The Student Room Group

Which Big 4 did you turn down and why?

Scroll to see replies

Nothing, but disappointment of trying and failing is easier to deal with than the disappointment of never trying anyway, which is the true essence of the word "failure". By the same token, what use is being on the ground when you want to be amongst the stars, atleast you'll be closer to them on the moon.
LBC213
I do a physics degree with 25 hours contact time a week, with another around 20 hours of outside work on top. I also run a company, am President of an inter-university business competition, co-founder/vice president of my uni's investment club and managing a £100,000 budget for my university's 100th anniversary ball.

My work commitments are easily more than 60 hours a week, but I still find enough time and energy to go out for drinks with friends, meet family and whatever else that people do in life.

Depends on how much gimping you intend to do in life.

Lol your actually doing 20 hours a week outside lectures.
Reply 82
Christ, you kids are such hard work.
material breach
Lol your actually doing 20 hours a week outside lectures.

Yes.
i don't know why thats funny if you want to suceed in any degree, you need to put in that effort and commit the required amount of time.
Narb, you like a yoyo...you keep changing your mind about banking, one minute you dont wanna consider it, the next you do and now you dont...i guess you realized you wont be able to get into it, hence sticking with accountancy...what happened with "its about the money" crap.
Reply 86
LBC213
I wouldn't apply to Big 4 even if it meant I would be unemployed.

By the way, some bankers and traders' earnings easily outstrip those of most "millionaire self employed business men".

Ladies and gents, we've had a new winner. The 'biggest head and ego' award goes to YOU sir.

Do you have a job lined up at an IB? Because if you're serious about what you said...i would laugh my ass off at you if you don't get an offer. Good luck to you, but that was a super stupid statement. If you don't get IB, the Big4 are the next stop down. Where you gonna go? BDO? GT? Unemployed? To the middle east to some no name IB? I'd be amazed if you stuck by that moronic statement...

I won't even start on your 'some...' statement...
Reply 87
Mussy, do me a favour and shut your stupid ****ing mouth, when you have any achievements worth bragging about, any experience of the real world, then come back and speak to me.

As it is, I did get abit money crazed and did consider banking a few months back, I've since come to my senses, it would be a piece of cake for me to be a banker if I wanted to, but I don't, so piss off and get studying for your GCSE's or whatever it is you're doing at the mo.
x.narb.x
Mussy, do me a favour and shut your stupid ****ing mouth, when you have any achievements worth bragging about, any experience of the real world, then come back and speak to me.

As it is, I did get abit money crazed and did consider banking a few months back, I've since come to my senses, it would be a piece of cake for me to be a banker if I wanted to, but I don't, so piss off and get studying for your GCSE's or whatever it is you're doing at the mo.

he works for a FTSE 250, which is real world experience, read the sig man
by the way how is econpal coming along man?
Browneyedboi
by the way how is econpal coming along man?

mate no1 posts, we got about 100 members but no1 wants to post lol. its kinda gone second string to these drop in sessions we running for first year students at my uni.
o skeen.
brabzzz
Ladies and gents, we've had a new winner. The 'biggest head and ego' award goes to YOU sir.

Do you have a job lined up at an IB? Because if you're serious about what you said...i would laugh my ass off at you if you don't get an offer. Good luck to you, but that was a super stupid statement. If you don't get IB, the Big4 are the next stop down. Where you gonna go? BDO? GT? Unemployed? To the middle east to some no name IB? I'd be amazed if you stuck by that moronic statement...

Don't worry about me, worry about yourself home boy. I already have my offers for internships.

Either way, I couldn't give a **** if I didn't get into banking. I do a physics degree, not some whack degree that keeps me tied to a career in banking, accounting and finance. You think banking and accounting are the only 2 graduate level destinations? LOL you're a bigger clown than you seem to think I am.

At the end of the day, I have 3 more years left on my degree, I'm setting up businesses, I am fairly confident I will have atleast 1 to pursue, if I so wish, after I finish.

I won't even start on your 'some...' statement...

What about it? The DB head of communications in Frankfurt told me she thinks Anshu Jain, head of global markets, earnt around 40-50m Euros last year. There are thousands of bankers getting paid more than a million pounds in bonuses every year. Don't read the business section of the BBC? :rolleyes:

Traders at hedge funds are creaming money better than most business people, the "average top hedge fund manager" is taking home $363m a year, according to latest statistics. The highest one clocked up $1.5bn.

The percentage of businesses that start up that make it pass the million, let alone the billion, mark is much smaller than those who start out in trading.
Browneyedboi
o skeen.

lol
Reply 94
sorry, forgive me for interrupting your debate/argument. what is wrong with the Big 4 anyways?

and barcelona anyday :wink:
Reply 95
LBC213
I wouldn't apply to Big 4 even if it meant I would be unemployed.

By the way, some bankers and traders' earnings easily outstrip those of most "millionaire self employed business men".

With all due respect, LBC, I find that very hard to believe. Why on earth would anyone prefer to sit on their lazy bum at home and claim Jobseeker's Allowance as opposed to working for a presitigious accountancy firm and earn hecks more? Fair play the work may be dull and all but claiming that working in the Big4 is much less desirable than being unemployed is complete & utter lunacy.
It was a slight exaggeration relax. I would never apply to a Big 4 though, that's for sure. Would go off on a PhD instead.
i should cut out my slang. LBC could i ask what your business does? and what internships you have been offered if not here in a PM at least, yeah that is true why does everyone seem to assume banking and finance is only graduate level jobs. there are SO many more esp since you do a science degree, more alternatives.
Reply 98
Alright alright the two don't exactly equate but I'm sure you get what I meant.
LBC123
It was a slight exaggeration relax. I would never apply to a Big 4 though, that's for sure. Would go off on a PhD instead.

Ah, awesome. Now we're talking!
wawrwinka

hope you dont mind me asking...how much do you enjoy all those ECs? I'll be at university soon and am not the type to push myself into things I don't enjoy. Is uni basically full of forcing yourself into pointless things to make yourself seem more employable, because none of the above, in fact no ECs I've heard of at uni (except for investment socs and sport) appeal to me at all. And also do you get a lot (in terms of learning) from those ECs, or do you do it for the CV? And, again if I can ask, what kind of company do you run? cheers if you answer.

Yep, I enjoy all the activities that I do. I'm constantly in touch with important, successful and intellectual people, and that is something I value a lot in life. Through my EC activities I regularly meet millionaire business people and/or bankers with whom I can discuss the mechanics of business etc.

I also get a lot from the ECs, from the start of term until now alone I've gained enough experiences to answer any of the competency questions without too much trouble.

I don't do stuff just for the CV, only if I truly believe in something then I get involved in it.

As to the company I run, well send me a PM, not keen on public discussion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending