The Student Room Group

Aerospace Engineering Foundation Degree

Hi….As I did not study A-level maths, I will need to do a foundation degree before hopefully accessing an aerospace course at uni. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to which university would be the best to do this, and then ultimately study in? I’ve shortlisted: Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Birmingham and Loughborough. I’m from Northern Ireland so really don’t know much about any of these cities. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Jude14
Hi….As I did not study A-level maths, I will need to do a foundation degree before hopefully accessing an aerospace course at uni. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to which university would be the best to do this, and then ultimately study in? I’ve shortlisted: Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Birmingham and Loughborough. I’m from Northern Ireland so really don’t know much about any of these cities. Thanks!

i dont know about birmingham and loughbrough but manchester and sheffied are really nice places in my opinion.
Original post by Jude14

Reputation & prospects wise they are all similar. The differences are mostly slight variation in geography & size of city (or in loughboroughs case town).

Given the similar prospects between them, id look holistically at which university is best for you.
Original post by Jude14

Hi @Jude14,

Great to hear you're interested in studying at Loughborough :smile:

I was going to link you to where Loughborough is - the University is near Leicester, Nottingham and Birmingham. It's great for travelling between other cities in the UK. I also thought I'd send you some information about our campus too, as that will be good to look into for every university you're considering.

In terms of your decision, you could also find out more about each of the courses by looking at the relevant pages, such as this course page on Loughborough's Aeronautical Engineering with a Foundation Year course. I would compare each one and see if any stand out to you. You could also compare department pages (take a look at Loughborough's Aeronautical and Automotive department here).

Although there is a lot more to consider, I would also look at what the universities offer in terms of social opportunities. For instance, you could look at the societies or sports teams they offer and Students' Unions.

We do have some open days coming up if you'd like to come and take a look around, but you could also watch this video here which shows a tour of our Aeronautical and Automotive department too.

Hope this helps :smile: feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

- Lindsay
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Jude14

Hi! I would definitely recommend Sheffield, Manchester and Loughborough above all the rest. Sheffield is a great student city with low cost of living, and a very strong reputation for engineering. They also had new engineering buildings built in 2015. Manchester is more expensive, but very lively, and probably an equally as good engineering reputation (though a more prestigious overall reputation) as well as having a new 400m pound engineering campus (MECD) built in 2021. Loughborough, I believe, is also a good student city, and particularly well known for a good Aerospace engineering programme.

I wouldn't recommend Birmingham as their course is very new (began teaching Aerospace in 2018) and so first cohort of graduates only graduated 2 years ago. Also, I believe their accreditation is with IOM3, not RAeS (double check if you'd like), and, as you can imagine, you want the Royal Aeronautical Society to accredit an Aerospace degree. However, the city is great! Great campus, great community, and affordable for students.

Nottingham I've not heard too much about tbh, student life is apparently good and they have a good engineering reputation.

If I were you I'd focus on your top 3 and in which of those cities you'd like to live!

Quick Reply

Latest