The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

swntzu
I applied last year for Chem Eng via Eng at Catz last year.

I'd be happy to answer any questions that you guys have.

Hi swntzu! I've applied for Chem Eng this year, and they've offered me a phone interview (can't make it to England cos plane tickets are EXPENSIVE!) If you could just brief me on what kind of questions they ask, that would be really helpful. Thanks!

By the way, people, what the HECK is a resistor cube????
BlackFiresong
Hi swntzu! I've applied for Chem Eng this year, and they've offered me a phone interview (can't make it to England cos plane tickets are EXPENSIVE!) If you could just brief me on what kind of questions they ask, that would be really helpful. Thanks!

By the way, people, what the HECK is a resistor cube????

From what I hear it's a cube shape with resistors along every edge. Here are some links:

Javalab

http://server.oersted.dtu.dk/personal/ldn/javalab/Circuit09.html

How to solve a resistor cube:

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/65234.html

I think most of us at Catz got asked about calculus and some issues from our PS.

I take it you are applying through Engineering for first year?
Interview tomorow, and I've done little to no preparation. Am I doomed? Should I have a flick through my AS and A2 work? Any advice?

Also regarding possible academic questions asked. Am I suposed to know say the Young's Modulus equation which I covered about 9 months ago? :s-smilie:
winnie the poo
Interview tomorow, and I've done little to no preparation. Am I doomed? Should I have a flick through my AS and A2 work? Any advice?

Also regarding possible academic questions asked. Am I suposed to know say the Young's Modulus equation which I covered about 9 months ago? :s-smilie:

I NEVER covered Young's modulus in my course (Advanced Higher).

Have a flick through the A Level course but don't cram. Just try your best!
Reply 24
winnie the poo

I've done virtualy no preperation, I mean, out of all the physics and maths that I've done, I can't revise it all. Most of it I can a) remember or b) work out with a little effort.

Apparently converting things into differential equations would be good, there's that 'classic' question about escape velocity that needs it.
I hate integration :frown:
Reply 26
Queens' sent me a questionnaire with like tick boxes about all the topics that i've covered/not covered. I sent it back, and they lost it, lol. I was panicing last week, btu good job i was organised n made a copy of it, lol.
hope i dont get asked any questions on electronics, i cnt do it, lol.
super_qi2
hope i dont get asked any questions on electronics, i cnt do it, lol.

don't worry, neither can any of this year's freshers, either :wink:
Reply 28
My interview is next monday, I am getting a bit nervous...!
Reply 29
Haha, I ended up getting questions on resistors, which i managed to do with a bit of help, lol.
Reply 30
I know this may seem stupid but I'm quite scared the interviewers have a really bad accent and I won't understand anything!!!
Flopifloor
I know this may seem stupid but I'm quite scared the interviewers have a really bad accent and I won't understand anything!!!

Accents shouldn't really be a problem given you'll mainly exchange technical stuff in your subject interview, and your general interviewer should put you at ease. If you don't understand, just ask again and make sure you know what they want. Good luck!
Reply 32
I don't have a terrific sense of hearing, and I often have to ask again what people have said. If it happens, just grin and bear it. Hopefully they'll understand, and make an effort.
Reply 33
Flopifloor

i had a bit of a problem with this, and wasn't sure what i was being asked to do, but you get through it

Latest

Trending

Trending