The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Year 2 entry Durham - College Accommodation

Hi

I have received an offer for entry in Year 2 of the MPhys Theoretical Physics course.

I am currently in the process of ranking colleges.

1) Do colleges offer guaranteed accommodation to Year 2 students if they are new to the uni?

2) Do Bailey colleges offer accommodation to Year students(Castle, Hatfield etc)

3) Is going to a Bailey college worth the trek to the science buildings?

4) Is there a bus service from the Bailey to the Science buildings?
Original post by Philip_04
Hi

I have received an offer for entry in Year 2 of the MPhys Theoretical Physics course.

I am currently in the process of ranking colleges.

1) Do colleges offer guaranteed accommodation to Year 2 students if they are new to the uni?

2) Do Bailey colleges offer accommodation to Year students(Castle, Hatfield etc)

3) Is going to a Bailey college worth the trek to the science buildings?

4) Is there a bus service from the Bailey to the Science buildings?
Hiya,

In regards to Q1, I'm not sure if it is guaranteed but I can certainly check. In the meantime, you can also email the college accommodation office and see what they say. [email protected] or direct your query to the ask us section on the website.

Bailey colleges do offer accommodation, but that's based on your final allocation and whether you secure college accommodation.

The Bailey isn't too far from the Science Site around 10-15 mins depending on how fast you walk, students typically pick colleges depending on whether they want catered or self catered, and how close the college is too your department. But to be honest, navigating around Durham is generally tiring no matter where you live since Durham doesn't really have even terrain. Yes, with Hill colleges, you're essentially walking down but the trek up can be tiring.

There isn't a bus service directly from the Bailey unfortunately, but there are bus services around Durham that go to the science site (but walking would be faster than trekking to the bus stop and waiting for the bus).

Hope this helps!

Ghala
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest