The Student Room Group

GYG Journal: Pass YR13 With Me!

gyg journal: pass yr13 with me!
Welcome to my blog! This is intended to log my progress made to progress and pass my last year of highschool (man i feel old...)

about me
I am an international student who's aim is to apply to study in UK next year. I am not sure on what degree yet, but my 1# choice ATM is chemistry! When I'm not procrastinating about my studies, you will find me watching Netflix :angelblush:.

current grades
The subjects I take in A-level is Chemistry, Biology and Math which, I know is veryyyy generic. :banghead: I haven't gotten my predicted grades yet but when I do, I'll obviously update.

my IGCSE grades
Math (A)
English (A)
Chemistry (A*)
Biology (A*)
History (A)
English Literature (A*)
my AS grades
Math (a)
Chemistry (a)
Biology (a)
english proficiency test
IELTS (8.0)

I am extremely proud of my AS grades but wish I could've done better for my IGCSES...

goals

I am hoping to get predicted at least A*AA! (Got A*A*A)

Pass the year!

Finish my personal statement by September. (Done and dusted.)

Create and STICK (this is the worst part) to a study plan. (KIND of achieved cuz I study everyday)

Try to regularly update the blog.

I hope you will enjoy my future updates!:hippie:
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

to do for tomorrow~
My main goal for tomorrow is to finish with the reading that I will mention in my personal statement and log what I learnt (+ reflections and stuff) onto my notion!

Finish week 1 of my MOOC!

Finish 2 chapters of SITOC

Listen to UCI and make notes + H2 clean energy newsletter!

Listen to some ted talks and YT videos.

Look into how to organize my YR12 notes for YR13

If you are interested into learning how I log what I learn for my personal statement I usually go with:

What I learned - what did I find most interesting/fascinating about the resource?

What I found challenging - what concepts did it take a long time for me to wrap my head around (thermodynamics in SITPC was a BIG one :colondollar:.

What I would like to find more about - which parts prompted me into deeper research?

What can I link the resource too - did I hear this from one of my A level courses?

I hope I can achieve all my goals tomorrow... I'm a huge procrastinator so it's a huge struggle sometimes. I think this blog will keep me motivated :h:, writing it already has me going hahaha!
Reply 2
Hi! Just found this thread :h: !!!
Wishing you all the best and I'll be here cheering you on~
Hi! I haven't updated in a while, but I have been working on making flashcards for my A2! I'll try to stick to daily posting but if I don't just know I'm still doing my best to accomplish my goals. Thanks for the support :smile:
Original post by hhhhu09-ioju90
Hi! I haven't updated in a while, but I have been working on making flashcards for my A2! I'll try to stick to daily posting but if I don't just know I'm still doing my best to accomplish my goals. Thanks for the support :smile:

lolol just found this thread good luck good luck...
update + mini goals
Quick update! I've been struggling to maintain my goals since my mom is coming back soon, so the whole house has to be squeaky clean from top to bottom (LOL). However, I've made huge progress in making my flashcards for A2, which will make revision so MUCH easier. I've also wanted to mention that AI (yes, the very one that might end humanity) has been excellent for revision. For example, when reviewing the first few pages of chemical energetics, I was really perplexed with why electron affinity can be exothermic and endothermic and Chat GPT answered it with ease.

Now, here are some goals I set for myself:
- Finish WK1 of MOOC (85% done~)
- Read until chapter 4 of SITOC (50% done!)
- Pace myself - I do NOT want to burn out before school even starts hah!

:biggrin:
(edited 8 months ago)
update!
I'm super happy to report to you after 4 days with the news that I have started consistently working everyday towards finishing my flashcards. Good news aside, I really need to start working on my personal statement. I'm not sure where to start... Maybe I will make a google doc with every activity I have done towards my major (Chemistry~) and see how bits and pieces will compile together!
Let's see if I can build up to posting everyday (probably not but lets see...)
(edited 7 months ago)
update!
HEY GUYS! Did y'all miss me (hehe). My school starts this Monday so I can finally update you all on my daily progress.
STAY TUNED MUAH MUAH
(edited 7 months ago)
update!
Hey guys! It's nighttime for me right now and I am here to update you on what I did today!
It was my first day of school and it was so exhausting that I took a long nap (4 hours ish) when I came home. This reduced what I could do but I did the best I could:

Read one chapter for my PS. Honestly, it was the most boring chapter because it was so closely linked with biology haha

Listened to a podcast for my PS.

Revised unit 12.1 for Biology

Reviewed 20 flashcards

Upon reflection, I wished I squeezed in some work for chemistry and maths but I'm really proud of myself.
update!
I'm back with another update! In all seriousness, I am exhausted. In fact, I took another nap (unwillingly)! I wonder how I can be so tired when I'm getting my 8+ hours in... hmm that seems like a medical mystery LOL. It's nighttime again and I am about to start cleaning my desk to prepare to sleep but I remembered to update what I did today. So, without further ado, here is what I did:

Did some math work in my worksheet provided about modulus function.

Did 33 flashcards for chemistry

I'll be honest, I wish I did more. I have to start working on decreasing my standards on myself because they seem harder and harder to reach by day.
Good news though, my teacher provided raw marks for my Chemistry AS and I was not looking forward to it. I assumed that I got bare minimum for each, but she surprised me and said I only got 5 wrong in MCQ! That did increase my ego a bit, if I'm being totally honest hehe.

