The Student Room Group

LAPD shooting of homeless man

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarcasticMel
No one has made a thread about this yet? Even searched google :P

I don't know when the Americans will wake up that they not only have a gun problem but a police with guns problem.

And when justice will finally catch up with the low life scum that make up their police force.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/los-angeles-police-kill-man-in-struggle-captured-on-video-1425302531

You don't see much detail but you can hear him being shot, so be advised if you don't want to to hear this.

I think the key quote from the link is

"Homeless activists knew him by the nickname Africa, and said he was an immigrant from Cameroon with a history of mental illness who lived in a tent."

First, He is black. You lose 80% of White support right there. Even worse he is a black immigrant not from the USA, EVEN WORSE he is a black immigrant from Africa, you lose 99.99999999% of white support there.

Second, He was (More than likely) a black man between the ages of 18 to 65. There is no way in whites are going to see him as defenceless, not even if he is unarmed and outnumbered five-to-one by armed men.

He is a black brute with superhuman strength. He is the threat, not the police. Every single time.

Fourth, He was a victim of the police. Whites are afraid of blacks and depend on the police to stomp on black people. Whites want to give the police a completely free, unaccountable control when it comes to black people. That's why the police are off the chain in the first place. It is not some accident.

Also he'd better been obedient in every way possible way. He'd better not have fought for his life. He'd better not have stolen anything. He'd better not have had children out of wedlock. Because having had done those things means that he was not worth nothing.

Next the police officer will set up a fund for his defence in which white people will pour thousands into. If it goes to trial (And that's a big if) he will get off scot free and write a book about his ordeal.

Then he'll become an overnight celeb, and cash in on his new found fame. He'll get interviewed by Oprah and the like and appear on Dancing With The Stars, then he'll retire from the force due to stress with thousands in his account.

Welcome To America.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by InnerTemple
I don't agree with this.

Seems to be a sad state of affairs for the US when something fairly routine looking, which if it had occurred in the UK, would have been a scuffle and one in custody, resulted in a man's death.

I thought we were talking about the proportionality of the response administered by the officers there and then, not the general state of affairs that may have led to it. If the homeless man was in possession of a gun or was in the process of taking one from an officer, I'd say it was probably a justified response.

I don't think your comparison of the US and the UK is a good one. You have to consider gun ownership rates and the fact that police carry guns, both of which change the nature of both crime and policing drastically.
Reply 22
Original post by InnerTemple
I don't agree with this.

Seems to be a sad state of affairs for the US when something fairly routine looking, which if it had occurred in the UK, would have been a scuffle and one in custody, resulted in a man's death.

Yep, the downside of a routinely armed police force. In the UK, this might have ended up with a broken bone or something, but certainly no-one being shot.
Generally speaking, if you don't want to get shot, don't grab a police officer's firearm.
Original post by TonyRonLiverpool
racist nonsense

You do realise that the first officer to start shooting was black and that he did reach for an officer's weapon as shown by the partially cocked and jammed side arm.

He was also fighting with police as shown in the video.
Original post by DiddyDec
You do realise that the first officer to start shooting was black and that he did reach for an officer's weapon as shown by the partially cocked and jammed side arm.

He was also fighting with police as shown in the video.

It matters not.

Racism does not require that the person of the action be white. Black police officers are capable of internalizing and then acting upon the same anti-black prejudices and stereotypes as whites.

Often there is very little difference between the way that white officers and officers of colour view communities of colour and the people who live there.

What you either don’t know or refuse to realize is that the LAPD is chock full of racist cops, cops with chips on their shoulders.

I did not see any gun from the homeless guy. All I saw a sloppy swing, then the guy cr*pped his pants, asking for his stick, then they shot him after he was under control.

But of course a homeless guy on the street who most likely has not had a proper meal in days, will of course, due to him being black, turn into some Terminator, Rambo, Bruce Lee Figure and kick all of LAPD finest a.s.s

How many cops have been killed by an unarmed citizen ? ZERO.

How many times a year does a police officer get beaten to death ? ZERO.

How many officers in the field are killed each year by violence ? 0.5 per state.

There are over 900,000 sworn law enforcement officers and less than one officer per state meets a violent demise, only 100 officers are killed in the line of duty each year, mostly by vehicle accidents.

So I don't but this "He was in danger" argument

Why was he so scared ? My mum could have controlled that better.

Cops are trained to subdue a suspect with little ease by using defense tactics that allow the smallest officer to apprehend the largest suspect.
(edited 9 years ago)
x

Clearly you haven't read what happened. The homeless man grabbed the gun of an officer who had only been just under a year.

The image shows the weapon partially cocked and jammed, this was due to the struggle and the homeless man attempting to take the weapon from the officer. This the point where the situation became a life and death situation.

The officers acted accordingly and neutralised the threat. Before anyone else could be harmed.
Clearly you haven't read what happened. The homeless man grabbed the gun of an officer who had only been just under a year.

The image shows the weapon partially cocked and jammed, this was due to the struggle and the homeless man attempting to take the weapon from the officer. This the point where the situation became a life and death situation.

The officers acted accordingly and neutralised the threat. Before anyone else could be harmed.

Wheher he had the gun or not, was irrelevant, he shot him after he was subduded. The key word is after.

Had the guy been white, he would not have shot him.
(edited 9 years ago)
Wheher he had the gun or not, was irrelevant, he shot him after he was subduded. The key word is after.

He wasn't subdued. He had reached for the weapon and had gotten hold of it. Then they shot him. You can clearly hear them shouting about a gun right before they shot him.
My feeling is that the stakes are higher in the US as they are in many parts of the world, so condemning the use of lethal force because it would never be appropriate in your quiet suburb betrays a confounding ignorance of context. I can find that there were 6 in the line of duty police fatalities in the UK between 2005 and 2009, 1.2 annually and 0.00094 per 50,000 people, whereas the annual average police fatalities over a five year period up to 2012 is 159, 0.025 per 50, 000, meaning a US officer is 26 times more likely to be killed in the line of duty than their British counterpart.
Original post by pjm600
"Video appears to show the man reaching for an officer’s waistband, Mr. Beck said, adding that the officer can be heard saying, “He has my gun, he has my gun.”"

If that's true, I don't see why the police are being criticized so heavily by the OP and others. Every time the media gets hold of footage like this there's outcries of brutality and accusations of racism leveled at the police, rarely is there appreciation of the extremely challenging situations they find themselves in.

4 trained officers sitting on a single man on lying on the floor, tasering him is an "extremely challenging situation"?

Even if I could insult you on here without the mods being up my ass, there would still not be words enough to express myself.
Original post by BitWindy

I think the situation could have probably be handled better, but I resent the idea that they shot him out of base cruelty.

They did.

They are trained officers who are 4 to one against a guy on the ground being tasered.

No warm-hearted human being would fire 5 times on someone like that. There are a lot of cruel humans in the world (just read that article about the Indian rapists and their attitude) and yes, these cops are just that. Just because they are "cops" doesn't mean anything.

At the very least, this is severe case of severe incompetence that they could not handle one guy.

ps not to mention, don't you think it's ironic they shot him because they were scared the guy was going to take one of their own weapons? A) how incompetent must they be to let a guy 1 v 4 take their gun and B) if no guns had been involved he wouldn't have died. The Americans will never learn about guns.
He could have very easily used the officer's weapon to harm the officers or a member of the public. They couldn't take the risk.

So you are saying in every arrest the cops should just shoot as soon as a struggle occurs because they themselves are so incompetent one guy can get a gun off of them even 1 v 4?

Haha.

The way you play with a human's life because someone couldn't "take the risk". Disgusting.
It seems the public usually makes up its mind before the important details of a police shooting are even revealed (especially if the person killed is African American).
Gee.. homeless people still exist in US, the most powerful country in the world? That's not true. I 'm just dreaming!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
4 trained officers sitting on a single man on lying on the floor, tasering him is an "extremely challenging situation"?

Even if I could insult you on here without the mods being up my ass, there would still not be words enough to express myself.

I wasn't meaning that situation in particular, but that is a challenging situation. But if he's taken one of your guns, yes.

Another person has just taken a baton and is being wrestled with. If she gets free and cracks one of you over the head with it, goodbye children.

If the man on the floor has your gun, goodbye children.

If someone else watching has a gun, goodbye children.
Reply 36
So you are saying in every arrest the cops should just shoot as soon as a struggle occurs because they themselves are so incompetent one guy can get a gun off of them even 1 v 4?

Haha.

The way you play with a human's life because someone couldn't "take the risk". Disgusting.

You must be a troll. In the real world you don't "take the risk" with your life trying to disarm someone with a firearm. There's an immediate threat to life: you shoot them dead.
As I say, white people will always support killing black men. always. ...

Except, ya know, all those white people speaking out against it on social media, participating in protests, etc... but whatever.

Also, as I say (sarcastically); black people will always steal and attack police officers. Always.

Haha.

I never said that.

I said that in this situation the homeless man tried to use the officer's weapon which made him a credible threat to the officers and the public.

If he had not resisted and had come quietly this situation could have been avoided.

The threat was neutralised which in my mind was the correct course of action in this case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39

Haha.

Yes, thats how American cops are trained, if somebody poses a potentially deadly threat (reaching for a gun) they are trained to shoot to kill, not just once or twice but until they can't move.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending