The Student Room Group

Hard C4 Binomial Expansion Question HELP!

I've been struggling with these questions on the binomial expansion.

a) Find the binomial expansion of (1 + kx)-2 up to and including the term x3, where k is a constant.
b) The binomial expansion of (1 + kx)-2 - (1 + x)n is 6x2 + px3
(b)(i). Show that n = -2k
(b)(ii) Given that n < 0, find the value of p

I've done part (a) and (b)(i), but no idea how to even start on (b)(ii)! Can someone PLEASE help!!!

Thankyou so much!
Original post by CleverGirl383

a) Find the binomial expansion of (1 + kx)-2 up to and including the term x3, where k is a constant.

I've done part (a) and (b)(i), but no idea how to even start on (b)(ii)! Can someone PLEASE help!!!

Thankyou so much!

Use the 6x^2 to find k and n
Reply 2
you need to find the coefficient of x^3 you do this by finding the cofficient of x^3 in both (1+kx)^-2 and -(1+x)^n. CARE FOR THE MINUS. the "given that n<0" means the exponent of the binomial expansion is negative and therefore goes on forever, telling the person solving it that it has an expansion for 3!n(n-1)(n-2)x^3
Original post by JSShaw
you need to find the coefficient of x^3 you do this by finding the cofficient of x^3 in both (1+kx)^-2 and -(1+x)^n. CARE FOR THE MINUS. the "given that n<0" means the exponent of the binomial expansion is negative and therefore goes on forever, telling the person solving it that it has an expansion for 3!n(n-1)(n-2)x^3

I've got the coefficient of x3 in (1 + kx)-2 as -4k3x3 and as for (1 + x)n I got [(n3 - 3n2 + 2n)x3] / 6 but don't know what I'm supposed to do with this?
Reply 4
I've got the coefficient of x3 in (1 + kx)-2 as -4k3x3 and as for (1 + x)n I got [(n3 - 3n2 + 2n)x3] / 6 but don't know what I'm supposed to do with this?

Read the question, you have an equation from the previous question for possibly substituting

Thankyou so much!

For starters, have you obtained the coefficient of x2 in the expansion of (1 + kx)-2 - (1 + x)n? Set that to be equal to 6 by comparison, and see if you can arrive at n=-2k.

Peace.
(edited 9 years ago)

I repeat

Use 6x^2 to find n and k
Original post by WhiteGroupMaths
For starters, have you obtained the coefficient of x2 in the expansion of (1 + kx)-2 - (1 + x)n? Set that to be equal to 6 by comparison, and see if you can arrive at n=-2k.

Peace.

She will have used the coefficient of x to get that result
Reply 8
Did anyone find out how to do this because I'm stuck on this same question? and what is the answer because I think I've done it totally wrong
Reply 9
Original post by shuayb96
Did anyone find out how to do this because I'm stuck on this same question? and what is the answer because I think I've done it totally wrong

I shall do it tommorrow for
You, or talents point you in the right direction
Reply 10
Original post by JSShaw
I shall do it tommorrow for
You, or talents point you in the right direction

The poster above has now started another thread for this question, so it's being answered there :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by davros
The poster above has now started another thread for this question, so it's being answered there :smile:

Can you link to the thread? I'm new to this so I don't have a clue how to find it ?
Reply 12
Original post by shuayb96
Can you link to the thread? I'm new to this so I don't have a clue how to find it ?

Really? It's your thread :biggrin:

Here's the link:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2999777
Did anyone actually answer this question?
Reply 14
Original post by Vicky1001
Did anyone actually answer this question?

I don't think the previous poster ever returned to his new thread after I'd left some suggestions on it!

Are you trying this question now?

Quick Reply

Latest