The Student Room Group

Politics at Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds or Loughborough?

Poll

Which Course/University

I've been given offers for:
History and Political Science at Birmingham (unconditional or AAB)
Politics at Nottingham (AAB) and Leeds (AAB)
Politics and International Relations at Manchester (AAB)
and Politics with a Minor (Economics and French) at Loughborough (ABB)

Loughborough obviously has to be my insurance choice but I'm unsure about which university should be my firm choice.

I have visited Manchester and Leeds. I really loved Leeds when I saw it (almost every aspect, the department seemed great, the accommodation was really nice and , however, from what I understand Leeds is probably the weakest of the four academically and reputation-wise when it comes to Politics. I originally applied to PPS at Leeds but was given a Politics offer which is why it is no longer one of my top choices. Also, it's not very diverse which is on my list of things I'd like at my university. When I saw Manchester I didn't like it anywhere as much as Leeds but it has a great international reputation (probably the best of the four) which is very important to me. Both of them are very far from home and I don't really know anyone going or who lives in the city (I live in London).

I have wanted to apply to Birmingham since I was doing my GCSEs because I have spent a lot of time in the city as I have lots of family nearby. It has a relatively good reputation and is the only university that I would be able to study History at (I didn't realise how much I wanted to continue with History until relatively recently). Additionally, according to a report I read, Birmingham is the most diverse RG university outside of London. Birmingham is kind of the 'place to go' at Woodhouse this year, which hasn't really influenced me, but I like the idea of already knowing a few other people at my university. Additionally, the unconditional offer is definitely an advantage as I get performance anxiety in exams and think that I'll be able to do better without so much pressure. I have tried to not let the Birmingham offer tempt me too much though.

Nottingham is another university that I've had my eye on for a while. It has a good reputation and isn't too far from London.

I would be really glad to hear from anyone who has studied or is studying these subjects at the universities stated or anywhere else. I would also appreciate hearing from students at any of these universities or anyone who would like to share their input tbh.

Thanks!
Original post by NaomiA
I've been given offers for:
History and Political Science at Birmingham (unconditional or AAB)
Politics at Nottingham (AAB) and Leeds (AAB)
Politics and International Relations at Manchester (AAB)
and Politics with a Minor (Economics and French) at Loughborough (ABB)

Loughborough obviously has to be my insurance choice but I'm unsure about which university should be my firm choice.

I have visited Manchester and Leeds. I really loved Leeds when I saw it (almost every aspect, the department seemed great, the accommodation was really nice and , however, from what I understand Leeds is probably the weakest of the four academically and reputation-wise when it comes to Politics. I originally applied to PPS at Leeds but was given a Politics offer which is why it is no longer one of my top choices. Also, it's not very diverse which is on my list of things I'd like at my university. When I saw Manchester I didn't like it anywhere as much as Leeds but it has a great international reputation (probably the best of the four) which is very important to me. Both of them are very far from home and I don't really know anyone going or who lives in the city (I live in London).

I have wanted to apply to Birmingham since I was doing my GCSEs because I have spent a lot of time in the city as I have lots of family nearby. It has a relatively good reputation and is the only university that I would be able to study History at (I didn't realise how much I wanted to continue with History until relatively recently). Additionally, according to a report I read, Birmingham is the most diverse RG university outside of London. Birmingham is kind of the 'place to go' at Woodhouse this year, which hasn't really influenced me, but I like the idea of already knowing a few other people at my university. Additionally, the unconditional offer is definitely an advantage as I get performance anxiety in exams and think that I'll be able to do better without so much pressure. I have tried to not let the Birmingham offer tempt me too much though.

Nottingham is another university that I've had my eye on for a while. It has a good reputation and isn't too far from London.

I would be really glad to hear from anyone who has studied or is studying these subjects at the universities stated or anywhere else. I would also appreciate hearing from students at any of these universities or anyone who would like to share their input tbh.

Thanks!

You really need to apply the criteria you used for Leeds such as department, accomodation as well as university facilities and course content to decide which is the best uni for you. Leeds isn't as far away as you might think- only just over 2 hours on the train. There is no point going to a university based on its international reputation if you won't be happy there. And remember most people move to uni entirely on their own and have to make friends again. Your all in the same boat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending