The Student Room Group

Edexcel Chemistry (A2)

Why is a level chemistry so bad?
There is no logical way to look at questions (except calculations) and I never seem to know what worded questions are looking for. Mark schemes are always so vague!

Can someone give me some advice on how to approach questions and revision for chem?

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by AK27-
There is no logical way to look at questions (except calculations) and I never seem to know what worded questions are looking for. Mark schemes are always so vague!

Can someone give me some advice on how to approach questions and revision for chem?

It's not bad. Have you seen biology?
Reply 3
Original post by morgan8002

I have a few friends doing biology, it seems so boring and theres lots of work. Glad i didn't pick it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AK27-
I have a few friends doing biology, it seems so boring and theres lots of work. Glad i didn't pick it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant the mark schemes. The problems you seem to have with chemistry are ten times worse in biology.
Reply 5
I meant the mark schemes. The problems you seem to have with chemistry are ten times worse in biology.

Ah. I assume that a lot of biology is about memorising information and application of it (similar to chem) but i cant seem to get the hang of it. You have any tips that you can share from your experiences with biology?
Original post by AK27-
Ah. I assume that a lot of biology is about memorising information and application of it (similar to chem) but i cant seem to get the hang of it. You have any tips that you can share from your experiences with biology?

Make sure that you read through each mark scheme in detail after you do the question. This thread may help a bit:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3026133&p=52238269#post52238269
Original post by AK27-

DBZ fellow fan :smile:

My old avi as well :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm also studying Chemistry alongside Biology, Psychology and History. Out of them all, Chemistry has to be the hardest A-Level I'm studying

I do have to agree with you that the questions are quite hard to understand some times but I'd say look at the answers themselves and compare the questions to them. Look at what they want to hear in your answer since answers are bound to given to you.

Look at what you struggle with and learn it by teaching yourself and making notes (when I mean by teaching yourself, I actually mean use a whiteboard sometimes or something to teach yourself like how a teacher would teach a student, it actually helps)

Just asking, what board for Chemistry are you doing at A-Level? I'm currently on Edexcel and mark schemes aren't too bad

In regards to Biology, out of 10, its about 6 in terms of difficulty, if you get the right points you're sorted with Chemistry, its about the application of knowledge mainly with some contextual knowledge being tested out on.

Just learn the content and understand the concepts. Ensure you make notes (I like my notes colourful :tongue:) and understand everything before tackling questions and past papers :smile:

And yes, Biology mark schemes are more vague than Chemistry mark schemes :tongue:

Chemistry on the same scale is about 9 out of 10 :frown:

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Original post by zhang-liao

Anyway, I'm also studying Chemistry alongside Biology, Psychology and History. Out of them all, Chemistry has to be the hardest A-Level I'm studying

I do have to agree with you that the questions are quite hard to understand some times but I'd say look at the answers themselves and compare the questions to them. Look at what they want to hear in your answer since answers are bound to given to you.

Look at what you struggle with and learn it by teaching yourself and making notes (when I mean by teaching yourself, I actually mean use a whiteboard sometimes or something to teach yourself like how a teacher would teach a student, it actually helps)

Just asking, what board for Chemistry are you doing at A-Level? I'm currently on Edexcel and mark schemes aren't too bad

In regards to Biology, out of 10, its about 6 in terms of difficulty, if you get the right points you're sorted with Chemistry, its about the application of knowledge mainly with some contextual knowledge being tested out on.

Just learn the content and understand the concepts. Ensure you make notes (I like my notes colourful :tongue:) and understand everything before tackling questions and past papers :smile:

And yes, Biology mark schemes are more vague than Chemistry mark schemes :tongue:

Chemistry on the same scale is about 9 out of 10 :frown:

Hope this helps :biggrin:

I agree on the difficulty of the content, but getting the right points can be very difficult in biology. In chemistry if you understand the content, you get the marks, but with biology it's less clear cut.
I agree on the difficulty of the content, but getting the right points can be very difficult in biology. In chemistry if you understand the content, you get the marks, but with biology it's less clear cut.

Fair enough :tongue:
Reply 10

Ah, i used to watch DBZ alot when I was younger! :tongue:
I have really lost interest in chemistry recently, so im not that motivated to learn the subject, maybe thats why Ive seemed to struggle so far.
Out of interest are you in the first year or second year of college?
Original post by AK27-
Ah, i used to watch DBZ alot when I was younger! :tongue:
I have really lost interest in chemistry recently, so im not that motivated to learn the subject, maybe thats why Ive seemed to struggle so far.
Out of interest are you in the first year or second year of college?

I'm in Year 12 so first year of college :smile:

I guess you could say that but then again, it is something I find quite fun although sometimes difficult. (Fun excludes Hess's Law :lol:)
Reply 12

I guess you could say that but then again, it is something I find quite fun although sometimes difficult. (Fun excludes Hess's Law :lol:)

Im in 2nd year, just some advice make sure you know what you want to do at uni now and make sure you have some work experience/extra curricular activity to go with it, will be very handy. And also revise early on, and dont get complacent like I did!

I hated hess's law so much! But its not too bad when you get used to it. If you enjoy it, i guess it should be easier to revise then, make sure you get lots of practice done for the exams

Hess's law is just simple vectors.
Original post by AK27-
Im in 2nd year, just some advice make sure you know what you want to do at uni now and make sure you have some work experience/extra curricular activity to go with it, will be very handy. And also revise early on, and dont get complacent like I did!

I hated hess's law so much! But its not too bad when you get used to it. If you enjoy it, i guess it should be easier to revise then, make sure you get lots of practice done for the exams

Thanks for the advice. Was so indecisive in the beginning of Year 12 as to what degree but hoping to a chemistry-related degree :colondollar:

And I've got some extra-curricular activities (Subject Mentoring for Chemistry GCSE and Year 7 Maths and also at a primary) and am hoping to take part in C3L6 competition later this year, attend some lectures by Royal Society of Chemistry and also do some work experience by Nuffield later this year in the summer :colondollar:
Just hoping that might be enough...

I'm kinda revising but I don't feel like I do enough though :frown:

Hess's Law is like :poo: Can't stand it but generally I love chemistry. Enthalpy was fun at GCSE :frown:

EDIT - Just asking, what universities you hoping to study at next year and what courses as well?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hess's law is just simple vectors.

But how?

And I don't study Physics...:colondollar:
Reply 16
Thanks for the advice. Was so indecisive in the beginning of Year 12 as to what degree but hoping to a chemistry-related degree :colondollar:

And I've got some extra-curricular activities (Subject Mentoring for Chemistry GCSE and Year 7 Maths and also at a primary) and am hoping to take part in C3L6 competition later this year, attend some lectures by Royal Society of Chemistry and also do some work experience by Nuffield later this year in the summer :colondollar:
Just hoping that might be enough...

I'm kinda revising but I don't feel like I do enough though :frown:

Hess's Law is like :poo: Can't stand it but generally I love chemistry. Enthalpy was fun at GCSE :frown:

EDIT - Just asking, what universities you hoping to study at next year and what courses as well?

Ive got an offer from Warwick to study accounting and finance, I just need to get AAA this year, simple enough :s-smilie:
What did you get at GCSE?
Original post by AK27-
Ive got an offer from Warwick to study accounting and finance, I just need to get AAA this year, simple enough :s-smilie:
What did you get at GCSE?

Good Luck :smile:

GCSEs
Biology - A
Chemistry - A*
Physics - B
Maths - B
English Lang - B
English Lit - B
History iGCSE - B
ICT - A*
Humanities - B
Citizenship - A* NOT B
Religious Studies - B
And two other GCSE's I won't mention....

Wasn't great :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Good Luck :smile:

GCSEs
Biology - A
Chemistry - A*
Physics - B
Maths - B
English Lang - B
English Lit - B
History iGCSE - B
ICT - A*
Humanities - B
Citizenship - B
Religious Studies - B
And two other GCSE's I won't mention....

Wasn't great :frown:

Not bad, if you put the work in this year you can get 4 A's or as close to it as possible!
Original post by AK27-
Not bad, if you put the work in this year you can get 4 A's or as close to it as possible!

Hopefully...:redface:

Quick Reply

Latest