The Student Room Group

Becoming a Doctor when i'm not ready

Hey guys, i'm in a bit of a serious pickle and need some guidance :smile:

In 2023 I sat my A-LEVEL BIO and CHEM with the hope of moving abroad to study a medical degree. Unfortunately, I obtained 2 Es due to my lack of motivation, discipline and love for this degree as my parents want me to become a doctor whereas I have no idea what to with my life and have never really been allowed to find out. I had to take out a gap year i.e. from august 2023 last year, up until now so less than 6 months really to quickly obtain minimum C's but essentially as high as I can since these a-levels will guide me throughout life.

It's currently Jan 22nd and I haven't even finished biology yet and i'm freaking out. According to the College (Where I will resit), I have less than a week to decide wether I can take another year out, be 20, and start a medical degree or just spend 300 pounds now (which I will have to pay back) and just essentially fail all over again because quite frankly, I don't feel ready. I haven't finished biology yet and I haven't even started Chemistry and there's 4 and a half months left and I've been doing exam questions and they have been very mediocre. My thinking currently is that, I cant even pass ALEVEL BIO and CHEM and yet I'm being pushed to get into a medical degree. In addition, throughout this "year" (5 months), I have had severe family issues to the point where I had left my home and essentially posted myself homeless because I would rather be homeless, was convinced to come back home by siblings and 3 months later I got kicked out by my parents and currently I have been living away for a month now. I had returned home after a week of being kicked out and they denied my stay due to me not accepting their tough "conditions" yet 3 days later they've suddenly asked me to come home, which I will be returning to in 3 days (so wish me luck :smile:))

im summary, I have been given the opportunity to become a doctor and its a fantastic opportunity but its been forced down my throat to the point where there's no point of living if im not a doctor and im just a failure poor man who wont be able to look after his family. Ever since ive been away from home, i'm staring to enjoy science a teeny bit but still, I dont feel anything icl. im not ready to start the degree now as i'm doing mediocre on exam questions, haven't even finished bio, haven't even started chemistry, cant even get into the university and I have to choose wether to take another year out (if im even allowed to do that) or just finish chemistry in 4 and a half months and see if I can get in instead of feeling ready and having the want and love for studying med

sorry for all of this but man its a tough situation. taking any advice I can get, much appreciated. have a lovely day guys
(edited 3 months ago)
If you don't want to be a doctor, don't do a medical degree and don't become a doctor.

There are innumerable other careers out there. Just do some other qualification(s) that suit your interests and strengths, do well in those, and pursue a career afterwards (which may or may not be related to the academic subject(s) you studied).

A-levels won't "guide you through life". After university admissions they become largely irrelevant. And plenty of degrees don't even have any specific subject requirements and so you just need to do well in anything to meet grade requirements (hence, just pick what you enjoy...).
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending