The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4720
Athena
Yep - a lab meeting, and then a crash course in PCR optimisation and DNA analysis...

I've got two weeks left now. I can't wait to go home properly - I've only been back for two weekends since 0th week - it's now 16th :eek:
Reply 4721
cpchem
I've got two weeks left now. I can't wait to go home properly - I've only been back for two weekends since 0th week - it's now 16th :eek:

Ouch :s-smilie: Has it gone OK though?
Reply 4722
Athena
Ouch :s-smilie: Has it gone OK though?

Yeah, pretty well, thanks! I'm slowly overcoming my innate incompetence, and hopefully I will start making my proteins this week. Assuming the peptide machine has been fixed... otherwise I've spent five weeks making amino acids for absolutely no purpose.
I'm so glad I'm an Arts student
Reply 4724
vapid slut magician
Trinity. I did like the college, I just didn't really have friends there, they were mostly at other colleges.

So were mine, but 5 minutes walk would take me to at least 10 of the colleges. Plus I still knew most people in college, but then Oxford colleges are smaller than Cambridge ones, especially Trinity.
Reply 4725
cpchem
Yeah, pretty well, thanks! I'm slowly overcoming my innate incompetence, and hopefully I will start making my proteins this week. Assuming the peptide machine has been fixed... otherwise I've spent five weeks making amino acids for absolutely no purpose.

Chemists make proteins??
Reply 4726
vapid slut magician
I'm so glad I'm an Arts student

Haha so am I before I remember I actually have to choose a career. I'm going into third year and starting to enter panic mode.
Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks the Oxford careers service is crap.
Reply 4727
arod
Chemists make proteins??

When we need to, yep!
*Katie*
Haha so am I before I remember I actually have to choose a career. I'm going into third year and starting to enter panic mode.
Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks the Oxford careers service is crap.

have you actually used it?
Reply 4729
probably not
have you actually used it?

Yes.
*Katie*

Yeah the benefit of a science degree is that you're useful to society and won't end up unemployed giving hand jobs for meth.
I left my bike outside my college for 2 weeks because I couldn't find any space in the bike shed...I came back yesterday to find both wheels completely bent/slashed and the frame apparently damaged and bent beyond repair. Not happy about that! Ah well...life goes on.
I get why people nick bikes, but I don't really understand the motive behind the massive amount of bicycle mutilation you see in Oxford. Is it hate at Oxford students (do people that actually live there all year round find us really annoying? I can see how we could be just as irritating as the tourists, in our particular way), or just bored/"rebellious"/etc people doing in in the same way they'd do unclever, ugly graffiti?

And commiserations at TarnishPenny, hopefully you can find a new one for not too much. I acquired a bike at the end of last term and have been scared for it ever since, despite the fact that it's been tucked away so far in the college bike shed.
Hah, I like this idea:
http://voxford.blogspot.com/2007/11/oxford-bike-cull.html
I asked about something I had heard: that gangs of thieves steal bikes in Oxford to sell in Cambridge and bikes in Cambridge to sell in Oxford, creating a neverending pipeline of purloined bikes that are shuttled between the two college towns.
ixivxivi
I get why people nick bikes, but I don't really understand the motive behind the massive amount of bicycle mutilation you see in Oxford. Is it hate at Oxford students (do people that actually live there all year round find us really annoying? I can see how we could be just as irritating as the tourists, in our particular way), or just bored/"rebellious"/etc people doing in in the same way they'd do unclever, ugly graffiti?

And commiserations at TarnishPenny, hopefully you can find a new one for not too much. I acquired a bike at the end of last term and have been scared for it ever since, despite the fact that it's been tucked away so far in the college bike shed.

Half the time it's other students that damage bikes. In term time, plenty of drunk students will kick bikes that are chained up.
Ouch, I would've thought empathy (most of the students seeming to at some point own a bike) would've helped prevent that.
Reply 4736
I suspect drunkenly tripping over other people's bikes might also be part of the problem :p:
RawJoh1
Half the time it's other students that damage bikes. In term time, plenty of drunk students will kick bikes that are chained up.

Yep - certainly happened to mine.

No idea who it was, but it was pissing annoying - cost me £35 for a new wheel (on a bike which was £60 new!)
Reply 4738
Popa Dom
Really need to finally start doing all this lawsoc stuff..

I wish I could be as cool and important as you.

Those are the dates of Full Term - that is, from the Sunday of 1st Week.
Hoofbeat
Yeah don't use Shirtworks - they do rip everyone off and do a lousy job! Most of the time the print comes off after a few washes.

I think some people use internet companies nowadays, but I'm not sure who. It's a long shot but try searching (if you can) for threads on the forums at www.ourcs.org.uk as I know it's definitely come up there before.

ARGHHH I have my viva today!!!

I have used Shirtworks twice and on both occasions thay have done an excellent job. I did some online price comparisons and they were not the cheapest but niether were they the most expensive. Indigo seemed to be the more expensive option.Things do get pricier if you are using brand new artwork but Shirtworks have all the college crests ready to go for embroidery so they don't charge you for those. The other companies will charge you 'setup'. I would recommend them as they haven't cocked up my orders or anyone elses that I know who have used them.

Latest

Trending

Trending