest selling model in china (1 in 5 evokes are sold to china) where they have committed to training 2,000 people in health and safety and problem solving regardless of the rising wage à in the last year china was JLR’S single biggest market selling over 100,000 models (globalisation/ location/ opps and threats/ CSR/ unemployment)

Opened up a production facility to manufacture engines

This info is great thanks so much :biggrin:
Do we need to know individual examples for food, fashion and automotive? and if so, how many examples for each one? Also, do we need to look at all three areas? Sorry for so many questions!
Original post by jenny1995
Do we need to know individual examples for food, fashion and automotive? and if so, how many examples for each one? Also, do we need to look at all three areas? Sorry for so many questions!

The industries that you research are really up to you, play to your strengths, what will you remember?

Just as long as it is UK manufacturing and you have some variety in your answers.

Remember we are answering questions on:

1) Impact of technology on UK manufacture
2) Impact of globalisation on UK manufacture
3) Impact of government intervention on UK manufacture
4) Impact of location on UK manufacture
5) Opportunies and Threats of UK manufacture

So research businesses where you can answer questions on at least 1 or a few of these points.

Also don't research more than 6 businesses!
About Jaguar Landrover increasing capacity:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/updated-jaguar-land-rover-more-8912601

This is worth a look if you're studying them...
Hi there, I'm a bit worried about this exam as my teacher has only just started introducing the theme and given us no guidance and little information can anyone help? What should i revise and what research should i do and in what detail ?
Thankss
What negative impact can be given for this bullet point...

"The impact of increasing globalisation on businesses manufacturing in the UK"

Is there any businesses that I can relate to this?
Original post by mr.cool09
What negative impact can be given for this bullet point...

"The impact of increasing globalisation on businesses manufacturing in the UK"

Is there any businesses that I can relate to this?

See my previous post, some info is there
So is it enough for the exam to know 6 businesses in detail, a general overview of manufacturing and then just general information about manufacturing relating to each bullet point?
yes that's right :smile: just make sure the 6 businesses are in depth and can cover the bullet points :smile:
Original post by JTBullen
yes that's right :smile: just make sure the 6 businesses are in depth and can cover the bullet points :smile:

Thanks so much for your help, i really appreciate it:biggrin:
1) Impact of technology on UK manufacture
2) Impact of globalisation on UK manufacture
3) Impact of government intervention on UK manufacture
4) Impact of location on UK manufacture
5) Opportunies and Threats of UK manufacture

What UK manufacturers can you use for each one?
I dont know if this has already been stated, but having recently attending the tutor2u business conference I just thought I'd point out you should also get some contrasting business examples for section B that you can provide as supporting evidence for your answers.
Also, if anyone is researching Jaguar Land Rover as one of their businesses there was a really nice article in BBC news the other day about JLR having to recall 36,000 vehicles in China due to some faults.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31979545
Original post by jenny1995
Thanks so much for your help, i really appreciate it:biggrin:

No worries :biggrin:

Original post by kellyg114
I dont know if this has already been stated, but having recently attending the tutor2u business conference I just thought I'd point out you should also get some contrasting business examples for section B that you can provide as supporting evidence for your answers.

I'll post on here a little later some additional tips Jim gave us from the BUSS4 conference... Can't at the moment since I'm on my phone and my notes are at home
Okay so a few things from the Tutor2u BUSS4 conference:

1. Gather your research using the "Four W's": Who? What? Why? Which Shows?
I've personally decided to take this to the next level and any information I get about a business I try to analyse fully. This is because it then allows me to practice my exam technique and it helps me understand the situation rather than just waiting till the exam and panicking because I don't know how to apply the example to the context of the question. For this I've been using flashcards. I'll move on to how I analyse examples in the next paragraph.

2. Use Business Models - always!
By models I mean Porter's theories and Ansoff's Matrix etc etc - I've got like fourteen written down, so there is plenty you can use to analyse examples.

3. PAnEL
For each paragraph (excluding the introduction and conclusion) you should use this method: Point, Analyse, Example, Link back to the question. Don't try the scatter gun effect (loads of points per paragraph) and instead stick to one point per paragraph and fully expand that point.

4. AIM
For the evaluation paragraph, use Answer/Address, It Depends, Most Important. This should allow you to fully evaluate the question, and don't forget to challenge the question itself.
Can someone just clarify for me, as Im not sure my teacher is 100% with BUSS4. With the section B questions, will they be based on the same Bullet points (gov policy, tech change, globalisation, location and ops/ threats)?

Cheers :biggrin:
Original post by james.pavey
Can someone just clarify for me, as Im not sure my teacher is 100% with BUSS4. With the section B questions, will they be based on the same Bullet points (gov policy, tech change, globalisation, location and ops/ threats)?

Cheers :biggrin:

No, Section A is based on the research theme with the five bullet points. Section B is everything to do with Managing Change and the Business Environment (so what you've been learning in class). Here's a useful link with everything on Section B: http://beta.tutor2u.net/business/blog/aqa-buss4-revision-presentations

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending