The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ok...i'm gona have a rant...

is it just me, or is the Oxford forum getting ridiculously messy? all these new applicants are creating new threads left right and centre....when there's no need to! why are they creating "college offer/rejection threads" etc? i swear we wasn't that bad last year...i remember searching through all the existing threads if i wanted to find something out, and if i wanted to ask something new or that i couldnt find, i'd post on an existing thread relating to my question....so whats happened this year? :confused:

hehe sorry, rant over :p:
Reply 981
No you weren't this bad last year, and neither were my year. However we have two main problems. One being that I'm pretty sure there are more applicants this year and they are more over the top, and two that we haven't had a moderator saying no, you can't do that, and merging all the threads into one, so it's a bit more difficult to yell at them to do the search engine. Believe me I've been levelling my shotgun for a while :wink:
Reply 982
I think we should lobby for an Oxford forum mini-mod OR a current students sub-forum. You only need ten frequent posters for a sub-forum, I believe, and we could make that up from this thread alone... I'm sure the Tabs could do with the same.
Reply 983
Definitely: you, me, Chloe, Sam, Will, Hayley, Stu, Jonathan, Peter, Feef, Rachel... yep I'm past 10 already! Others agree with us?
Bekaboo
Definitely: you, me, Chloe, Sam, Will, Hayley, Stu, Jonathan, Peter, Feef, Rachel... yep I'm past 10 already! Others agree with us?

Definitely agreed...the millions of threads are insane!!
Reply 985
PLEASE!

Watta nidea. :p:
Yeah there's at least 10 regular posters...would definitely be a good idea to get a sub-forum going :smile:

and you're right Bekaboo....theres far more on here this year, and no mod cleaning up the mess they're making...*tut tut*
Yeh go for it. Good idea :smile:
Reply 988
I'm putting a thread in About, and I'll post the link here for people to show their support :smile:

EDIT: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=330120
Reply 989
While I think a mini-mod would be a great idea, I'd strongly say no to a current students forum. It's just another place to check, and our threads haven't been falling off the bottom of the front page (much), as we only really have one thread. I'd much rather keep it as one forum but have a mini-mod who's able to clean it up and set a clear expectation that people do a search before posting a new thread, to see if there's already one (or 10) threads on that topic.
Reply 990
Yeh but there are other threads which would benefit from more responses that ARE getting pushed off. I think the best idea is a minimod but we need to decide on some kind of structure here. The problem is the influx of threads for EVERY college and EVERY subject - maybe if we'd been compiling a list of applicants this wouldn't have been a problem :frown: I mean which threads do we merge? Maybe we just have to put up with it for now and take this to heart for next year?
Reply 991
I do think a mini-mod would be a good idea, more because there would be more of a reason to think before starting a thread, but I must speak up in defence of the 2007 bunch:
Yes, they start a lot of pointless threads that overlap, and yes, they ask ridiculous questions that are either a) completely pointless (i.e. the size of the damn envelope - just rip it open :p:, or b) have been answered a million times before
BUT - remember that time of year? The waiting did feel endless, and it felt good to vent that unease somewhere. And the threads haven't been *that* - I'm sure last year there were at least 3 offer threads, and quite a few more random celebratory ones, as well as one which had everyone's interview questions on it.
It hasn't been that bad - especially as they'll all die down in a few weeks (wait for the stressing about missing grades :biggrin:), and the current students really don't use this as much as the applicants as a resource.
But I'm glad to know I'm not the only one hoping that certain people won't get in, just because they are extremely annoying.
Reply 992
Queen_A

But I'm glad to know I'm not the only one hoping that certain people won't get in, just because they are extremely annoying.

In my case, I'm resigned to their prescence around here for a little bit. Just hope that it was applicants' nerves and that they get better.
Reply 993
True. Although must say now celeritas has got her offer she's been far less verbal, which is a bit of a relief! Maybe the others will follow suite! Also Sam, you're on TSR after 11pm on Xmas eve - you loser :wink: Go to bed now or Santa won't come. (I have an excuse - have to go be angelic again @ 12)
Reply 994
Woooh ... I'll use the 1000th post on this thread to say Merry Christmas everyone!!

(I know it's sad I'm using TSR on xmas but I'm just waiting for Chloé to get out the shower so that I can have one too!)

Hope you all have a great day :smile:

PS - yes to mini-mod / new forum - that's why I never come on anymore - I got fed up of all the applicant threads. I was helpful for 2 years but can't be bothered anymore!
Merry Xmas Everyone!

Sorry I haven't been around recently, but I definitely think a mini-mod/sub-forum are BOTH good ideas (infact, I'm sure I mentioned the sub-forum before but there was a bit of resistance as then most of us would hang around in their and the applicants would have no1 to help them!)

Bekaboo
True. Although must say now celeritas has got her offer she's been far less verbal, which is a bit of a relief! Maybe the others will follow suite! Also Sam, you're on TSR after 11pm on Xmas eve - you loser :wink: Go to bed now or Santa won't come. (I have an excuse - have to go be angelic again @ 12)

Celeritas got an offer? Damn! She was reallllllllllllly irritating me and I was rather hoping she'd be rejected! (Is that a really mean thing to say on Xmas Day? :rolleyes: )
Reply 996
Bekaboo
Also Sam, you're on TSR after 11pm on Xmas eve - you loser :wink: Go to bed now or Santa won't come. (I have an excuse - have to go be angelic again @ 12)

Thanks! I'll have you know I was a bit of angel as well, randomly felt like going to Midnight Mass so I went. Was awesome. :biggrin:

So the same person got to everyone? I wonder if she reads this thread...

Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone! :biggrin: :party:
Woooh ... I'll use the 1000th post on this thread to say Merry Christmas everyone!!
Sorry- your post is #1001, according to my screen at least.
Reply 998
Hehe it's the 1000th reply - if you ever look at the number on the homepage of the forum and the number of posts its always 1 out because the # of replies column obviously doesn't count the first post.
Reply 999
Hoofbeat
Celeritas got an offer? Damn! She was reallllllllllllly irritating me and I was rather hoping she'd be rejected! (Is that a really mean thing to say on Xmas Day? :rolleyes: )

Hehe well she hadn't said anything in a few days so I kinda assumed she'd been rejected and had left the forum but I checked and she's in. Maybe she'll be a bit saner now...

sjuthani
Thanks! I'll have you know I was a bit of angel as well, randomly felt like going to Midnight Mass so I went. Was awesome

Good for you :smile: Sadly that doesn't constitute being angelic as to be truly angelic you need long blonde hair and a chorister's cassock :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending