This discussion is closed.
etomac
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Which university should I apply for if I want to do Econ
because UCL seems to rank the first in the economics list..
Aylia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd go for LSE as it's generally got a better reputation - it's often considered along with Oxbridge. I don't think It would make make much difference though - go on which course you prefer I think.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why not both? That way if you miss LSE you've got a backup. The rankings are so skewed - LSE has the rep!
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by etomac)
Which university should I apply for if I want to do Econ
because UCL seems to rank the first in the economics list..
LSE. Americans have heard of it
big mama
Report 16 years ago
Both are fine. LSE probably has the stronger reputation generally - more international and social science bias. UCL maybe a bit stronger on the maths side?
DLo
Report 16 years ago
i agree with mysticmin that u should apply for both. I did and got offers for both. however it is worth noting that both have AAA offers. i'm going to LSE. the main reason for this is cos of the rep and i also plan to work in the USA some day. However they are both relatively the same. However LSE has more famous alumni and has a higher application per place ration so i felt like i had achieved more by geting an offer there. BUt UCL has a lot cheaper accomadation and in some cases closer accomadation. Also UCL teaches a wider range of subjects so might be more fun so u can get to know more people. Although UCL has a weaker international rep than LSE, it has a good rep in the UK and its international rep will be improved in a few years cos it is hosting some kind of international econometrics competition. one of the bad points of LSE apartfrom the cost is that apparently cos a lot of the lectures will be done by foreign outside guest that a lot of them are incomprehendable.

but LSE is LSE! and it probably sounds better to say "i've studied economics at the london school of economics.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're planning on going to uni this year, would any of these financial reasons stop you?

Not being able to work now to save up for uni (90)
13.89%
Reduced household income due to coronavirus means I can't afford to go (53)
8.18%
Lack of part-time jobs to support me while I'm at uni (83)
12.81%
Lack of graduate job prospects when I finish uni (78)
12.04%
Other reasons are stopping me going (83)
12.81%
Nothing is stopping me going (261)
40.28%

Watched Threads