The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coqthepoliceman
i really dont understand what is meant by critical mass in fission reaction, can someone explain it to me pls

The critical mass is the smallest mass of fissile material in the fuel rods required to provide a sustainable chain reaction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i really dont understand what is meant by critical mass in fission reaction, can someone explain it to me pls

Critical mass is- the minimum amount of mass required for a self sustaining nuclear fission reactor. This means that it has enough fissionable material in the fuel so that when a thermal neutron hit the fuel rod it has a good chance of hitting a fissionable nuclei.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1962

In order to maintain a reaction rate of one neutron per fission to cause another fission.

So you'll need a critical mass of fuel to maintain this... If you go below it than the nuclear reactor will cease to function you go above then it would go out of control.

Correct me if I'm wrong please :smile:
Can someone help explain Q 2b on the june 2011 paper please?
thanks for clearing that up, just couldnt understand the wording of the book
Original post by MSB47
In order to maintain a reaction rate of one neutron per fission to cause another fission.

So you'll need a critical mass of fuel to maintain this... If you go below it than the nuclear reactor will cease to function you go above then it would go out of control.

Correct me if I'm wrong please :smile:

You are correct. However, something to note, in actual fission reactors they use super critical mass (i.e. greater than the critical mass) and use control rods to limit the reaction rate by raising or lowering the control rods into the reactor.
Original post by gcsestuff
Yeah that's what I'm trying to do:smile:

I always think about the space ship and time so I know moving objects time is slower but what do you think about for the other

Posted from TSR Mobile

So the same with others. A moving body has kinetic energy and so has a greater mass than its rest mass.
With the length it's quite tricky thinking about it. Of course a moving body shrinks in length but also the distance the moving body travels shrinks because as the time in the moving frame of reference slows down this means that the distance the moving frame travels has to shrink so that the stationary observer will see that the moving frame travels the same distance in the same time, if that makes sense but I'm not really sure about the length contraction of the moving frame itself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1967
Original post by _Caz_

X

Can I ask how it got the value for (a) in your Astro telescope CGP question?

I got this, which I know I wrong according to the mark scheme you posted, but if it's a single 25m dish, surely you just do the wavelength over 25m?

Even when I do the wavelength over 25x27 (as seen on the right) it gets a number which is out by a factor of ten?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434536460.304197.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
For those doing Turning Points is muon decay really important?
Original post by Disney0702
For those doing Turning Points is muon decay really important?

Yes, we do need to for the evidence of time dilation, unfortunately :smile:ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434536702.850039.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Came across this question, am I missing something because I used the equation given in the data sheet, which has (1-v^2/c^2)^-0.5, however they did not have the minus power?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434536709.792152.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1434536727.305178.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone explain where equation Theta = Sr comes from??
i dont understand how it makes sense when using it in calculations and what do the S and r represent??

thanks
Reply 1972
Original post by SuperMushroom
Can someone explain where equation Theta = Sr comes from??
i dont understand how it makes sense when using it in calculations and what do the S and r represent??

thanks

http://www.mathwarehouse.com/trigonometry/radians/s=r-theta-formula-equation.php

For a small angle approximation, the arc length is almost like a triangle, meaning we can simply treat it as theta = S/r

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
http://www.mathwarehouse.com/trigonometry/radians/s=r-theta-formula-equation.php

For a small angle approximation, the arc length is almost like a triangle, meaning we can simply treat it as theta = S/r

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ill have a look at this now, thanks
anyone doing medical option?
Original post by Klaxoii
Came across this question, am I missing something because I used the equation given in the data sheet, which has (1-v^2/c^2)^-0.5, however they did not have the minus power?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434536709.792152.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1434536727.305178.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's very strange. Which paper is that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1976
Original post by SuperMushroom
Ill have a look at this now, thanks

No worries!
Not feeling this at all. I just hope my university doesn't question why I want to major in Physics when Physics ends up being my worst A Level :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
That's very strange. Which paper is that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure of the specific paper, it's on the physicandmathstutor.com website, in the special relativity questions, I think it's old syllabus however

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Klaxoii
I'm not sure of the specific paper, it's on the physicandmathstutor.com website, in the special relativity questions, I think it's old syllabus however

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the tutor is turning points 6 on your tabs can j just ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending