The Student Room Group
Reply 1
desirable for what?
Reply 2
Undry1
are cambridge and oxford the only two universites that say that physics is highly desirable. and by highly desirable what do they mean? do they mean right next to compulsory, or if you dont have it, never mind?

oxford don't say that it is highly desirable - its just cambridge.

And many people doing maths at cambridge don't have maths - just contact your college of preference and ask their opinion. It differs from college to college
Reply 3
Katie Heskins

And many people doing maths at cambridge don't have maths - just contact your college of preference and ask their opinion. It differs from college to college

Erm...I don't understand your post - perhaps it's a typo, but I would have thought that having an A level in Maths is vital to studying degree level Maths at any university, never mind Cambridge!
Reply 4
yawn1
Erm...I don't understand your post - perhaps it's a typo, but I would have thought that having an A level in Maths is vital to studying degree level Maths at any university, never mind Cambridge!

soz meant physics !!
Reply 5
Right I'm confused! If you mean do you have to have done maths to study Physics at uni, then the answer is YES!!!!!!!! Physics is an applied branch of maths and science and Maths is a vital aspect of the course at any University in the UK! I would imagine very few universities would accept you without having done Maths @ A-Level (except Paisley Uni which only requires on a-level at a D to be accepted onto the Physics course!). I would not even consider applying to do Physics if you haven't studied Maths to A-Level! Many uni's prefer you to have done f.maths too! If you think you can study Physics at uni without having done maths then I'm afraid you're considering the wrong degree...
Reply 6
Katie Heskins

good point. apologies to all oxford students.:biggrin:
Reply 7
I've havn't done physics AS or A Level and it was never a problem for me, they don't care as long as you are taking appropraite maths a-levels and do as many mech modules as you can really, even then they still arn't too bothered, they'd rather you do what you enjoy, be it stats or mech (or, god forbid, decision maths)
Reply 8
theone
I've havn't done physics AS or A Level and it was never a problem for me, they don't care as long as you are taking appropraite maths a-levels and do as many mech modules as you can really, even then they still arn't too bothered, they'd rather you do what you enjoy, be it stats or mech (or, god forbid, decision maths)

They will teach you things afresh I guess. Like how an aerofoil really works (not that air flows faster over the top c**p).

Latest

Trending

Trending