Ok this is all for today, see you! Have sweet dreams~:biggrin:
(edited 7 months ago)
HEY its been like 4 days since I posted and I do have a reason why I haven't been active. I've been working on my PS! I finished the first draft today and am now sending it to close family and friends (and TSR when I settle on my final draft).
Hi @hhhhu09-ioju90 just to let you know I've moved your blog over to the new forum for Grow Your Grades 2023-24. Good luck with everything!
update!
Wow, I can't believe it's been 5 days since I last updated... did you guys miss me:grouphugs:? Anyhow, I want to thank @Pwca for adding me to the new forum, I loved reading other people's GYG blogs!

Now, onto what I've been up to in these past 5 days:

Really focused on finishing the first chapter of biology and chemistry... which I did! :cool: I plan to start revising the second chapters for both today.

Came up with a bad case of the flu :nothing: which has made studying super hard with all the pain and agony - so not very different from normal LOL.

Finished my second (and hopefully final) draft of PS! I sent it to TSR and many friends and will be making massive edits next week based on those feedbacks.

Struggling with math :mad:. I was never really strong with math, but mechanics has been beating me especially hard these days...

Got my predictions! I got A*A*A predictions though I think my math teacher was really harsh with the predictions. PUM's that were 80 got a prediction of A (yes, even if the person has received 89). I thought about talking to him about it but I'm not going to bother :frown:.

I've decided to apply to Oxford for Chemistry. Although I'm quite nervous and understand that my chances may be slim, I believe life is too short not to take chances. Even if I face rejection, it will be better than living with the 'what if' had I decided not to apply. My other uni choices are UCL, Bath, Imperial and Edinburgh. I will also apply to places out of the UK, such as Singapore, Sweden etc.

Very proud of myself for being consistent. :thumbsup:

Oh, and I've realized I've never told you anything about myself besides academics. Well, I am a huge K-pop fan which might strike you as a red flag but trust me I'm very normal:colondollar:. I have a concerning sweet tooth, I can't sleep without having something sweet like chocolates etc. Annddd, I am the proud mother of two naughty fur babies:nyan:!
That's all for now. I may not update every day, but I won't neglect this forum. See you <3!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 13
YES, WE MISSED YOU.
Best of luck with your many uni applications omg~ >-< We're cheering you on.
Another fellow k-pop fan here too? Can we share spotifys AHHHH!?
Also, you have FUR BABIES?? What are their names?!:dancing:
Well, I am a huge K-pop fan which might strike you as a red flag but trust me I'm very normal:colondollar:.

Can't relate, unfortunately I'm absolutely delusional (jk), what groups do you stan? Big fan of svt, nct, txt, skz and ateez.
update!
Wow, I can't believe it's been 5 days since I last updated... did you guys miss me:grouphugs:? Anyhow, I want to thank @Pwca for adding me to the new forum, I loved reading other people's GYG blogs!

Now, onto what I've been up to in these past 5 days:

Really focused on finishing the first chapter of biology and chemistry... which I did! :cool: I plan to start revising the second chapters for both today.

Came up with a bad case of the flu :nothing: which has made studying super hard with all the pain and agony - so not very different from normal LOL.

Finished my second (and hopefully final) draft of PS! I sent it to TSR and many friends and will be making massive edits next week based on those feedbacks.

Struggling with math :mad:. I was never really strong with math, but mechanics has been beating me especially hard these days...

Got my predictions! I got A*A*A predictions though I think my math teacher was really harsh with the predictions. PUM's that were 80 got a prediction of A (yes, even if the person has received 89). I thought about talking to him about it but I'm not going to bother :frown:.

I've decided to apply to Oxford for Chemistry. Although I'm quite nervous and understand that my chances may be slim, I believe life is too short not to take chances. Even if I face rejection, it will be better than living with the 'what if' had I decided not to apply. My other uni choices are UCL, Bath, Imperial and Edinburgh. I will also apply to places out of the UK, such as Singapore, Sweden etc.

Very proud of myself for being consistent. :thumbsup:

Oh, and I've realized I've never told you anything about myself besides academics. Well, I am a huge K-pop fan which might strike you as a red flag but trust me I'm very normal:colondollar:. I have a concerning sweet tooth, I can't sleep without having something sweet like chocolates etc. Annddd, I am the proud mother of two naughty fur babies:nyan:!
That's all for now. I may not update every day, but I won't neglect this forum. See you <3!

I’m a little late here…

Hope you speedily recover from the flu. It sucks - I had a bad case of it during the time I had my interviews with Oxford (yet somehow despite that I still got in).

I am so glad to see we agree on your stance regarding applying to Oxford. Life is indeed much too short to not take any chances. Have you looked into colleges that appeal?
Original post by enhaluvr
YES, WE MISSED YOU.

Beat me to it lol...
Original post by enhaluvr
YES, WE MISSED YOU.

I'll PM you my username shortly! I have two cats and their names are Prince and Violet :smile:!
Original post by toothysmile
Can't relate, unfortunately I'm absolutely delusional (jk), what groups do you stan? Big fan of svt, nct, txt, skz and ateez.

I'm a big GG fan. TWICE, NJ, Kiss of Life! The only bg song I really was obsessed with this year was Perfume :colone:
I'm a big GG fan. TWICE, NJ, Kiss of Life! The only bg song I really was obsessed with this year was Perfume :colone:

Perfume is so good, sth about it slapps so hard!! Sorry to hear about all the disbandment news from gg this year, it's rough... But hopefully the new HybexGeffen gg will cheer you up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending