The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Durham College Allocation Thread (for 2015 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arc0205
I got allocated there for psychology, just wondering if this was your first choice, wondering what it's like?

Didn't manage to get there on the open day but from what I read has a friendly reputation, is good because it's all one roof, decent bar and strange architecture which they all love/hate at the same time? Was my first choice- picked because of the size, and the music opportunities

Trevs banter begins...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 261
Is anyone else with an unconditional offer still waiting for college allocation? I received my offer before the first of Feb...Starting to feel really anxious!:s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by noumenon
what, from Durham?

Yes,sure.
Anyone going to St Hild & St Bede's open day thing?
Original post by paarkerpenn
Hey, sorry to but in,
I've applied for arch & anth at Durham via referral, I was just wondering how accommodation/colleges would work? If I get an offer, do I get assigned a college or can I choose still?
Thanks

You apply with a college preference, if you get an offer you will be allocated a college soon afterwards with your preference in mind. Though many people don't actually get their preference!
Original post by trubadur
Thank you very much.It is really reassuring:smile:
Are there good connections to Edinburgh or Doncaster airports?

Doncaster airport is virtually non-existent.

If you are wondering how well connected Durham University is to UK airports... then its a 20 minute bus trip to Newcastle Airport, which is a decent UK regional airport serviong a few European venues; And about a 75 minute journey to Manchester airport by bus or train (with 1 change), from where you can get to just about anywhere in the world.
Original post by game well and truly over
Doncaster airport is virtually non-existent.

If you are wondering how well connected Durham University is to UK airports... then its a 20 minute bus trip to Newcastle Airport, which is a decent UK regional airport serviong a few European venues; And about a 75 minute journey to Manchester airport by bus or train (with 1 change), from where you can get to just about anywhere in the world.

Thank you very much.Bucharest, where I live is very well linked to Birmingham, Manchester and Edinburgh.And surprisingly there is a direct low cost to Doncaster:smile:
Direct to the former, a change for the latter I believe via train. Go to newcastle and fly to either.

Thanks.It seems Edinburgh is the best access solution for me. The train journey should be about 90 mins.
Reply 268
Original post by Underc0verEmily
Anyone going to St Hild & St Bede's open day thing?

yeah :smile:I'm going Monday/Tuesday and am studying theoretical physics :colondollar: what day are you going? what subject?
Original post by Dougieowner
I filled out my name and then went to the accommodation section when it let me. I haven't booked anything yet, I was just curious to know.

What did the accommodation section say for you? Mines st.aidens, generic or my college placement I do not know still lol they did send me email yesterday allocating john snow- Stockton! Then told me on phone I was one of 12 that was misallocated and ignore the email lol
Original post by GreenMachine3006
What did the accommodation section say for you? Mines st.aidens, generic or my college placement I do not know still lol they did send me email yesterday allocating john snow- Stockton! Then told me on phone I was one of 12 that was misallocated and ignore the email lol

Mine said Grey College as the one I'd stay in for the open day, and then I got the email from the college confirming everything, so I know I'm definitely going there (if I get the grades!)

I don't really know about misallocations and how they work. Maybe they made a mistake? Sorry I can't be more helpful :frown:
Original post by Dougieowner
Mine said Grey College as the one I'd stay in for the open day, and then I got the email from the college confirming everything, so I know I'm definitely going there (if I get the grades!)

I don't really know about misallocations and how they work. Maybe they made a mistake? Sorry I can't be more helpful :frown:

Still helpful, as it's different accom and from that 'trick' tread I'm assuming I'm at St.Aidens. Just need to wait for confirmation. Ta v much =]
Reply 272
In terms of prestige they're pretty equal; St Andrews has the edge internationally, but Durham has it nationally, so this factor is pretty negligible.
With regards to teaching, Durham is brilliant. Whilst I haven't experienced much of St Andrews, after going to multiple philosophy and politics lectures given by Durham lecturers I can tell you that they're of a very good standard.
Also the student experience is better; Durham has the best of both worlds. Similar to St Andrews it's very old and 'pretty', and the inner city can feel like a small town at times. However, it also benefits from many of the features of a city, that St Andrews doesn't have ie cinemas, bars, clubs. It is also a couple of quid train ride away from Newcastle (my city) which has a great night life. Coupled with that, most trains which run north to south go through it because it aligns itself with Newcastle and Edinburgh, which is very convenient for lugging bags up and down (unlike St Andrews.)
Finally the collegiate system is a massive benefit in that it provides a security blanket for anyone nervous about moving from home, and ensures that you'll find a group of finds. On top of this the locals are hilarious.

Hope this is of help!!:smile:

Thanks a ton for that. My cousin just graduated from St. A and in terms of location and the general night life he said it really isn't as bad as people make it sound. Also he really really partied there.
So for me I guess the decision will come down to where the teaching is better. And it really helped to hear the philosophy and politics lecturers are brilliant in durham, since I am doing PPE.
In terms of prestige back home, unfortunately both are as unrecognised. Somehow Indian's only know London universities with a few exceptions. So I don't think that'll be much of a factor in my decision.
Ugh, I hate being this confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got into St Chad's for both Natural Sciences and Biological Sciences! I think I'll firm the Natural Sciences course pretty soon ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 274
Original post by themancunian
Wooo! :biggrin: same here! It's gonna be so much fun since it's such a small college!

I know, the feel of it is going to be so lovely, like a little community! I couldn't believe my luck, I really wanted to be on the Bailey!
Original post by paarkerpenn
Hey, sorry to but in,
I've applied for arch & anth at Durham via referral, I was just wondering how accommodation/colleges would work? If I get an offer, do I get assigned a college or can I choose still?
Thanks

Hi
I'm in a similar position. Have you heard anything back yet? When did you apply via referral?

Thanks
Original post by lililou
Hi
I'm in a similar position. Have you heard anything back yet? When did you apply via referral?

Thanks

Hi. I don't know about how referrals work. Did you apply through UCAS? If so you would have had to put a college down.
Original post by themancunian
Woop woop physics at St. Johns!

Same! So excited :smile:
Original post by Elle97
I know, the feel of it is going to be so lovely, like a little community! I couldn't believe my luck, I really wanted to be on the Bailey!

A cute and little community! Same! To me it looks so pretty and nice there!
Original post by ElsieLark
Same! So excited :smile:

Wooo :biggrin: that makes two of us!

Quick Reply

Latest